Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Does anyone know if the 156 2.4 JTD 2002 is able to run on bio-diesel?If so what modifications will be needed. and will it reduce the life of the engine? and will I get the same performance?
After all at around 40p a litre its well worth looking into. and we can save the planet at the same time as putting a smile on our faces.
I look forward to any replies on the subject.

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
I'm thinking about banging in 6 litres of veggie from Asda next time I fill up. 54 litres of diesel, 6 of veggie.. Should save me a bit, and will be a good test. Anyone want to try it first? :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks pud and boneman. ( sounds like a bit of a doubleact)
I am grateful for your replies.
I was also hoping that someone else had looked into a bit further than I have. Their findings may save me a lot of legwork.

Roger

P.s.
pud let me know how it goes with the mazola. There is gallons of used oil outside my local chinese take-away and it might smell a bit delicious into the bargain

V

·
0 Posts
...does all this mean that when you put your foot to the metal, it won't be a burn up, so much as a fry up? :D

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Would be well worthwhile speaking to Nigel at Angel. He spoke to me at lengths with regards the Bio diesel. I had some PDF files but think they're long gone ref the performance etc etc

V

·
0 Posts
There is gallons of used oil outside my local chinese take-away and it might smell a bit delicious into the bargain
You might suddenly find your car has become extremely attractive to the local feline population! :lol:

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
There is gallons of used oil outside my local chinese take-away and it might smell a bit delicious into the bargain
I wouldn't put in the used oil without filtering it first.. You need a 25 micron filter, what one of them is, however, is beyond me. Remember bio-diesel is not veggie oil, bio is a mix of cleaned and filtered veggie oil that has been mixed with the right amount of meths +additives etc etc, so while Nige ran his Alfa on bio and said it was fine, I wouldn't just fill the tank up with veggie. I didn't put any in in the end, as it was too expensive to buy fresh stuff. 70p a litre at asda - may as well just use diesel all the difference it makes. If i can find a wholesaler that gets the cost down to around 40p a litre I would consider it. Advice on the internet suggests in summer you can easily run on 50:50 veggie oil to white diesel, however they say don't try it til April as one cold morning it might not start.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Of the shelf cooking oil is not biodiesel. There is further processing which it is theoretically possible to do at home. I know someone who has used up to 50% of filtered used cooking oil for some years in an old peugeot diesel. It runs better, but any more than 50% gives starting difficulties. Can't say whether M jet would take it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Place by me has started selling bio diesel, I have thought about brimming to see if it's any good comparted to the likes of Shell etc... But I've never got round to doing the digging for it.

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
Thing is if you are buying Bio from a garage, you pay duty on it, so it works out to be about 80p a litre, so you don't save much. If you can make it yourself or use SVO (straight vegetable oil) mixed with white diesel, you can make a bit of a saving, as you can get SVO from about 40p litre from a wholesaler. Not sure about the mJet, I think my 10v would take a 75:25 of white diesel:SVO mix. Apparently old Pugs are good for just about anything, I know a guy who uses SVO in his, I think 3/4s SVO and 1/4 diesel in summer with no problems. Although after a few thousand miles with SVO in the tank you need to replace your fuel filter as a one off thing, as it does make previous deposits in your tank move around. Anyone tried it in the last few days?

By the way, any JTD owners ever slipped farmer Jones twenty quid for a tankful of his red? :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
used to run vw tdis on SVO, they were a bit lumpy but ok in the summer.the vag tdi motor is absolutely bombproof wouldnt risk it in the jtd, its too much of a risk.
Biodiesel would be completely fine, would not hesitate using it.

ran an old ren 19 non turbo diesel on SVO for 20000 miles, took a good cranking to wake it up on a cold winters morning but she battled through

biodiesel = a lot of work and a lot of waste and a lot of tax :-(((

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If you make it yourself you are still supposed to pay duty on it.

Also its worth checking out the cost a new injector pump as thats the bit that will go wrong if the car doesnt like runnining on Bio or chip fat. The one for my old Nissan cost £1250 plus VAT!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thing is if you are buying Bio from a garage, you pay duty on it, so it works out to be about 80p a litre, so you don't save much. If you can make it yourself or use SVO (straight vegetable oil) mixed with white diesel, you can make a bit of a saving, as you can get SVO from about 40p litre from a wholesaler. Not sure about the mJet, I think my 10v would take a 75:25 of white diesel:SVO mix. Apparently old Pugs are good for just about anything, I know a guy who uses SVO in his, I think 3/4s SVO and 1/4 diesel in summer with no problems. Although after a few thousand miles with SVO in the tank you need to replace your fuel filter as a one off thing, as it does make previous deposits in your tank move around. Anyone tried it in the last few days?

By the way, any JTD owners ever slipped farmer Jones twenty quid for a tankful of his red? :D
Pud, i am v.interested in this for my 10v Jtd, and have done a lot of research about it on the net.
I have also spoke to nige on several occasions about his old red jtd wagon ,which he used to run on bio, but my findings were not too positive,due to it being difficult to obtain and the goverment already putting a "Stealth tax" on it, making it quite pricey.:(

#1. Bio, up here in yorkshire is not widely available, the only "Real" company to do it is "Rix" who do a 25% mix but it costs more than normal diesel,:confused: , and thats no good!
#2. I did find another company called http://www.ebony-solutions.co.uk, who offer various mixes of bio, but again not much cheaper, and you have to buy a tanker full of the stuff!!
#3. Brewing your own may work, but veeeeery risky if you dont get it right, i know a guy who tried this and totally screwed up all his fuel system, resulting in a few grand bill to repair.

So to conclude, In my opinion anyway! Bio is a Clean, Green,Sustainable, Re-usable fuel, with next to Zero emissions, and possiby makes your car run better and more efficiently, That our wonderful government wont let us have:mad: , and there the ones who think we are all the children of satan, polluting the worlds atmospere, when clearly advances in alternative fuel have been made, but they wont let us use them, what a set of t055ers!!.

So if any one does know of a bio-diesel outlet, at a reasonable cost, then post it up,as i am sure a load of people would buy it, including me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
bio is a mix of cleaned and filtered veggie oil that has been mixed with the right amount of meths +additives
BIO-diesel is a lot more than that, it's a chemical conversion process not a simple mixing of the right ingredients. Don't confuse running on BIO with running on veg oil or any mix of veg oil, they are totally different things. BIO and veg oil (mixes) are related in the same way as maybe Petrol and Diesel are but are not the same thing.

My Alfas been on pump BIO for over 6k now and definitely seems better. It stops the smoke if you have the lead boots on anyway. Pump BIO over here is €0.80 a litre with the excise paid, thats about 50p sterling a litre

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
As you all know I'm just a poor student, but I could run bio brewing system if someone could get the kit for me.. In two weeks time I'll be done for the summer and could do with a little project :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Some reading for you...
how to make biodiesel
and the rules you should abide by

And the government has to get their cut so any bio you make and use in a car needs to have duty paid on it, currently at the rate of 28.35p per litre.

For info, dunno where i read this, common rail injection systems do not like running on veg oil at all especially compared to direct injection systems with an injection pump. Aparrently older VAG diesels (not the common rail types) are perfect candidates for veg oil consumption.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Everyone wants a "free lunch' but there is no such thing as a Free lunch as someone always has to pay.

Ethanol cars may not be healthier
"Ethanol vehicles may have worse effects on human health than conventional petrol, US scientists have warned.
A computer model set up to simulate air quality in 2020 found that in some areas ozone levels would increase if all cars were run on bioethanol.

Deaths from respiratory problems and asthma attacks would increase with such levels, the researchers reported in Environmental Science and Technology.

The EU has agreed that biofuels should be used in 10% of transport by 2020. "

Biofuels are the 'next environmental danger'
Far from being the salvation of an oil-hungry society, biofuels could actually trigger increases in food prices and deforestation, according to a report.

The Co-operative Insurance Company, part of the UK's Co-op Group, has published a study that warns that the fuels might never live up to their promise, and could have a negative, rather than positive environmental impact, the BBC reports.

It doesn't suggest doing away with them altogether, but says that current targets for swapping petrol and diesel for fuel derived from crops are too ambitious.

The UK government, and the European Union have set their sights on using biofuels in 10 per cent of our cars by 2020. But the Co-op's report suggests that to produce this amount of fuel on a global scale would require as much as nine per cent of arable land being diverted to fuel crops.

Professor Dieter Helm, who sits of the government's Council for Science and Technology, told the BBC: "The sort of targets being set for biofuels will have quite radical effects on agriculture and therefore will have very substantial consequences for food prices and agriculture more generally."

He points out that rainforest is already being felled to make way for fuel crops.

"Think of the energy involved in felling those rainforests. Think about the damage to the climate being done by the loss of those trees. Think about the ploughing and the cultivation of fields. Think about the transport of those fuels, and you start to realise the carbon imprints are about much more than simply what happens to grow in a particular field at a particular point in time."

The Co-op's conclusions echo a recent report from the UN, which suggests using biofuels for power and heat would be more effective than using them for transport. ®

1 - 20 of 20 Posts