Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings- I was elated when my parts arrived from Centerline two days ago and immediately installed the new drivers's side door handle. To my dismay, when I tried to accuate the handle, there was a lot of resistance, so I didn't try to force it (and brake another handle ! ). Is there another part of the handle "linkage" that needs to be either straightened or lubricated? Are there any tweaks or tricks to make the mechanism as a whole perform more smoothly with less effort? (as not to break another handle!) As the view into the door cavity is somewhat limited , I thought asking this question might save me a lot of frustration. Thanks in advance, Paul

·
Registered
455 Posts
Greetings- I was elated when my parts arrived from Centerline two days ago and immediately installed the new drivers's side door handle. To my dismay, when I tried to accuate the handle, there was a lot of resistance, so I didn't try to force it (and brake another handle ! ). Is there another part of the handle "linkage" that needs to be either straightened or lubricated? Are there any tweaks or tricks to make the mechanism as a whole perform more smoothly with less effort? (as not to break another handle!) As the view into the door cavity is somewhat limited , I thought asking this question might save me a lot of frustration. Thanks in advance, Paul
Yes there is adjustment for the outer door handle on the 164. When you reconnected the new outer handle via the little tab that accommodates the inner kinked wire it maybe that the small plastic connector at the base of that first upper vertical wire has rotated on the next wire. This small almost cube shaped piece of white plastic has a knotch on each side and when the upper wire is disconnected can be rotated on the lower wire which runs through its axis. The ease with which the door can be unlatched using the outer handle is controlled by which of the four edges is selected when seating the upper linkage wire. Sorry about how confused this may sound but when you have removed the inner upper door card you will understand .Always easier when trying g to reconnect the outer handle to the inner linkages to have an extra pair of hands holding one side steady as you line up the linkage.
Good luck and it may help you save the other three handles from tearing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not Confusing at all, Thank you!

Fortunately I have encountered a similar adjustment on a different car sometime in the past. Your description pointed me right to the adjustment piece which was in the lowest position. The problem that I'm having is that the plastic piece is slightly broken at the base where it enters the metal holder and it won't hold the setting that I place it in. Are these "adjusters" available online anywhere? Wish that I knew someone with a 3D printer, looks like a fairly easy piece to duplicate. Thank you, Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts