Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
fellow alfisti,after my gtv was in the menders a mate lent me his car for a couple of days.heading south on the m1 and taken the spur road to join the north circular heading east by the a1.i was at the lights behind 2 cars.the road goes from 2 lanes to 4 and the road ahead is visible for at least half mile.all cars were excelerating when a people carrier stopped dead in front of me.i was doing about 45 and breaked instantly but the car didnt stop in time and i bashed into the rear.we pulled over and 3 pakistanis got out and said it was the car in front that breaked but of course it never stopped.we exchanged details
but after the shock thought something was fishy.then the ****e hit the fan as i looked on the net and talked to a friend who had had the same done to him in the area.b****arDS!!
going to loose my no claims!it seems they go for the whiplash,etc.if it was my alfa i would be up on an assult charge!not going to let them get away with it.has this happened to anyone alse?:mad:

P

·
0 Posts
It might be worth researching this a bit and telling your insurance company about a possible scam.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Blimey - me and my daughter drive that way often it's already a pants road with donkeys on it - without having to look out for this sort of scam - I hope you get it sorted OK!

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
I thought most folks around here,(M25,feeders, what was the M10, M1, North Orbital, A1, Etc.) were aware of this sort of thing? That's why I always tell the missus to stay well clear of vehicles in front in case they try that hooky caper? :(:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers for the advise peps,have informed the insurance company that its a scam yesterday.good idea about the cctv pigfarmer and i wasnt that near to it zulu,its just the car was bout 15 years old and didnt have abs.if i was in the alfa i would have stopped.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Time to really worry is when the barstewards keep nudging your rear bumper hoping you'll stop, and then they pile out with baseball bats and nick your motor? Don't stop, or get out! keep going ;) Must go now, time for a cuppa. :):

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
A lot of this about, but I've heard they tend to target lorries as they can't stop as quick !

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
A lot of this about, but I've heard they tend to target lorries as they can't stop as quick !
That's not clever, I think someone did something similar to my uncle years ago but he was driving a tanker, 20 tonnes of liquid has serious inertia, he managed to swerve and stop in time but the liquid sloshed forward with enough force to push his lorry up on to a verge and the tanker rolled over and crushed the car, all the people in the car were killed.

He was telling me that we get off lightly over here, in Italy there are places you just don't go because bandits pull you over with guns and steal your lorry, sometimes they shoot the drivers to keep people scared.

Especially around Naples area he said, don't go in to Naples at night, good way to get yourself killed...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Lorry-Drivers-In-Europe-Face-Same-Hijack-Dangers-As-Ships-Off-Somalia-Coast-Europol-Report-Says/Article/200905215281280?f=rss

He's glad he retired from long distance haulage.

:(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
werent my alfa though dave it was a mates old peugeot and dont think the brakes were all that.thought bout going round for a game of bat and ball.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
what the hell is this world coming too....:eek:
Agreed. :mad:

It has to be said, though, whether they're doing it on purpose or not, you should still be able to stop. That's the whole point of keeping your distance! People drive far too close to each other these days, whether in town or on the motorway. It's lethal. You never know when someone genuinely brakes in an emergency, to avoid a cat, or suffers an engine siezure...

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The media covered this in detail last week and all major insurance companies are aware of such scams.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Ok I know it's all good with hindsight, but keep a disposable camera in the car. Mobile phones won't do as they are digital. I'm talking about good old fashioned 35mm here.

If you are in a shunt photograph EVERYTHING.

If the other driver or passengers object to being photographed ring the cops straight away. If it's a genuine accident they should have nothing to hide.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts