Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can provide advice about what is wrong with my 2005 (facelift) 147 JTDM i.e. the 150PS model.

Basically there has been a progressive problem, it started running quite lumpy (like it was running on 3 cyl's) up to about 2500rpm then it would pick up and run normally. It seemed to get worse through last winter which convinced me it was cold-related. It did also seem to get better when the engine warmed up.

Anyway the problem degenerated to the point where it will still start, but runs incredibly poorly if at all, usually dies again and will not accelerate at all. Even now the weather is mild.

I've not even used the car for several weeks as we have the wife's car and we cannot contemplate another big bill (had to get a dealer to replace wiring loom and clutch cylinder a short while ago).

So, any clues? The car has not been serviced for a while.....tried pulling the hose off the side of the fuel injection just in case air filter is terminally blocked - no help.

Also, but unrelated, I had to put the emergency spare on just before it stoppped working, whereupon a number of lights eg VDC, ABS are now on......will these go off again when I put the proper wheel back on.....or have I somehow knocked something out of line etc?

Thanks very much for any help offered.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems - what about the maf or blocked injectors?

have you tried giving it a service??

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
if you take to a dealer they will do a ABS ecu upgrade as the spare wheel causes errors, it's a recall so will be free.

P.S. why didn't the dealer check for recall work???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear of your problems - what about the maf or blocked injectors?

have you tried giving it a service??
As the car is immobile at the moment I'm hoping to discover a specific problem that I can put right and get moving again, then move on to get a service.

Otherwise it is tow it to a garage/dealer and I am then again at their mercy.

Anyone recommend a good but cheap place to get diagnostics done in NW England?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you take to a dealer they will do a ABS ecu upgrade as the spare wheel causes errors, it's a recall so will be free.

P.S. why didn't the dealer check for recall work???
Thanks for the heads up.

Should the dealer have routinely put this right then?

I got the last work done at a Fiat garage, would they have had access to the recall info?

Just to check, even though my car is nearly 4, this repair will be done for free?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

Should the dealer have routinely put this right then?

I got the last work done at a Fiat garage, would they have had access to the recall info?

Just to check, even though my car is nearly 4, this repair will be done for free?
yeah recalls have tobe done, its a VOSPA thing, take to a main dealer, they will check ur vin and do whats needed. should give you a good valet as well. :cool:

Fiat won't have access as far as i know.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
As the car is immobile at the moment I'm hoping to discover a specific problem that I can put right and get moving again, then move on to get a service.

Otherwise it is tow it to a garage/dealer and I am then again at their mercy.

Anyone recommend a good but cheap place to get diagnostics done in NW England?
there are a few, a bit out of my way i'm sure somone will be able to help ya.

T

·
Registered
207 Posts
Exhaust gas return valve. Reduces emissions. I'm battling with similar problems - lack of power below 2500 revs also. Change it, clean it (including solenoid), or do as I'm doing 'blast' it, giving the car 'welly' and I'm having a lot less problems, tho still not 100% lol

R

·
0 Posts
I've been there, lack of power created road rage etc. Just buy a new one from shop for parts £110 sorted!! The actuator is the problem but you cant clean it as well as the valve and body!

·
Registered
207 Posts
There's an excellent guide to cleaning the EGR and actuator somewhere on here, I'd suggest searching EGR DIY

1 - 13 of 13 Posts