Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im thinking of getting Bilsteins or Konis on my V6. Would I have to change the springs as well ? I find the suspension a little bit bouncy and the car feels too high and want to have that "Cart" like feeling like my TS had i.e. Low and Firm.

I had some Bilsteins on my Alfetta GTV and they were brilliant and it definetly didnt need the springs to be changed at all.

I have been looking at second hand shocks on Ebay and cant find any. Does anyone know where I can get them cheaper? I found this site

Bilstein / FRONT SPORTS Shock Absorbers / GTV ('90s) 3.0 V6 24v / Euro Performance Car Parts

and worked out they would be $1200 for a set of 4 (600GBP)

Also would the shocks lower or raise the car? I wanted to keep the standard height on the car too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Get Koni Sport shocks and Eiback Prokit springs. The Konis have the advantage of being adjustable.

Koni or Bilstein shocks with OEM springs is OK, but Eibach springs with OEM shocks is a big no-no.

The shocks won't change the ride height, but the Eibach springs will lower it by 20mm.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Get Koni Sport shocks and Eiback Prokit springs. The Konis have the advantage of being adjustable.

Koni or Bilstein shocks with OEM springs is OK, but Eibach springs with OEM shocks is a big no-no.

The shocks won't change the ride height, but the Eibach springs will lower it by 20mm.
Totally agree to this. Koni Sports adjustables and Eibach Prokit (20mm drop) well proven on this Forum.

I have this set-up, and it is totally AWESOME.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Think about the driving you will be doing and the roads that you have to drive on.
My main driving is done over the pot hole and speed bump ridden roads of London.
I have Koni shocks and OEM springs for a slightly softer ride. The ride is great and much improved over the standard set up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm considering which to get also, Koni or Bilstein. I don't do any track driving just weaving around the many potholes on UK roads. How do the Bilsteins and Konis compare? I would imagine the Bilsteins to be about the same as the Koni's on a mid setting....? Are both sets of shocks firmer than the standard shocks?

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
I would say that both sets of shocks are not only 'firmer' than the originals but far far better in quality as well.

Perhaps 'firm' is the wrong word. Certainly with Konis on the softest setting the ride is extremely compliant and well damped, and very comfortable (this is with Eibach springs). Certainly I would go for the Konis over the Bilsteins, ok they are a great damper as well but the Bilsteins are a little less compromising and less forgiving on UK roads.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Fred,

I went through the same purchase decision recently and scoured the world for the best pricing - like you decided on Bilstein B6 (Eibach springs on the car already) following a chat with Volker from Alfisti.net who drives a GTV with B6's and has a Koni equipped colleague to compare it to.

I ended up paying 198 Euro for the rears + 45 shipping and 390 Euro for the fronts + 65 shipping, both from Squadra Sportiva in Germany (Alfisti.net). All up about AUD $1,100

I did find one very helpful supplier in the UK with the cheapest B6 front struts (AUD $541 for the pair) but shipping from the "old country" always seems to be so much more than shipping from Europe (i.e. quoted AUD $250 for shipping the fronts only).

Remember to keep an eye on the $1,000 customs limit - advice direct from Aussie customs was that the shipping is included in the calculation although if it is close they may let it through (i.e. if you are lucky.....). I split the deliveries by a couple of weeks - and added in a strut bar for some engine compartment "bling")

Cheers,

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Fred,

I went through the same purchase decision recently and scoured the world for the best pricing - like you decided on Bilstein B6 (Eibach springs on the car already) following a chat with Volker from Alfisti.net who drives a GTV with B6's and has a Koni equipped colleague to compare it to.

I ended up paying 198 Euro for the rears + 45 shipping and 390 Euro for the fronts + 65 shipping, both from Squadra Sportiva in Germany (Alfisti.net). All up about AUD $1,100

I did find one very helpful supplier in the UK with the cheapest B6 front struts (AUD $541 for the pair) but shipping from the "old country" always seems to be so much more than shipping from Europe (i.e. quoted AUD $250 for shipping the fronts only).

Remember to keep an eye on the $1,000 customs limit - advice direct from Aussie customs was that the shipping is included in the calculation although if it is close they may let it through (i.e. if you are lucky.....). I split the deliveries by a couple of weeks - and added in a strut bar for some engine compartment "bling")

Cheers,
Thanks Davo !

Million Dollar question - What is the car like now with the Bilsteins ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
"What is the car like now with the Bilsteins ?"

I wish I knew!!!! with Christmas and family holidays getting in the way they are sitting in a box along with the new wishbones, slotted discs, Ferodo pads and braided lines waiting for me to find a few days and get stuck into it! :(

Bet it will tighten up the front end a bit though :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"What is the car like now with the Bilsteins ?"

I wish I knew!!!! with Christmas and family holidays getting in the way they are sitting in a box along with the new wishbones, slotted discs, Ferodo pads and braided lines waiting for me to find a few days and get stuck into it! :(

Bet it will tighten up the front end a bit though :thumbs:
Ah Ok !

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had Bilsteins with standard springs on mine and it was very good, the ride quality was a little worse at low speeds but much more controlled and less floaty at higher speeds, the handling was much better too with sharper turn in and less roll.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had Bilsteins with standard springs on mine and it was very good, the ride quality was a little worse at low speeds but much more controlled and less floaty at higher speeds, the handling was much better too with sharper turn in and less roll.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean that at low speeds the ride was more teeth jarring than before?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean that at low speeds the ride was more teeth jarring than before?

I would say that I was more aware of small bumps/rough road surfaces at low speed but I did not find it uncomfortable or teeth jarring, I had the rear suspension poly bushed at about the same time so that might have have been partially responsible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts