Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Alfa drivers
I sold my beloved 159 1.9 JTDM ... It was a very big mistake.

The Christmas season brings many good memories and only makes it harder to live without it.
- I miss it like you miss an old faithful dog :crying:

There is only one answer to my sorrow, which is to buy a new one.
Since Giulia is not yet on the street, I think a used Giulietta must be what I seek :vs_gift:

What Giulietta would you recommend to me?

I like the high torque diesel engines and drive 100-150 miles almost every day.
Is EGR / DPF system better on some models?
Eg. the newer 150 HP model versus the older 170 HP version?
What about the older 140 HP version?

Is there some Giulietta's running with M32 gearbox?
I have no confidence in the M32 gearbox, but unfortunately a lot of experience with it :titanic:

Are there other things I should be aware of - of the various model years of Giulietta's?

Hope you can help me make the right decision
Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year to all of you :vs_wave:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dear Alfa drivers
I sold my beloved 159 1.9 JTDM ... It was a very big mistake.

The Christmas season brings many good memories and only makes it harder to live without it.
- I miss it like you miss an old faithful dog :crying:

There is only one answer to my sorrow, which is to buy a new one.
Since Giulia is not yet on the street, I think a used Giulietta must be what I seek :vs_gift:

What Giulietta would you recommend to me?

I like the high torque diesel engines and drive 100-150 miles almost every day.
Is EGR / DPF system better on some models?
Eg. the newer 150 HP model versus the older 170 HP version?
What about the older 140 HP version?

Is there some Giulietta's running with M32 gearbox?
I have no confidence in the M32 gearbox, but unfortunately a lot of experience with it :titanic:

Are there other things I should be aware of - of the various model years of Giulietta's?

Hope you can help me make the right decision
Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year to all of you :vs_wave:
I think it is the m32 gearbox, and you are right to be wary - it is probably one of the main things to thoroughly examine on any test drive, especially cars 2011 and older - gear changes can be stiff and notchy, and very expensive to fix. Check the rear wiring loom is not beginning to crack in the boot hinge area. Check for rattles and squeaks. Check the service history - the correct oil is important. Most of these problems seem to have been resolved for 2012 cars and beyond.

Despite these possible problems, it is an awesome car and the most fun to drive

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
No giuliettas with M32 or F40 box, all have the C635 box.

No apreciable differences in EGR or DPF issues amongst the different diesel engines either, pretty much all trouble free

The obly reall issue I'm aware off is the EGR cooler which can start leaking if you get a pre-2013 model. There have been a few revisions, the latest I'm aware of is mid 2013.. but it's especially the 2010-11 models that are prone to a leaky cooler and shouldn't have any issues if changed after mid 2013.

try driving them all, they're all quite different.

the 105 and 140 have an intake restriction to introduce extra swirl (no moving swirl valves like the 159) which improves economy if driven sensibly. The 150/170/175 don't have this and as a result can make more power but likely are harder to get very good mpg figures with.

there are wiring loom issues with early cars, not sure when this got changed but I think around 2012..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it is the m32 gearbox, and you are right to be wary - it is probably one of the main things to thoroughly examine on any test drive, especially cars 2011 and older - gear changes can be stiff and notchy, and very expensive to fix. Check the rear wiring loom is not beginning to crack in the boot hinge area. Check for rattles and squeaks. Check the service history - the correct oil is important. Most of these problems seem to have been resolved for 2012 cars and beyond.

Despite all of these possible problems, it is an awesome car and the most fun to drive
Of course I meant to say it is NOT the m32 lol ! But I am correct in saying that the gear box in early models could be problemmatic

·
Registered
38,765 Posts
Of course I meant to say it is NOT the m32 lol ! But I am correct in saying that the gear box in early models could be problemmatic
The synchros could be problematic,as mine were , but I gather the 159 box is kind of catastrophic in comparison. It's unlikely there will be a Giulietta with the synchro issue unattended to by now. The egr cooler on diesels and the tailgate wiring are about the only things to look out for.

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
I don't think there is a massive difference in fuel consumption of any of the 2.0 versions in the real world.

The 140 and 150 have a smaller turbo than the 170, which means a bit more torque at the bottom end of the rev range in comparison, but less at the top.

It seems Alfa moved from the 170 to the 150 for emissions regulations.

I went for the 170 with a view to remapping it further in the future, as it was the most powerful model but it will depend on what is around in your budget.

Cabin rattles and suspension squeaks are common (mine has a few) but they are fairly easy sorted.

Generally the G is very reliable, especially compared to cars fitted with the 1.9 diesel as many improvements were made to it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are the best - thanks alot for your help and advice :thumbup:

How about paint and rust - something to look out for?
The 159 was prone to rust at the subframe.

Now I will start searching for the right car, I will report back to you.

·
Registered
38,765 Posts
No rust mentioned yet on the Giulietta. I'll get the garage to look at mine when I get it serviced next but the design is much newer so let's hope!
The difference between the cars is mainly in the more efficient lighter engineering.

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
The underseal on the G looks pretty decent.

Things like bolt heads and fastenings can rust though.

Not heard about subframe rust, but it would be a good idea to keep an eye on it just in case, especially around the welds.

Some 156's and 159 were prone to rust in the floorpans due to haphazard undersealing. The G is built in a different factory and doesn't seem to suffer.

You will find the G a lot different to drive than the 159. Much lighter and more agile, the only trade off IMO is that the interior isn't as good quality and it feels less solid.

If anything it is closer to the 156/147 in how it feels on the road.

·
Vendor
46,723 Posts
I haven't noticed any corrosion issues on Giuliettas. Better than the 159 subframe/rear arms in that regard.

·
Registered
38,765 Posts
I suspect it's like all cars now. As a neighbour in the trade pointed out a while back, the bolts and screws are not plated like they us to be.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I have a 2010 jtdm2 and had the EGR cooler problem and have just had the broken wire in the left hand tailgate loom, giving a boot open fault, nothing else but I'm a relatively low mileage owner at 45k miles so far. But if you've had a 147 the driving experience is very similar. I can even feel the change in the balance of the car when my son shifts his arse in the back seat, I've never had a car in this price range that can provide so much feedback from the chassis. The giulietta is an extremely rewarding car to drive, it is especially good at going around corners at speeds most other drivers in other marques seem unable to cope with. I don't like the D mode in first gear but once you've go moving its amazing, the 170 bhp car has been described as "horizon sucking!" The D mode provides 360nm of torque which is comparable to some other hot hatches!

·
Registered
38,765 Posts
Don't forget the electric steering which is a little more isolated than hydraulic but better for it if you do a few miles. It does cover the miles at a deceptively high average pace too.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I suspect it's like all cars now. As a neighbour in the trade pointed out a while back, the bolts and screws are not plated like they us to be.
My mum has a Hyundai and when you lift the bonnet it looks like a bucket of rusty bolts were used to build the engine in the first place! Hopefully European car manufacturers will maintain the standards to include decent fasteners and that is what will set them aside from the cheaper marques?

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
Don't forget the electric steering which is a little more isolated than hydraulic but better for it if you do a few miles. It does cover the miles at a deceptively high average pace too.
This is very true, it is very easy to exceed the speed limits without realising it.

70mph on the Dual carriageway/motorway feels like you could get out and walk.

I have complained about the Giulietta's chassis a few times, but quite often when you feel like there is an issue going on you are travelling much faster than you thought.

But a set of Bilstein dampers definitely makes them ride and handle better. All for the sake of about £200 + plus fitting.

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
I haven't noticed any corrosion issues on Giuliettas. Better than the 159 subframe/rear arms in that regard.
A couple of the welds on my subframe are starting to get some surface rust.

As soon as the weather warms up a bit I will give it a going over.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts