Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...... well you know that different cars are associated with different "types" of people - ie Corsa's either old ladies or boy racers, same for saxo's, Clio's and Ka's with young women, Honda's and Rovers with older men.

So my question is - does the 166 appeal to a certain age range or across the board.

Don't want offend anyone or appear rude I'm just wondering.

I'm 42 Mrs JonC is 39 I've had 166's for around 5/6 years, before I discovered Alfa's I preferred Japanese cars - Mazda and Nissans.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Can't help you on 166, but according to my 15 year old daughter, 164s are owned by "old beardy weirdies"!

(and they're SO uncool....)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Good question...not my opinion but would imagine all other car drivers would see you as someone who has a warped view on car buying..i dare say many would think you havn't got a clue on what constitutes a 'good' car!...

..such is their ignorance!

In answer to your question then...someone from a rough council estate, who needed a dirt cheap car with mot desperately and the 166 just came up via a friend of a friend,so he bought it!

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
When newish, I'd say a businessman with style or wanting to look stylish and cool would have one, as opposed to the 5 series' driver in his Boring Man's Wheels who just follows the sheep with his all-so-predictable choice.
Nowadays, a still-cool older car that looks the part. Just stick a private plate on it if it's really old and people will admire it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
...not my opinion but would imagine all other car drivers would see you as someone who has a warped view on car buying..i dare say many would think you havn't got a clue on what constitutes a 'good' car!...
That's pretty much the overriding opinion I get. I'm an engineer 29. And I appreciate fine automotive. For example I've also bought myself a brand new MV Agusta motorcycle and a Ducati motorcycle brand new in the past as well. Sometimes I appreciate the aesthetics of an item more then how well it performs (example - Alfa, MV Agusta).

it borders on mocking how my friends initially refer to the Alfa, but then people do raise their eyebrows though once they sit in the thing and realise it's pretty much the best interior they have ever sat in. It sounds lovely, goes quite well, super comfortable. Instead of mocking they just never mention anything negative about it again.

I do make a few jokes about the car myself though with regard to maintenance. It's true there is always somethign wrong with it and it's good to have a laugh at yourself with your mates. You can't take it too seriously when you suddenly get hit with an enormous bill for more then the car is worth just to fix an oil leak or central locking or something. You gotta laugh.

That's how I view alfas anyway, it's like a little club for people who value aesthetics above function sometimes. Car owners can be a bit shy. I've noticed in the motorcycle world it's a lot more open, we all nod at eachother, wave etc etc... If you meet another MV Agusta rider you both immediately have the understanding that you may not be riding the fastest or best performing bike, but you are people with great taste in machinery and appreciate how something is assembled and materials used and design rather then just how fast it can go from 0-60 etc...

G

·
0 Posts
Yes that all sounds about right to me . Used to get annoyed with the non alfisti but now I just nod and smile and think if they only knew :lol: got past trying to persuade them other wise now I just enjoy with an enigmatic smile:p

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well I am 28 years old. Not sure but I may be the youngest 166 owner ever!!

I used to have a 159. Everyone kept telling me how good looking that was. It was a striking car. I don't get so many glances with the 166 but I think that is down to it being more Subtle. It's still a beautiful car. The dash has a classy feel and I love the way the chrome runs from the scuttle panel to the rear screen.

I would have associated the 166 with a more mature person. I think with it being produced to compete with the boring 5 series then one can only imagine that middle age men drive them! For all it's faults I still love it and I love looking at it!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It appears that the 166 appeals to all people of all walks of life and all ages men and women alike. For me the 166 shows a touch of class, one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven, well equipped and a noise that makes me drool :cool:

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've had 46 Alfas and lots of other marques including Fiat, Citroen (XM 3.0 24v!), Saab, Volvo and the Germans. Maybe 75 cars in total.

Not sure why the 166 appeals to me but I've had 6 or 7 of them starting six years ago and I still have the first one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had 46 Alfas and lots of other marques including Fiat, Citroen (XM 3.0 24v!), Saab, Volvo and the Germans. Maybe 75 cars in total.

Not sure why the 166 appeals to me but I've had 6 or 7 of them starting six years ago and I still have the first one.
I think someone needs to invent a medical condition for this :lol:

I can believe it though, I'm on 22 cars over 12 years and I know some people who buy a lot more. I get taxed every time I buy a car where I live now, so I've slowed down somewhat since it's a lot harder to buy a car cheap and turn it over for profit. The tax takes the profit out of it.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
I think someone needs to invent a medical condition for this :lol:

I can believe it though, I'm on 22 cars over 12 years and I know some people who buy a lot more. I get taxed every time I buy a car where I live now, so I've slowed down somewhat since it's a lot harder to buy a car cheap and turn it over for profit. The tax takes the profit out of it.
The 166 condition is kent as POMEOITUS .Not sure aboot rhr ithet bitty swuibby.
Jon thrre wiz a fred osn hear s long time ago aboot the age of 166ers.
Pomeo

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Of course.... we rarely have a single motive for doing things like car buying. I had never considered a 164 and was actually looking for a Jag when I bought my first 164. I was expecting a car with a nice engine, but where no two electrical systems would ever be trouble-free simultaneously and where the bottom would rot out of it as I was driving down the road. Needless to say (3 164s later) I was pleasantly surprised on both counts! For me, I'd consider a 166 if / when I could no longer manage to keep a 164 on the road. I'm sure earlier comments about new purchases (where you get someone who is looking for that kind of car but just just want to be one of the "BMW herd") are right on the money. They're likely to be connoisseurs of cars (to some extent) who will be prepared to forgive the foibles for the sake of having a throughbred.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think the 166 appeals to a lot of people, but like most Alfa's it is also avoided by many who belive they are bad cars. Anyway. what other car can offer so much style, individuality and enjoyment as a 166? Especially if you have obtained a 166 that will do a years running around without too many bills.... and often at very little money.
I am 49 and wanted an Alfa since I was 9. I have now two Alfa's, one 166 3.0 V6 and a 2.0 TS Spider. Both bring on a bigger smile then when I have to take the company MB E320 Sports to a customer. I have unfortunately had two 166's crashed and the process of finding something to replace it has always led me back to yet another 166.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts