Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The replacement for my broken camera arrived special delivery at 8.30am this morning so I took it with me on my Saturday morning dog walk. When you bear in mind that I was never that keen on getting a dog, the fact that I like to be up and out of the house before 9 with her is a bit peculiar I suppose but I digress. Anyway, a few snaps from a 6-mile walk with Molly the collie.

The bridge over the Irwell at Ringley.

The mighty Irwell itself.

Clock tower at St Saviour's church Ringley and the church itself.

Where I'd like to put Carlos Tevez.

The first part of our route takes in the long defunct Mancheaster Bury and Bolton Canal. This section is more or less gone but the canal society recently uncovered this mile marker.

Molly is rarely still long enough to get a picture but I tried.

The stone flags used to be the towpath for the canal.

All that remains of the canal on this stretch.

Still, briefly.

The canal followed the Irwell into Manchester and you can just make out the M60 in the distance here.

From the canal, we switch to the route that the East Lancashire railway took. Again it is long defunct. All that remains is a station platform further up the line.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was going to call this Death Valley at dawn but I didn't get up early enough so it's Death Valley at just gone half nine. (Death Valley is what locals call the section of the M60 where it crosses the Irwell Valley. Bus spotters might be able to pick out a Leyland Leopard in one of these pics.

Stop taking pictures and get a move on! It seems weird that as we stand on this leafy lane, the M60 is less than 100 feet away.

Manchester skyline. The big ridiculous building is the incredibly ugly Beetham tower.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Another Saturday morning dog walk where I remembered the camera. Once again the route takes in the Manchester, Bury and Bolton canal but this time some of the sections have water in them and you can see why it actually fell into disuse. There's even a bit of smut for Al.

This stretch of canal leads to the charmingly named Nob End Basin (Fnarr Fnarr) where the three branches of the canal meet.

We cross the Irwell on the carthorse bridge.

In order to get a shot of Prestolee viaduct.

From there we take in the staircase lock up to the Bury stretch. This must have been quite spectacular in its day when barges full of coal were going through.

This is how it looked back in the day (with thanks to the Pennine waterways website).

This section of canal goes to Bolton and is in reasonable nick given that it's 150 years old.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This stretch heads to Bury and is, frankly, knackered!

This is because the canal wall gave way in 1936 and spilled the contents into the Irwell in the valley below. You gan see the exposed ironwork in places.

The breach was pretty much the end for the whole canal. It was still being used at the time but it was declining because the collieries etc. in the area were also in decline so no money could be found to fix it.

Sadly we had to call it a day because the towpath was so icy it was dangerous both me and the dog nearly ended up in the drink several times. A shame because further along there is an 150 year old steam crane that is now a listed monument. I shall return though.

Heading back you get a good view of Kearsley Mill which used to make textiles at one time but is now divided into various industrial units.

As ever, the dog remains completely uninterested in the local history that fascinates me.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some interesting pics keithboy :thumbs: also noted down the Leyland Leopard shame I couldn't see reg number though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Very interesting pics KB - Complete with a storyline + a bit of local history etc... I've just been through them all several times, plus your previous post, and thoroughly enjoyed them. :thumbs:

Have you considered submitting them to any of the local Lancashire area weekly/monthly publications?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part three, picking up at the lock and canal wall breach where we left it last time in Mancunian drizzle - glad I brought the sunblock!

I was thinking it might help if you were to imagine Julia Bradbury doing the narrative so I've included a picture of her to start.

Heading from Nob End to Bury, this is the straircase lock seen from the other side. I'm actually stood in what was the canal at this point.

The trees sprouting beyond the wall are where the canal wall used to be.

The mile markers show the distance to Manchester.

Back to Mancunian urban decay now. At one point a factory was built on top of where the canal used to be.

Bloody hell, a canal with actual water in it:

And wildlife which shat the dog right up.

Not idea what these gateposts were the entrance to and none of the websites help.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the Mount Sion steam crane which was use to unload coal for the bleach works in the valley below. It's over 150 years old and is a grade II listed structure.

Bridge #16

Authentic northern cobbles, the whole scene reeks of flat caps and whippets.

Now I don't know a huge amount about pressure vessels but I'm guessing this one won't pass inspection.

Somewhere down there in the gloom, there is a foot bridge over the Irwell which will take us in the direction of home:

Finally, the swirling depths of the mighty river Irwell as we cross the bridge. for some reason it always looks like Bisto when it rains.

Molly unimpressed as ever:

My next set of pics will take in the route of the East Lancs railway which is even more defunct than the canal. Whilst walking there last weekend, we saw some deer but I had no camera.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mainly to demonstrate that it doesn't always rain in Manchester, we had a family outing up Rivington Pike this afternoon in glorious sunshine (though it was still a touch nippy).

At the bottom of the hill is Rivington Hall and barn, a popular meeting point for bikers and occasional the Alfas (and Volvos and Saabs) of the AONW massive. On the slope approaching the pike there used to be a fantastic terraced garden but this fell foul of Thatcher's Britain in the 80s when the council ran out of money to maintain it. Not much is left of it now. From the top of the pike you can see across to Winter Hill where Lancashire gets its telly signal from, and across to Blackpool and the Irish Sea. Somewhere down there is the Reebok Stadium where passionate football fans can go to see their favourite team Bolton Wanderers Nil (at least that's what they call them on final score) get soundly beaten every week.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
those are seriously atmospheric pictures and places, Keithyboy. Next time you go walking, can I come please? :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
those are seriously atmospheric pictures and places, Keithyboy. Next time you go walking, can I come please? :)
Tomorrow is my last day off work so I'll be out again if you fancy it.

We are very fortunate in that whilst we live a 10 minute train ride from the centre of Manchester, the River Irwell runs a few hundred yards past our house and the valley is full of paths and trails. Throw in a fair bit of Victorian industry which brought now disused canals and railways and the scope for walking is endless. When the local paths are exhausted, a short car ride takes us to places like Rivington for today's outing.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cracking pics keithy :cool:

what's the structure being built in the last one? looks like an electric pylon?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
Tomorrow is my last day off work so I'll be out again if you fancy it.

We are very fortunate in that whilst we live a 10 minute train ride from the centre of Manchester, the River Irwell runs a few hundred yards past our house and the valley is full of paths and trails. Throw in a fair bit of Victorian industry which brought now disused canals and railways and the scope for walking is endless. When the local paths are exhausted, a short car ride takes us to places like Rivington for today's outing.
sounds like a wonderful place to live boss, especially for site-seeing walks :thumbs:

thank you for your offer, but i'm back to work tomorrow, and about 400 miles away alas :(

Enjoy your walk tomorrow :thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cracking pics keithy :cool:

what's the structure being built in the last one? looks like an electric pylon?
This one?

The big white thing is the Reebok Stadium, Bolton's ground.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts