Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
634 Posts
Bio diesel is processed vegetable oil there is nothing from crued oil in it. There's a place in York that sell it. Or its made from new rape seed oil. Its Cetane rating is lower than pump diesel. Full on bio diesel is'nt sold on major filling station forecourts.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Most UK pump bio diesel is only about 5% bio though.
Bio diesel is processed vegetable oil there is nothing from crued oil in it. There's a place in York that sell it. Or its made from new rape seed oil. Its Cetane rating is lower than pump diesel. Full on bio diesel is'nt sold on major filling station forecourts.

But rockhopper is implying that it is 95% normal diesel and 5% bio ... personally I think you might as well bulk it out with water instead :lol:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well a tank has cost me 49 quid to fill up which is quite a saving, seems to running fine not noticed any difference yet. Will keep you guys updated on ecomomy and performance :)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well a tank has cost me 49 quid to fill up which is quite a saving, seems to running fine not noticed any difference yet. Will keep you guys updated on ecomomy and performance :)
You are obviously aware that biodiesel eats away at your rubber seals ...

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Pump bio is 95% regular diesel and 5% bio. You can buy 100% bio but not on Tescos's forcourt! Last time i looked 100% bio was quite a bit more expensive that either of the pump varieties because its made in small refineries, kind of a back street operation.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Post 1992 JTD's can be safely run on 5% bio. The only issue with going higher is that you might have starting problems come winter time plus Alfa probably say that they only recommend up to 5% blend and going higher may void your warranty.
Shouldn't have any issues in practice though.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
Really don't see the point in using biodiesel in an Alfa Romeo. My JTD 16v 150bhp really likes the BP Ultimate, better performance and even quieter at idle. I think the detergents they use keep everything a little more clean as well, certainly the turbo response feels more eager.

No way would I use biodiesel to save a few quid. If you want to go the bio route, drive around in a tractor instead:lol:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Its fine to use the 95-5% stuff in any diesel, well almost...

i work with renewable energy, and biofuels are 1 of my 5 specialties, use it, its greener, cheaper and the same for the car....
no worries :)

but dont put it in your twin spark :) hahahhah

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well that's about 20% cheaper (assuming you filled up 60 litres) ... but 95% is still diesel :confused: ...

... could I buy bio diesel ... but without the bie fuel in it... it would be cheaper :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Its fine to use the 95-5% stuff in any diesel, well almost...

i work with renewable energy, and biofuels are 1 of my 5 specialties, use it, its greener, cheaper and the same for the car....
no worries :)

but dont put it in your twin spark :) hahahhah
The trouble with bio fuels is the moral aspect ... the fact that we are growing plants to burn when other countries don't have enough food to eat :(

·
Registered
503 Posts
The trouble with bio fuels is the moral aspect ... the fact that we are growing plants to burn when other countries don't have enough food to eat :(
well thats true, however we WASTE a lot worse than that in other ways, that could also benafit a 3rd world......but....
If we all thought that way we would not drive cars at all, and you would feel bad using diesel that could run a genarator in a 3rd world instead of carring your new pair of sweat shop nikes back fro the mall...

dont take affence, its nothing personal, just a way of explaining that every little helps...

i should sell that to tesco :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 2.4 JTD is a 2003 model interior face lift, what I have noticed that there no cloud of black smoke when I boot it :) Economy seems the same so far. It was 62 litres for 49 notes :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts