Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See Pistonheads - Biofuel Timebomb story.
It seems that the percentage of Biofuel in standard unleaded fuel will be increasing to 10% from many petrol stations next year. This can have a potentially disastrous corrosive effect on alloy components and seals in the fuel system. There is a very incomplete list of cars which are E10 fuel compatible on the Pistonheads site. Of course the 916 GTV and Spider are not listed. So can anyone provide a definitive and concrete answer as to whether we have anything to worry about?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I'm no expert on bio fuel or engines but....

Wouldn't it just be a case of changing the way the fuel is delivered to the engine? (alloy fuel rail) :confused:

·
Registered
37,737 Posts
Stupid Tree-Huggers thinking they are doing something good, but in fact they are doing the opposite.

Plus the EU with their laws being imposed upon us.

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
Plus the EU with their laws being imposed upon us.
I don't think this is an EU issue.

The UK gave the Petrol companies a tax break for using 5% Ethanol in Petrol several years ago, that meant that for the same forecourt price the company made more money.

As a result, unleaded in the UK has been E5 for quite a while now.

As for increasing the Ethanol quantity we need to ask the guys in Brazil, they have been running E80 for years!

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Both Mr PG's Jag and Spidey fall foul of this. Gutted! We still use unleaded in the Toledo though with additives - I wonder how long before additives hit the market for this.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I wish I could be smug about this, but the LPG station on the way to work has closed because the forecourt weren't making any money on it. :(

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
What about the car that runs on compressed air! Does anyone remember the fibre-glass cars that had the air forcing the pistons and they had a strange spluttering noise.A French company was going to do a deal with a South Island company to produce these cars for this part of the world.These cars were trialled in South America.But I have a sneaky suspicion that maybe the oil companies may have had a hand in the demise of this car.Our children`s children are really going to hate us...

Read more: Confusion over biofuel compatibility - Story - National - 3 News

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
As far as I know the compressed air fuel has the same problem as lead acid battery - low energy density, so in order to get a useful range, the fuel store has to be obscenely heavy.

I think it's been used as a form of regenerative braking before though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unless you're feeling lucky, it's definitely better to stick with fuels containing no more than 5% of ethanol (E5). Some EU-countries switched over to E10 already in January and so far there's been very few Alfas in E10 compatibility lists. For instance in Finland and Germany (lists linked) only most recent models are included. E10 is not recommended to ANY 916 engine type (TS or V6).

I'd be confident E10 can be used in emergency situations and especially if mixed with E5, but I wouldn't take the risk to use E10 in the long run - even if recommendations are over-cautious. It probably has to do with the materials Luigi-the-car-engineer decided to use for the fuel system. These Italian miracles get sick for smaller reasons so why take the risk...

At least where I live E5 is (and probably will be) available in practice at all fuel stations. However, it's always 98 octane. So if you need the octanes - you go with the now more expensive E5 (case with my Audi), and in case your car doesn't like the extra booze - you go with E5 (case with my Alfa).

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
What about the car that runs on compressed air! Does anyone remember the fibre-glass cars that had the air forcing the pistons and they had a strange spluttering noise.A French company was going to do a deal with a South Island company to produce these cars for this part of the world.These cars were trialled in South America.But I have a sneaky suspicion that maybe the oil companies may have had a hand in the demise of this car.Our children`s children are really going to hate us...

Read more: Confusion over biofuel compatibility - Story - National - 3 News
You copied that comment straight off the thread without quoting! No wonder I was confused about the reference to the south island (I thought, is Andy suddenly a Kiwi... :lol:)

-Alex

1 - 20 of 35 Posts