Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Not so bad as some are saying for fuel injected cars but anything on carbs and / or with a steel fuel tank can suffer from water accumulating in the carbs or corrosion of the fuel tank and consequential holed tanks, blocked filters or blocked carb jets.

High "E" fuel absorbs moisture that eventually settles out causing the corrosion.

Or that is what the common complaint is from our yank cousins riding classic motorbikes. The yanks are already on E15 (15% ethanol) I believe.

1/2 the world is starving or at least going hungry and we are growing crops for fuel. I am a petrol head but this is madness especially when, in my opinion, the fuel cell has not been developed because the power source (water) would mean that the energy is to cheap so no profit for the oil guys and no taxes for the government.

Look at this country. All we used to hear from the government was "renewable energy" and "make sure every country was taxed on the carbon they produced." That will go quiet now we are sat on shale gas. You can already see the sift in the politics and this shale gas will be another major delay developing fuel cells.

Rant over.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
While we are growing crops for fuel we are also cutting down rain forests that produce O2, for me (controversial here) the future lies in safe nuclear fission and hopefully fusion in the not too distant future and hydrogen fuel cell cars... all this bullsh*t around battery powered electric cars is just bullsh*t, they will never be "green". I'm afraid we will get what we are given by the large oil corporations and that's all there is too it

·
Registered
330 Posts
I dont want to perpetuate this argument here, which is well discussed elsewhere. Suffice to say, if you are interested guys, please do your research. there is no silver bullet to the energy / climate issue and everything is dependent on what, and where:

- biofuels sold in europe are from non-food crops and the loss of food crops by indirect landuse change is well studied, and not proven. Perhaps Brasilian grown sugar based ethanol is a food crop, but then if starving millions just ate sugar, their teeth would fall out and create other problems. Some EU states do or did import Brasilian ethanol.
- US corn based ethanol is generally regarded as environmentally negative, competes with food and is generally bad. It was a farmer assistance program and the co2 generated in the farming process is more than just burning the petrol in cars directly.
- Brasilian sugar cane grows so fast and they are so good at it, it is environmentally positive assuming they dont cut down more rainforest to grow it.
- Electric cars running on French nuclear power generate about 13g CO2/km where on Chinese coal power, its 180g/km. For reference, the EU average new car co2 in 2012 was about 135g/km. If you get a chance to drive an electric car, do it. The Tesla is an experience I will never forget...

Ok, thats enough. and yes, i do this for a job....

Otherwise, does anyone know what we can do about this water hanging around in our fuel tanks and lines? Trank draining? a sponge? E5 / E10 is not going away and we need to learn to live with it.

Longer term, I quite like biofuels and E85 has an octane rating of 110. Ive been thinking of building a dedicated TS 2.0 with high compression to capitalise on the E85 while keeping my environmental conscience at bay. Although the water issue, rust, carb rubber parts etc would all need attention.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
we have had E10 over here for a couple of years now.....was introduced as a 'necessary' to help the enviornment.
.....hardly anyone uses it:)

The main problem one talks about over here, is that it can rot the older compound fuel lines used in most old cars.
A compatability list, published here, lists all Alfa models after 2010, plus the following:
159: 1.8 16V, 1.8 TBi 16V,3.2 JTS V6,
Brera: 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
8C: 4.7 32V
Spider: 1.8 TBi 16V, 3.2 JTS V6
Giulietta and
MiTo

·
Registered
270 Posts
I read the scare stories so for the last few months I have been putting some Millers EPS Ethanol protection additive into my tank each time I fill up.

I read an independent report saying it did protect older cars. I have not noticed any difference in performance or running so for a few extra quid when filling up it gives me peace of mind.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts