Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they dumbing down or something?
Since when is 'torques' a unit of measurement?
And "Mercedes limit this car to 155mph because that's all various parts can handle". No they don't, they limit it to 155mph because that's the law for German marques.
Small things of course, but they just didn't ring right. You don't want them talking down, or simply lying, to us.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Are they dumbing down or something?
Since when is 'torques' a unit of measurement?
And "Mercedes limit this car to 155mph because that's all various parts can handle". No they don't, they limit it to 155mph because that's the law for German marques.
Small things of course, but they just didn't ring right. You don't want them talking down, or simply lying, to us.
Agreed :( :( :(

G

·
Bazza, did you go back to your computer to write on this subject because like me you couldn't stand that idiot any longer. He's just hoping it will catch on to feed his enormous ego even further.
It will probably catch on with the imitation burberry cap brigade
My missus won't even stay in the room when TG is on.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Was it a Clarkson joke, "a thousand torques". Not many journalists/writers have the slightest idea about mechanical stuff.

G

·
You didn't miss much tonight zf, it was just a revamp of virtually any Top Gear programme from the last 4 years. I predict its demise.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I don't think its the law that German cars are limited to 155 mph (after all, Porche aren't), and it is probably true that some of the components, such as the tyres and brakes, aren't designed for speeds greater than 155 mph.

I do think the point Clarkson was making is valid though, some of the tunning companies don't really improve on the original...

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Have to be totally honest over this, have seen a few of the episodes in the past, but when it started to resemble some sort of auction, people penned in, auctioneers out front, taking bids on laughs. Gave up!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Are all alfa owners anti top gear?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
No, just irritated with Fat Cats making mega dosh, with something I feel has lost it's way. But I do respect others opinions, without obviously agreeing with them.So,if some enjoy it, good on 'Em.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
No, just irritated with Fat Cats making mega dosh, with something I feel has lost it's way. But I do respect others opinions, without obviously agreeing with them.So,if some enjoy it, good on 'Em.
thank god for that, i thought i was going to have to get another car:D

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Thats the other bit ady, they never show they love Alfa's, and yet some years back, JC was over the moon with the Lancia Inte' which I have on tape, and as I love both, I don't love 'im.Sure the Inte was a bit special, but so is our Alfa in a different sort of way.

·
Administrator
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think its the law that German cars are limited to 155 mph (after all, Porche aren't), and it is probably true that some of the components, such as the tyres and brakes, aren't designed for speeds greater than 155 mph.

OK, 'law' possibly wasn't correct. If I remember rightly, the German government were considering introducing a speed limit on all roads, the German marques suggested the 155 limiter as an alternative, in order to stop the government from doing so. So I think it's voluntary, but still a general rule. Not sure if it's the case that Porsche aren't included.

·
Administrator
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are all alfa owners anti top gear?:rolleyes:
I'm not at all Anti TG in fact. I don't watch it religiously, but tend to enjoy it when I do. As I said, that particular review just rang false for me.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,106 Posts
re: the 155mph limit; this is a gentleman's agreement initially between Merc, BMW and maybe Audi to voluntarily limit the speed of their cars to appease the vocal Green parties in Germany. Other have since jumped on the bandwagon, some dropped off, and some - I'm sure - have lied about having this limiter fitted (which is one some limited to 155mph cars seem to go faster than that when tested)

g

·
Banned
1,680 Posts

I do think the point Clarkson was making is valid though, some of the tunning companies don't really improve on the original...
interesting but TOTALLY dull fact about the 155 limit in German (predominantly) made cars.

if you crash a motor vehicle at a speed in excees of 155mph (or rather the KMH equiv) on a public road..........you're not insured. :eek: I have this on good understanding and if anyone can disprove this, I will graciously accept it.

(and 'torques' is JC's p155take at the motor journalists themselves)

·
Administrator
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
(and 'torques' is JC's p155take at the motor journalists themselves)
Oh well, if there's a back-story which explains that, then fair enough. As a casual viewer it just seemed either lazy or patronising.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.