Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one else noticed that the ends of their shoes catch the underside of the dash when using the clutch pedal?

I am only a size 9 but some of my shoes have some Italian styling (of course) and those with an extra inch or two at the front seem to catch on the underside of the dash, both in a 159 and Brera, makes my wounder how someone with size 11 shoes would get on.:confused:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Nope. I'd suggest driving shoeless to be that much more connected to your Bella's every movement. They used to do it all the time in New Zealand when I lived there for a bit!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am only a size 9 but some of my shoes have some Italian styling (of course) and those with an extra inch or two at the front seem to catch on the underside of the dash, both in a 159 and Brera, makes my wounder how someone with size 11 shoes would get on.:confused:
I have size 11s (and an extra inch or two at the front ;) ). I found filing a bit off under the dash alleviated the problem.

Cheers
Hugh

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm a size 9, and got the problem with a pointy pair of Ted Bakers...

I started fiddling with my seat position (height and distance back etc).

This proved to be a bad move. As I had the audacity to consider changing my seat position :rolleyes: , I now have the infamous "rocking seats" problem becuase of it! :mad:

Just booking her in to the dealer to hopefully get it sorted...

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Isn't it an air vent or something which you can easily remove?
I'm sure I heard about someone doing just that.
Stick your head in the footwell and have a nosy about.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yeah, I got that at first, but my 'much better' seat position, that tilts the bottom of the seat backwards to support under my thighs, but tilts the back up a little... good comfort, great arm position for any 'maneuvers' and your feet don't exdend into the drivers foot well so much, avoiding anything that might 'catch'.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wierd...

I'm a size 12/13 and this has never been an issue for me??

Maybe the dealer cut the dash back when he saw the size of me :lol:

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Nope - hubby's got size 12s, and has never had this problem, when I give him the honour of driving my car;)

Maybe you could try fiddling with the seating position?

·
Registered
685 Posts
A slightly different angle here because I have the same problem in my 147 GTA... but it's not just the clutch, it's also when moving the right foot for brake or accelerator - the toes of my lovely new shoes are taking a beating!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice, changing my driving position seems to be the best solution but I have just got the seat in a perfect position so I'm a bit reluctant to do this. The other suggestion of having a look at the problem and carrying out a slight mod may be the only option.

I would try driving without shoes but you don't know what you maight step in if you forget to put them back on.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't know, but is this area in a Brera different than in a 159?

In my 159 there is a carpet-like paneling above the padals. This can easily be removed with two screws. You can leave it off completely or cut a bit away to make more room for the shoes. The rear end of that piece seems to be designed deliberately to interfere with the feet. I cut off as much as possible without this being visible from the "outside".

(In this area is also a pack of cables, that can be bent in a slightly different position.)

C

·
0 Posts
I find it more of a problem for the accelerator as there is a bit of the floor that moves your foot to one side. Or the toe end of your shoes catch under the dash bit. Will have a look myself this weekend (I'm size 10 shoes)

·
Registered
46 Posts
go to a clinic and get your toes realtered, lipsuction belly reductions botox and hair implants dont offer the same satisfaction as driving an alfa with customised feet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Isn't it an air vent or something which you can easily remove?
I'm sure I heard about someone doing just that.
Stick your head in the footwell and have a nosy about.

Thanks you were spot on, there is a simple plastic air distribution vent that is held in place by a single screw, I've taken this out so I can start wearing those clown shoes again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts