Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now there’s a niche that we’ve all forgotten about. Big two door saloons. I mention this because I’ve just learnt that Alfa planned a two door Alfetta saloon. You can see why, considering these cars were available so obvious there was quite a market for them

https://flic.kr/p/d3dtCN

Can you think of some others. Curious that these were quite a thing back then but just fizzled out.

(the Audi has confused me. I’ve never seen that one before. And if I had, I’m sure it was a Passat)

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Could it be that large 2 door saloons ended up as coupes, which incidentally I much prefer. As an example the BMW 635CSi where there is discernible change in outline between the the rear window and boot. Saloon or coupe? Defined as a coupe.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. But I think in this case I’m looking for two door saloons whose silhouette is unchanged from the four door. So I’d say the 6er scrapes through as a coupe, in this case 👍

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
495 Posts
Back in the day, my maths lecturer had a two-door mk3 Cortina saloon, a bit like this one. Not a 'big saloon' by today's standards, but a decent sized car and quite rare (even then) in 2-door form.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
This one count? I know some class it as a coupe, but seems to fit the bill regards silhouette.

Volvo 242
5CC210E7-364C-4CCE-8CC9-269962FAAC6C.jpeg

EDIT - Damnit, didn’t see this at the bottom of the OP :mad:

·
495 Posts
Fiat 130. Marketed as a 'coupe' but looks a lot like a big 2-door saloon to me...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one count? I know some class it as a coupe, but seems to fit the bill regards silhouette.

Volvo 242
View attachment 936512
Yep! 👍 I think I had that one in my first post but as a link.
Is there anything from France we are missing? I don’t remember now.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No hard and fast rules here Rob, but I’m not sure the 130 counts as it was quite different from the 130 saloon. Nice try though and always good to see a 130 coupe as they are very handsome cars indeed 👍

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
495 Posts
Mid 1960s through to early 1970s was this Bentley T-series 2-door. There was a Rolls-Royce (Silver shadow) version of it too.

·
495 Posts
No hard and fast rules here Rob, but I’m not sure the 130 counts as it was quite different from the 130 saloon. Nice try though and always good to see a 130 coupe as they are very handsome cars indeed 👍
I respectfully disagree. The 2 and 4 door 130s had a great deal in common...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I respectfully disagree. The 2 and 4 door 130s had a great deal in common...

View attachment 936517 View attachment 936518
You are correct sir! My apologies. I have had a total brain fail here. I didn’t realise - or plain forgot - there was that 4 dr version. I was thinking of this 130 saloon:

The four door you have shown is beautiful, and yes, it totally qualifies.

I’m sorry again that I got confused. This is what happens when you have a brain from a donkey 😳

·
495 Posts
You are correct sir! My apologies. I have had a total brain fail here. I didn’t realise - or plain forgot - there was that 4 dr version. I was thinking of this 130 saloon:

The four door you have shown is beautiful, and yes, it totally qualifies.
It looks like we are both right! :)

I think the 'Alfa 6' has some echos of the four door 130 that I posted, although the Fiat is more elegant. Imagine if Alfa had produced a two- door version of the '6'!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I see more of the Ferrari Pinin in the 130 than I see the Alfa 6, but yep, get where you’re coming from 👍

i still think the Pinin looks lovely - template for the Rover 800?

·
495 Posts
I agree that the Ferrari Pinin was lovely - but as a one-off/non-production/concept car, doe it meet the criterion that you originally stipulated (that is, two-door versions of four-door saloons)? My Alfa 6 doesn't either, even though it was a production car, because I was only dreaming about the 2-door version! :geek:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree that the Ferrari Pinin was lovely - but as a one-off/non-production/concept car, doe it meet the criterion that you originally stipulated (that is, two-door versions of four-door saloons)? My Alfa 6 doesn't either, even though it was a production car, because I was only dreaming about the 2-door version! :geek:
Lol, no the Pinin fails the test; however, it was a side-track as something lovely, rather than up for consideration. Sometimes, my mind just wanders all over the place 😁

·
495 Posts
...Sometimes, my mind just wanders all over the place 😁
It's good to let your mind wander. The people who designed all of these amazing cars started by daydreaming.

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought".
[Arthur Schopenhauer or Albert Szent-Györgyi or Erwin Schrödinger or possibly somebody else]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts