Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following my spontaneous purchase of a 156 2.4JTD the other week on ebay i have now been given permission to sell my wife's 2000V Golf 1.6 SE. It has 83k miles and pretty much a FSH. MOT until Jan 2012. It is not perfect but reasonably tidy. My question is where would other AO forum members suggest i sell it? I think it is worth £1500+. It is nice and clean and I have taken some decent photos and have my description ready but unsure whether to go the Piston heads, Autotrader or Ebay route? The last car i sold was the in-law's P reg Ford Galaxy and i started the auction at £1 and ended up getting a good price for it although it was a bit nerve racking as the price only went up in the last few hours. If people have sold on ebay what methods did they use, auction, buy it now etc? Also, the car has 10 months tax. Would people leave this on even though it is worth £160 ish? Just interested to know how others would approach this?

Regards
Wid77

·
Registered
37,783 Posts
I have found Autotrader expensive and have never sold anything through them (since 1992ish!) Pistonheads is worth a go as it is free. If you want a reasonable price I would use the local papers. Free Ads etc etc.

List the Tax as £xx extra to stay on.

K

·
0 Posts
Selling on ebay takes a bit of nerve. You will get a better final price if you sell with no reserve and with a low starting price though. Pistonheads has to be worth a punt for the reasons stated by Keithy.

Whenever I've used autotrader I have mainly attracted the hard of thinking and severely witless.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice so far. Will definately try pistonheads. I agree with comments about autotrader. It has usually been my first choice for the few cars i have sold in the past but have had a lot of timewasters and canvassers. Now you mention it think i will give it a miss. I watch a lot of cars on ebay and many people who seem to start with too high a reserve or starting price get no interest. May try and be brave and take the one pound 7 day auction route. Last time i sold a car on ebay i had a lot of people making low offers even though i said the auction would run it's course but i suppose that will always happen.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Autotrader every time. Too few know about Pistonheads to get good coverage, but its free so why not.

E bay is full of plonkers trying to buy for nothing, asking stupid questions and dropping out when they decide they don't want the car after all. Then of course paypal has your pants down on every transaction by keeping your money for a fortnight and charging you for it.:eek:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Autotrader, sure costs a few quid but has never failed me. Ebay as One Double Six says is full of wasters who want the car for peanuts. Pistonheads is definately worth a go but has limited coverage. Autotrader all the way - just check how much similar cars are advertised for locally and off you go.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of varied opinions here. Food for thought. Will let you know how i get on. :thumbs:

·
Registered
570 Posts
E bay is full of plonkers trying to buy for nothing, asking stupid questions and dropping out when they decide they don't want the car after all. Then of course paypal has your pants down on every transaction by keeping your money for a fortnight and charging you for it.:eek:
Selling as a classified add on eBay is different. It's a fixed fee, you don't pay through paypal and like any classified you don't remove it from sale until the car is actually sold and you have the money. Lots more people seem to be looking at eBay now rather than autotrader.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Selling as a classified add on eBay is different. It's a fixed fee, you don't pay through paypal and like any classified you don't remove it from sale until the car is actually sold and you have the money. Lots more people seem to be looking at eBay now rather than autotrader.
Thanks for this. I'd already decided to do as you suggest and put it on ebay as a classified ad and also piston heads. Cheers.:thumbs:

V

·
0 Posts
I have found Autotrader expensive and have never sold anything through them (since 1992ish!) Pistonheads is worth a go as it is free. If you want a reasonable price I would use the local papers. Free Ads etc etc.

List the Tax as £xx extra to stay on.

Autotrader: cost me a tenner. Sold my 525tds within a week and for only £50 less than advertised.

put the 318 on piston heads (just because it was free I wasn't fussed if it was sold or kept) and only got one phone call from a nutter.

Gumtree - waste of time

eBay - buyers expect perfection for a fraction of the items value. Far too many time wasters.

It's more about the advert than the location of the ad
If you price it correctly (look at what similar condition, aged & milage cars are going for) include a detailed and honest description with plenty of pictures it will sell.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
never had any luck at all on autotrader, but ebay did well for my Mustang, and I put my mates cadillac on pistonheads for him a while ago, and i was still getting phone calls a month after it sold!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update!

Just to let you all know that I sold the Golf today. Tried ebay auction first but was a waste of time. Ended up putting it on Autotrader and although more expensive at 44 quid I sold it in a few days and had plenty of interest. I did price it to sell but was impressed with autotrader and will use again.

K

·
0 Posts
Nice one. To be honest even ancient golfs sell well so you could probably have got shut of a tidy one with sensible miles by just putting a for sale sign in its window.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice one. To be honest even ancient golfs sell well so you could probably have got shut of a tidy one with sensible miles by just putting a for sale sign in its window.
Possibly although the insurance had run out so parked off the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts