Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picture attached says it all - same on the other side. Only noticed as I had jacked the car up to check front disks and pads. My 159 is more than 3 years old (I have decided to keep it - long story!), is this covered by paint warranty?

Attachments

N

·
0 Posts
The paint job on the arches is shocking.

Rough edges and very little paint cover on mine from the factory.

Give it a spin, but pretty sure that kind of damage is only covered in the 1st year,
if that. ("External factors. Caused by stone chips etc.")

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to see how this isnt a paint faut - i mean that is some size of stone chip. i have phoned the dealer - will see how we get on.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shock horror - not covered by the 96 Month Anti-Perforation warranty. Also advised if mud-flaps aren't purchased it will just happen again. Think I will get a tin from Halfords and do it my self since it isn't in a very visible location however probably put this on the knowledge base for future. Apparently the dealers have seen a lot of this recently.

N

·
0 Posts
The good thing about having a Carbonio Black Brera with dimply sills was that bitumen paint
was good for the little underside knocks and blemishes like that. ;)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Shock horror - not covered by the 96 Month Anti-Perforation warranty. Also advised if mud-flaps aren't purchased it will just happen again. Think I will get a tin from Halfords and do it my self since it isn't in a very visible location however probably put this on the knowledge base for future. Apparently the dealers have seen a lot of this recently.

It happened on mine WITH mudflaps! they are currently off the car so I could repair. I'm going to Western Edinburgh later this week to see about the stone chipping & I'm going to raise this as a side issue.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
God - with mudflaps. Thats not good. Your's is Stromboli Grey like mine. Bought paint from halfords to do and have rubbed it all down. Just in time for the sun to disappear :S What year is yours?

·
Registered
771 Posts
God - with mudflaps. Thats not good. Your's is Stromboli Grey like mine. Bought paint from halfords to do and have rubbed it all down. Just in time for the sun to disappear :S What year is yours?

Mine is a 2008 58.

You will notice that their is a PVC protector strip at the leading edge of the sill. That's what came away on mine taking the paint with it. I have held on to them as 'evidence'. What dealer are you using for this?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was already gone when I noticed. I took the front wheel off to check brakes and there was the wound. Mines is an 2008 / 08 plate and 2 months out of warranty. Western Glasgow said that they have many instances of this recently and it will not be covered by the warranty unfortunately.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Mine was already gone when I noticed. I took the front wheel off to check brakes and there was the wound. Mines is an 2008 / 08 plate and 2 months out of warranty. Western Glasgow said that they have many instances of this recently and it will not be covered by the warranty unfortunately.

Try Edinburgh. I have heard that the Glasgow boys are not as good. Surely this must be covered by the paintwork warranty.

Edit. try raising it as a customer issue Via ARUK. I got new front discs that way :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have dealt with Edinburgh for all my fault to date. They have been fantastic however I think that it I only fair that I leave them alone and pester someone else. £30 on paint - primer on.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My 5 yr old brera was the same. Must be galvanised though since amazingly there was no rust. Repainted, waxoyled and fitted mudflaps.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yours looks way worse than what mine was. If you are happy with the repair you done, fair enough. The repair I done will outlast the rest of the sills :lol::lol:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I removed the rust using 400 grit paper, coated with 2 coats of Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 then 2 coats of satin black hammerite. This will be pretty tough, but I may put a coat of black bitumen underseal over that. It is not too obvious as it is limited to the leading edge of the sill & the mudflaps will be re fitted.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far i have rubbed down to the metal and got all the rust off, removed the wheel and wheel arch. rubbed down the back of the arch. Applied two coats of Hammerite stone chip shelid and two coats of paint. I would have done more however I am loosing the weather. Looks ok - just needs rubbed which i will do once the sun returns. I also found a roll of clear PVC tape in my garage. God alone knows where it came from but it will be getting used shortly. Will order mud flaps and fit once paint work is complete.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
MIne is a 2008 Ti - exactly the same, it is actually stone chipping, its intensified there and takes all the paint off = rust.

My side skirts are fitted below this and they were right through the primer as well.

I snded mine back, primed, painted and filmed to prevent recurrence.

In Ricky's case the flaps made things worse as the fixings score the paint and cause even more rust.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The clips holding the flaps on to the inner lip of the wheel arch have barbs and indeed damage the paint. I have also addressed this & the flaps will be re fitted using 'modified' clips & plenty cavity wax

The leading edge of the sills rust due to fine rubble particles being trapped between the flap & sill. Even cleaning this area weekly does not totally resolve the issue as what you wash out is quickly replaced!

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Hi,
had a look at mine the other day, and seem to be having this issue (no rust yet), have any of the above suggestions stood the test of time? Thinking of a bit of stonechip paint over this part, stop long term damage, every other car I have seen the mudguards sit on top of the wheel arch to protect it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts