Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just overheard a conversation at my local alfa dealer where by a fault with the mito could cause probs. The moisture from the windscreen runs into the engine bay into the alternator and it freezes. Black smoke enters the cabin and the alt belt breaks. They are out of stock back order at the moment. Alfa are working on a fix to this but until then be careful in the cold conditions.

·
Registered
694 Posts
This is the fourth thread on it, though evidently some people still haven't seen the others.
"Bad start" was the first, with "My MITO's exploded !!!!!!!" and "Alternator Belt" being the fourth and fifth most recently replied to threads in the MiTo forum as I post this ;)

It happened to me, apparently before the dealers were aware of it (my dad actually rang them up the day I got my car back and told them after I saw it on here as a confirmed fault but they weren't interested) so I just got a new belt and I think it's just happened again today. My failure was after two failed starts (the engine started then immediately stopped) with it failing on a third try, I had a failed start this afternoon and haven't tried again.

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
mine failed to start this morning, she was humping and bumping and some smoke came into the cabin, i was quite scared and remembered that i had read on here that it was the belt freezing...was getting ready to phone aa to get me home as i thought she was buggered, my mate lifted the bonnet and had a look, as you do, he said try again and she started, i have to say i am very nervous now as i work in the countryside quite high up and theres nowhere i can put thats not away fom the cold weather, do you think a cover would help?? was thinkin of gettong one but would it be worth it??

it was -4.5 when i tried to start her this morning...:eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
This happened to me this morning!! Car has stood unused for about 4 days in the freezing cold. Struggled to start, then started, got a loud screeching noise then cabin filled with smoke and steering wheel completely locked - Scary. Rang AA at 10am this morning and still sitting waiting for them now - fortunately it happended right outside my flat so I am sat in warm, but have had to take a day off work! Not a happy bunny, as car is only 6 months old!

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
just been told by aa that they are not taking any homestart calls for 24hrs....so am stuck with a car that im scared to drive or wait til thursday and have a pug as a courtesy car...would be more reliable i suppose
Tess, if the belt has stuck to the alternator then hot water would free it, once free starting the engine would keep it free, let the engine run for a few mins so it will warm up and you should be OK.

I'm not saying this is an ideal solution but it would keep you on the road

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just be glad they're collecting it, I had to drive mine with nothing on that would drain the power - so no heating. Which of course meant steamed up windows which could only be rectified by driving with the windows open.
It was just a tad nippy.

I had a right faff getting a hire car aswell as Avis had none on the Saturday that the car went in, so I was told they'd ring first thing on Monday morning.
To their credit they did ring before nine, took my details and said the car would be round in twenty minutes or so. Then they rang me back about some details not having been provided by the AA so the car couldn't be booked out. A few phonecalls later it transpired that the Avis computer system had some sort of issue so I had to get a car from Enterprise instead, which took until around two in the afternoon to get (a 58 plate Focus diesel, which felt nothing like the MiTo but at least it wasn't the Chevrolet advertised on the Enterprise website). And then I got a phonecall at about five telling me my car was sorted and could be picked up.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Tess, if the belt has stuck to the alternator then hot water would free it, once free starting the engine would keep it free, let the engine run for a few mins so it will warm up and you should be OK.

I'm not saying this is an ideal solution but it would keep you on the road
From what I understand, the cause of this is water getting into the alternator which then freezes, seizing it up on startup.

The cure is to stop water getting in there in the first place, or remove the aux belt in the interim - but you'll lose aircon, battery charging and power steering... It could quite possibly save your engine, however.

·
Administrator
87,755 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Aren't ARUK already aware of the problem/potential problem & ordering parts to resolve/prevent the problem.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-mito-and-giulietta/197812-bad-start.html#post3105802
You could be right, but most of the people reporting problems are being told by dealers that they are un-aware of the 'Freezing Alternator Syndrome', Tess being one. So it can't do any harm to voice some concern and even anger in a place where it may get noticed by customer relations, who in turn may make AFUK position a little clearer.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I wonder if Corsa's & Punto's having the same issue? Also, why hasn't this come to light in typically colder climes:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blown Alternator/Belt Sunday.
Rang AA Monday morning and they were supposed to turn up at 2PM, no sign of them yet! No call from them to say they were not turning up. It was a home start so i suppose it's not deemed an emergency. Apparently they are busy in the N.E.
Dealer is aware of problem and mentioned a modification needed while it is being repaired.

R

·
0 Posts
Is this problem on the first batch of MiTo's ? has anyone with a 59 plate experienced this ?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mine's a 59 and had a brief burning on starting AM sunday.
It was OK Monday AM at -7 but no snow overnight so maybe nothing to drip.
Snow forecast overnight tonight so will be extra careful in morning.
The slightest hesitance on the starter motor and it's switched off....:)

·
Administrator
87,755 Posts
Is this problem on the first batch of MiTo's ? has anyone with a 59 plate experienced this ?

IIRC it is not related to a build date as the problem is related to a design flaw ;)

·
Administrator
87,755 Posts
In that case I will get one of my mechanics to resolve the problem, save Alfa UK the trouble :lol::thumbs:

:lol: I think there is already a fix ( a new drain pipe )

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Blimey, this all sounds very worrying. My Mito is garaged overnight, but when even when I got it out of the garage yesterday morning it struggled to start until the third attempt. No smoke yet though :lol:

1 - 20 of 303 Posts