Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right first of big thanks to the user 10f1 he has been a great help, i said yesterday that my gear lever was was stiff and there was nno return to neutral after following 1of1 info i have completly sorted it for just an hour of my time, hope someone else may find this usefull here is what i done,

Went to local alfa garage and got two new bushes part number 46467103 for a grand total of 2.80

Firstly remove the battery and put aside easy job, then unbolt the bolts holding in the tray and also remove this, this part is anoying and tricky just make sure u remove all bolts as there r to connected to the fuse box , from here u will see at the back u gear levers undo the 17mm bolt and push the shaft out i had to tap mine hard to get it out as the bushes were very seisesd, once out i could see how broke and sesied they were here is a pic,

From here i cleaned up the two parts circled in my pics below and re greased them and fitted new bushes making sure it was all moving freely , make sure u tighten the 17mm nut nice and tight on re assembly as when its lose the box is very lose so after tighten bingo gear box springs back into neutral and feels like new again:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

From here i reassembed everything ,

and should be back to normal and working like a dream, just to let u no this is the first bit of work of this king i have ever done on a car and was pretty simple, when i spoke to the main dealer they said it needed a new quadrant and wanted 120 to fit and said they had tried replacing bushes years ago and does not work, they really do try to get every penny out ya :tut::tut::tut: glad i done this myself,

I hope someone else finds this helpfull as i would have done and it seems to be a common fault in the alfa

Thanks guys

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Great Job :thumbs: ... but please don't praise John (I'm sure that he would have just copy'n'pasted his response from someone else :p)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha ha ha , just hope this post is helpfull to someone as i had no experience what so ever but still managed to do it

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just came across this.

I tried it a few weeks back on m 2.4 jtd, which has a slightly different assembly at the top of the gear box, but the pivot and bushes look the same. The 1.9 jtd looks to have the same mechanism as the 2.4 as well.

I couldn't really see much wrong with the bushes when I had everything apart, but I cleaned the shaft up anyway and greased it. For a moment a panicked after tightening the 17mm nut as I only had a few gears! But after I tightened it properly I got all my gears back but the spring action had only slightly improved. However, I've done about 1000 miles in the last few weeks and it has loosed up again some more, though not quite perfect.

I've had it loosed up twice before by my local dealership then they were doing a recall for the engine heater and again by an independant, but it always eventually binds up again. I think in my case it's partially through lack of use. I've only done 28k in the last 4 1/2 years.

I might try this again in the summertime.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts