Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate any insight into the differences between the B4 or B6 models of shocks. I'm after an ever so slightly firmer ride than std so I don't want to get carried away.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..i think the B4 is a straight replacement for the original, whereas the B6 is a bit racier. I'm not sure if koni still do FSDs for the 166 but they're very cool as well...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes, b4 is offered as an OE equivalent option. The b6 is uprated and where available, b8 is 'shorter' to allow for lowered springs ( although these can also be used on b6)

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Think I'd be tempted with the b6 to reduce roll. Unless there's a stronger arb out there for the 166

·
Registered
913 Posts
Have not found any stronger ARBs. I am using B6 with OEM Ti springs. On 17" wheels the compromise between sporty and comfy feel is great, although a bit on the sporty side. On 18" wheels the car feels pretty hard and sporty, still managable for everyday driving, but on rough roads you would want a softer setup.

So it depends on what you want really. B6 has a montube design and is therfore longer lasting, as much as I know.

Koni FSD (my first choice) are no longer availabe for 166 unfortunatley, but their life-span is short according to some users, so I do not regret not having them that much. But they do offer sportiness when you corner and comfort when you are going over bumps, so I think they must be great for a car like 166.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback folks, looks like b6 for me, just need to catch an offer on eurocarparts or demon-tweaks.

Car will have 17" wheels and whilst I want a firmer/less body roll I don't want something rock hard.

I've not found an updated arb supplier sadly.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks, looks like b6 for me, just need to catch an offer on eurocarparts or demon-tweaks.

Car will have 17" wheels and whilst I want a firmer/less body roll I don't want something rock hard.
..let us know how you get on :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts