Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all you knowledgeable people,

Im thinking about upgrading the brakes on my 2001 2.0TS GTV to some 4 pot brembo ones of the 3.0 (forgive me if im wrong with what I just wrote, only going by info given to me!)

Is there a lot of work needed in order to get these to fit? Im assuming with the luck I've been having recently its not going to be a straight swap!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
It's not a straight swap for sure, I fitted them myself, but needed the V6 shocks, hub carrier track rods and ends too.

You'd also need a set of wheels that will clear them as the calliper is much deeper.

That's the easiest, but certainly not the cheapest.

The hub carriers you'll need will be from a P2 3.0L GTV.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
It's not a straight swap for sure, I fitted them myself, but needed the V6 shocks, hub carrier track rods and ends too.

You'd also need a set of wheels that will clear them as the calliper is much deeper.

That's the easiest, but certainly not the cheapest.

The hub carriers you'll need will be from a P2 3.0L GTV.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
And the TS driveshafts fit straight into those bearings OK?

So it's:
- V6 Shocks
- V6 Uprights (aka hub carrier)
- V6 track rod ends
- 17 inch alloys

Quite a big bill.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
New discs and high-quality pads make so much difference, it has to be worth trying that first? I think compared to other similar cars, the GTV/Spider TS discs are already on the large side (284mm?) so perhaps the materials are a limiting factor.

For an example my Uno Turbo has discs and calipers small enough to fit in 13" wheels yet with a set of race pads, braking improved considerably.

-Alex

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I am quite happy with the TS brakes - initial bite and power is very good, but mine squeel all the time at low speeds, and once did start to fade when trying to follow a loonatic friend on a quiet road.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got 18"s on mine so clearance shouldn't be an issue. I have to admit Im not the biggest fan of the brakes so would really like a decent upgrade. At the moment its a toss up between this bigger set up or a new set of drilled and grooved discs front and back, decent pads and braided lines (all of with i would added to the bigger set up anyway!)

·
Registered
669 Posts
My V6 Brakes are so average and want to up grade to the 305mm brakes - but thats very expensive.

Try slotted discs and performance pads first maybe ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try saying that quickly! :lol:

I had a ts thought the brakes were good, got the v6 thought the brakes were better, but now I think they are not quite enough for the speed of the car. Have considered the 330 option but cant see the astronomical cost out weighing a decent pad and disc combo.

And mine squeel till the cows come home and i hate it :(

·
Registered
669 Posts
Drove a GTA with the 330 brakes and there was a Huge Difference compared to my V6 with 305 brakes. Probably 20-30% better feel over mine

1 - 20 of 21 Posts