Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, to follow on from Mitch's Fantastic Resto thread http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/168718-my-new-project.html#post2595784, i have picked up a little GTV of my own in slighty worse condition than mitch's but with similar problems.

Faults with the car include, a suspect headgasket (which it isnt) car had recently had a new recon head but they didnt fit a new water pump we can all tell what happened next.

Very bad paint looks like the roof has had a rattle can thrown over it.
Grotty interior, center console, gear knob, although the leather seats look to be in great condition.

and will need brakes all round...

This i suspect to be the tip of the iceberg.

There are some things that are really good on this car for its age, prior to it current/and new ownership its been store in a garage for the last 4 years so its very little rust on it.
I have already bought the engine and plan to be fitting next week.

Like mitch this is a second car and will be completed A) when time allows B) when cash allows although the budget is small anyway...

My basic plan of attact is to get it running engine wise, drive it to my very local MOT station get it on and tested and see what it comes back with as a failure, attach these issues then get it painted. I'm lucky in this respect that i have family memeber who does body work/repair and paint and has kindly agreed to do the work for me if i do the prep under his guidance.

I hope to produce plenty of pictures and wirte up's is there anthing anyone would like more pictures of or detail of.

As mentioned my first job is fitting of a new used engine it will have a new cambelt kit, balance belt kit, water pump, variator, and clutch before a drop it in...

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Excellent! Looking forward to following the progress Biff :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Some pictures to start us off.

Job #1, open the bonnet, since parking her up the bonnet has siezed closed...

Job #2 degrease and clean engine, fit to engine stand.
Job #3 fit new belts variator, water pump and tensioners.
Job #4 fit new clutch
Job #5 remove old engine and fit its replacment

Job #6 MOT and create new job list from its failure list.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I'm sure I've seen that GTV being driven around Swansea, I seems to remember the BIG exhaust pipe sticking out a bit, the Car looks in quite good condition too........on the outside anyway !!!!.........;)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Some lovely paintwork to tackle there. Good luck!

Am jealous, if only I had a garage and a decent drive there would be a nice project sat there.

Look forward to seeing the updates.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok small progress this weekend, spoke to previous owner as he managed to find the spare keys. A full set, o now have 3 red, 1 brown key code card and 2 alarm fobs.

I also asked him about the roof he had admitted to painting it and that it looked good until the rain hit it, he later found out that white spirt is no good as panel prep.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a reason why less is more... :eek:

Work has finally restarted tonight now the boy is back in school.

I have my replacement engine mounted on a stand and before i fit new timing belts and bits i though i would check the shell as the sump looks quite clean and i suspect it been removed for some reason...

Once off the reason why less gasket sealant is some time more (or better for you engine)...

other than this silicone there appears to be very clean inside...

More soon i hope...

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Been waiting for the updates! I had that sealant in my sump, but not that much!! :cheese:

·
Registered
24,517 Posts
I'll just grab a seat here in the corner biffa and i have brought some biscuits:) Whose for tea or coffee?
MMmmm! Yes please.

Loving the soft focus. Very romantic! :inlove:

Seriously, good luck with it. I'll keep ckecking in too. Love these threads.:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Will update with pics tomorrow evening...step by step, big end replacement and next week cam belt replacement (the way i do them my be not the way everyone does it)...

SIDE NOTE: anyone read this months car mechanic mag, notice how the variator is changed on the project 156, and that they dont change the seals...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Engine Break down, I'm going to fit new shells (see next post) but for the time being some pics of the top end and its apparent history.

Rocker cover (alloy type) has suffered with heavy handed ownership and has to go in the bin, this is going to be replaced with a plastic one as i have a couple in stock.

Last time this had a cam belt must of been awhile as the tensioner is white plastic, i might add that the belt is still tight and the plastic seems ok but still has to go in the bin. Also, although it doesn't need to come off to do the belt whilst in the engine is in car turning the engine over by hand using the wheels, with it on a stand the balance shaft pully has to off too, this was tight...

Plugs found in Cyl 1, other were better though.

Oil cooler needs replacing has seen better days...

I've also removed the inlet manifold so i can clean it, the injectors and replace the inlet manifold gasket...

Thats my mini tear down complete, next big ends and then timing belt/Variator replacment...

1 - 20 of 185 Posts