Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hay there guys. I am seeking a little bit of advice - as I am relatively new to owning an Alfa, and whilst I am enjoying it, it confuses me a bit! Lol.

Anyway.. Wednesday night on my way home from work, had what I would describe as a few 'slips'. You know when the power drops under traction? It felt like it was slipping, but it would be when the engine is under load.. Only happened twice, as it was raining like mad - I thought nothing of it.

Went to top up the oil on Friday AM, turned over the engine - struggled to start.. Struggled in reverse, juddering like mad. Let it warm up a little an idle, no problems.. About 10 miles into my journey - I began to get the MCSF flashing up, accompanied by a flashing engine management light.. Chilled out on the revs, seemed fine. Anyway. As the journey progressed, it started flashing more and more.. Car juddered under any sort of load or rev, only if the accelerator is feathered slightly will it build speed. Struggles in 1st and 2nd. Didn't seem to mind fourth all that much? If I accelerate - it will judder and then bring up the MCSF light. It seems to clear and then accelerate like there is no issue?

Anyway. By the time it came to go home - the Engine Management light was now fixed to the dashboard, and if I dare try to use the throttle it beeps at me! Lol.. Driving it is all fine as long as your calm and drive under low-revs (under 2-2500rpm).

I have read through some threads here on the forums, which seems to suggest coils, ht leads, spar plugs? And that it's not much use posting without fault codes! I will be getting these tomorrow and will thrash them on here to see what you think.

Does anything pop out as obvious from what I have described?
It's a 147 2.0TS 16V Lusso.

Any help and guidance is appreciated!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had all sorts of MCSF warnings on my old 156 JTS - but the symptoms you describe replicate those I had with coil pack failure. Drive gently and it's OK, give it some revs and the MCSF light flashes. As far as I know it only flashes for a coil pack, anything else and it stays on permanently until the problem is fixed. (PS - I am a Grandad, we don't all drive like that).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for being stereotypical - I didn't mean to cause any offence.. :) I should say 'driven under extremely low-revs..

Any idea what the fault code would read to indicate the coils? Or will it just present itself as a misfire? If so - are they swappable to see if the fault travels to a different cyclinder? Or is it likely to be all of them?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Generally if a coilpack has failed the fault code will signal a missfire, and the diagnosis is to swap the coilpack around and see if the missfire code moves with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No offence at all Mr JimmyBob. Mrs Slog constantly berates me for calling doddering drivers "Grandad". "You're one too you know", she says. "Yes, but I can drive", I reply. Steely silence for next hundred miles. Check coil pack on plug 2 - for some reason these are the ones that most commonly fail.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad there was no offence taken ;)

The code received indicated a misfire on cylinder 2.. Noticed that upon acceleration down hill or at certain sporadic times across the flat there was no issue.. Always when under load. I will swap them over tommorow and see if the fault codes travel.

I have seen mentioned that you can obd sensors for personal use. Can any recommend a relatively cheap but accurate reader I can get for myself. I have access to a laptop and or smartphone.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts