Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my 2.0 TS GTV seems to have developed a problem :(

When I accelerate on wide open throttle the engine massively hesitates and bogs down. It gets so bad that the revs wont actually climb any more.

If I ease off the throttle a bit, to around 80% the car revs freely again.

In fact if I drive around and never use more than 80% of the throttle it drives fine, just obviously if you try to get full acceleration the hesitation kicks in :(

Does anyone know what would cause this? Anything I should check out?

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Hi, im sure I'll be corrected here as there are others with much wider mechanical knowledge but I would say airflow meter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I swapped in the spare MAF I got with the car (unknown if it works or not, but looks new).

The car now drives fine but will not idle. The revs hunt for a few seconds and the car stalls.

I tried unplugging the MAF and the car both drives fine and idles perfectly! In fact it seems to pull much stronger with the MAF disconnected than it ever did before. heh. I guess it runs in some super-rich mode like this?

Would the MAF control the idle speed? bit weird that it drives OK on the new MAF but wont idle?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
If the car runs better without a MAF it shows that the MAF's faulty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered a brand new one with a warranty, if it doesnt work I can return it I guess so worth a pop :)

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please let us know if the new MAF fixes the problem. I have the exact same problem and haven't found any definite fixes.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Yep new MAF turned up yesterday and resolved it.

The "spare" MAF I had was a non-Bosch make and I since discovered these are known to be ****e. Got it on ebay, genuine item with a years warranty £50 and now all is good :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts