Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Alfa nuts,

I'm going to probably offend some of you, but hopefully some will get where I'm coming from and be able to provide balanced advice.

I currently have a beautiful, black 147GTA with black/ tan interior. The only modification is the upgraded alloys from the manufacturer. I got it second hand nearly two years ago, and I can almost get erect when driving it. The sound, the movement, the turning, the insanity of it all just reflects me as a person. I quite simply feel like I'm gettig into my outer shell and look forward to every drive.

Enter a small child 8 months ago.

Sure, the child seat fits in the back with the seat belt holding on tight. Sure, it does the job by getting from a to b. Sure, my elderly granny and bionic, multi joint replacement mother can crawl into the back when we're all heading off. And, sure, most importantly, my wife can't read the spedometer when she's in the passenger seat.

But, there's so much wheel wobble, so many things starting to fall off or not quite work, so much under utilised power beacuse I'm a safety dad now, and so little flexibility for the family to enjoy it as much as me.

So, what to do?

I'm eyeing up the 159 3.2ti. I'm looking at the Auto Delta site to see what they can add to a dull and rather irritating test drive. I think it looks stunning, but I think I may have been given a flaccid outlook forever since the drive. 348bhp potential from Auto Delta, but - as a responsible family man - a loss of manufacturer's warranty.

Oh, the decisions.

And I've read the threads. The 3.2 159 or Brera has simply disappointed too many. And that GTA engine....

OK. Come on. Give me your opinions. Throw your abuse at me. Sympathise. Consider the option of getting a Maserati GrandSport (and facing all the flexibility issues as well as much highly monthly costs).

I'm keen to be guided a little before I sign that deal with the dealership.

Ta muchly,

Chihuahua :confused:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sorry, I can't help as I haven't driven any of those cars but I enjoyed reading your post :)

G

·
Hmm, to be honest, it sounds as though you need a new Alfa then. But at least it's a new Alfa and not a Ford.

If you need more space, fuel economy etc, you can still get that from an Alfa, so just find whats right for you and get it. The GTA is a bit of a monster though mate :lol:

Maybe a 1.9 Diesel GT? They look great and won't be 'slow' as such, just 'not as quick'.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi.. iv got a alfa 156 2.0twin spark.. basically my temperature gauge goes to the third line and sometime the red... iv had everything checked out but they cant find whats wrong with it
just want to ask if anyone else has the same problem.. and what can i do to sort it!!!!
thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
hi.. iv got a alfa 156 2.0twin spark.. basically my temperature gauge goes to the third line and sometime the red... iv had everything checked out but they cant find whats wrong with it
just want to ask if anyone else has the same problem.. and what can i do to sort it!!!!
thanks
You should start a new thread really:tut: , but its probably your radiator:)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Ive driven the 159 sportwagon and it is a bland peice of kit. You'd be slashing your wrists in 48 hours. The Brera or a GT would be a nice option while the rug rat's small. Best of luck

·
Registered
766 Posts
Considering you like power, but have the responsibilty of being a father, you should consider the following:

Alfa Romeo 8C, due this year.
Alfa Romeo 169 GTA, As large as a 7 Series with 500Hp, Due 2008/09
Maserati Quattroport, if you can afford the bills
Secondhand Ferrari 456 2+2 GT.

Personally I would hold out till the Alfa 169 comes out with 500Hp, same engine as Maser and 4wd. Then you can rush the family around, not knowing that you have all that power.:D :D

·
Registered
38,049 Posts
Keep the GTA, but get a second car.

If you get a "safe" option family shed dogmobile such as a mondeo TDCi etc you will have all the safety features, load shifting etc and then enjoy the GTA when you need to treat yourself. The cash you lose on p/x's etc will soon add up!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
v6 GT : sensible but with a whiff of GTA nostalgia, plus the sprog will be able to put itself into the car seat before you can say "are we there yet", the wife still can't see the speedo and the mother can sit in the front.

159 GTA: wait and see if the rumours come to fruition.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Before you sign that deal I suggest you definitely test drive a 3.0R-B Subaru Legacy wagon. It has a fair whack of the Alfa's character, but a whole heap more reliability and durability. Don't make the common mistake of categorising it as just another Japanese car - they're way, way better than that. Best of both worlds.

SS

·
Registered
337 Posts
156 GTA?

Shouldnt be that much different in value and gain extra doors which makes life easier.

I have a frail mother also and she gets into and out of the car very easily.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
haha i love this thread, it makes my life seem so much better.

i dont have kids, but if i ever do it is already arranged with the mrs (ok i told her) that daddy's car will not have any kids going in it. mummy's car can have the child seat, spilt pop, crisp crumbs, drool, sick, etc.

i didnt give birth to it so why should my car suffer. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts