Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi have a slight dull look on the bonnet not the same as the paint work on the side panels
and i have tried mequires products (scratch x) and polish with no results also used shield and rally wax needles to say is kak
what products (locally available) are u guys using and is there results ?
the shield and rally wax lasted 7 days and u could see the wax was gone:cry:
cant wax every week

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Meguiars products generally are good. You have to use waxes continuously or risk the dullness showing. After a couple of applications the shine will be more permanent. It seems like you need a deep cleaner first. I'm not an expert but people like Master Paul and Springbok would be able to guide you in the right direction.

·
Registered
419 Posts
been working on mine too, did a meguires polish, looks shiny but doesn't feel smooth. turns out you need alotta work first in prepping the paint and then a good polish and a few waxes before you get that shine.
so im considering taking it to 082 car wash as the use autoglym and getting them to polish it for me using a machine

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
What paint do you have? Is it "Nero Black"?
Its not an easy paint system to polish - it can require double polishing with 2 compounds.
It is also very suceptible to swirl marks from incorrect washing techniques. Google "The two bucket method" and make sure your are using a proper car shampoo (that doesnt strip off existing wax - like sunlight! and has a lubricant to prevent the dirt youre washing off from scrating the paint)

Remember the difference between polish, glaze and wax. Polish is an abrasive the corrects problems, glaze goes on before wax to improve depth and shine - it can sometimes include fillers to hide micro scratches. Wax (natural) or sealant (synthetic) is a protectant - your final barrier against the elements.

You need to be careful polishing with a machine if you dont have experience as it can go wrong easily.

If you want to do it yourself I would suggest something like Chemical Guys Black Light, followed by 2 layers of Collinite #845.
It would be a good idea to clay before this - do some reading on the subject first though(clay is like a stiff prestick that removes bonded contaminants from the paint).

Chemical Guys - Black Light 500ml [GAP_619_16] - R200.00 : Crazy Detailer, South Africa's LARGEST Premium Brand Car Care & Detailing Supplies Store with Crazy Prices !
Collinite - Liquid Insulator Wax #845 With Free Gift! [CO-845KIT03_13] - R250.00 : Crazy Detailer, South Africa's LARGEST Premium Brand Car Care & Detailing Supplies Store with Crazy Prices !

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
What paint do you have? Is it "Nero Black"?
Its not an easy paint system to polish - it can require double polishing with 2 compounds.
It is also very suceptible to swirl marks from incorrect washing techniques. Google "The two bucket method" and make sure your are using a proper car shampoo (that doesnt strip off existing wax - like sunlight! and has a lubricant to prevent the dirt youre washing off from scrating the paint)

Remember the difference between polish, glaze and wax. Polish is an abrasive the corrects problems, glaze goes on before wax to improve depth and shine - it can sometimes include fillers to hide micro scratches. Wax (natural) or sealant (synthetic) is a protectant - your final barrier against the elements.

You need to be careful polishing with a machine if you dont have experience as it can go wrong easily.

If you want to do it yourself I would suggest something like Chemical Guys Black Light, followed by 2 layers of Collinite #845.
It would be a good idea to clay before this - do some reading on the subject first though(clay is like a stiff prestick that removes bonded contaminants from the paint).

Chemical Guys - Black Light 500ml [GAP_619_16] - R200.00 : Crazy Detailer, South Africa's LARGEST Premium Brand Car Care & Detailing Supplies Store with Crazy Prices !
Collinite - Liquid Insulator Wax #845 With Free Gift! [CO-845KIT03_13] - R250.00 : Crazy Detailer, South Africa's LARGEST Premium Brand Car Care & Detailing Supplies Store with Crazy Prices !
i vote this as its what i wold use but add menzerna first

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i vote this as its what i wold use but add menzerna first
Yes, menzerna is amazing! :thumbs: I came close to adding it to my post - but you need to be careful with it.

Polishes like Meguiar's have constant sized abrasives in them. ie you can stop polishing at any point.

Menzerna has decaying abrasives, ie they start large and as you work the polish they break down to smaller components. This is the same principle as sanding a piece of furniture with 40 grit, then 80, then 120.
The complications come in that you have to work the polish ALL THE WAY through its life cycle or the large abrasives leave scratches (while cutting) which are not polished away by the smaller (broken down) ones...

You need to understand the various menzerna compounds and how they work with what spec of polishing pad and then test that on an inconspicuos area of paint to see how the combination of pad and polish affect the vehicles particular paint.

So basically, if you are quite confident then go the menzerna route.

Otherwise see what results you get with a Blacklight type product first. - It has had brilliant results with softer paints (such as Lexus) and the Nero Black does require a softer touch, I beileve its quite a brittle paint which can require two componds to correct.

If you wax only - you will just end up with a nice smooth protected finish over your scratches...the dull look is definately created by microscratches not a lack of wax. And these scratches are almost always introduced by incorrect washing technique...

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
So...who is going to host an Alfa detail day in JHB for us?

I'll drive up for this.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
@ guli im workin on it
There we go...because the good LORD knows your car needs it, I saw it in the flesh.

:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::thumbs:

·
Registered
565 Posts
There we go...because the good LORD knows your car needs it, I saw it in the flesh.

:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::thumbs:
i am trying to get my detailing frend to host an Alfa romeo detail day one of these fine sundays it will be like a lil get together park off chows at his car wash and then maybe a lil spin cruize to i dunno (Gertie/Eric can map the route lol) and we can get some quick detailing done on our cars for 1/3 of the normal charge im thinkin 80 bucks lol (just got to twist his arm) and we can turn in into a lil event of sorts good photo op NUMEN!! sooo watch the forum soon......

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
yes please...who is the buddy? What car wash?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
i am trying to get my detailing frend to host an Alfa romeo detail day one of these fine sundays it will be like a lil get together park off chows at his car wash and then maybe a lil spin cruize to i dunno (Gertie/Eric can map the route lol) and we can get some quick detailing done on our cars for 1/3 of the normal charge im thinkin 80 bucks lol (just got to twist his arm) and we can turn in into a lil event of sorts good photo op NUMEN!! sooo watch the forum soon......
I'm in

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Sounds like a plan JZEE !

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the advice
the colour is black metalic pearl changes colour with the light a Mother of a Microwave of a paint to keep clean
the roof and sides look fine it is just the bonnet looks like the clear coat has gone and the usual swirl marks and light scratches, (thanks Nicola and Luca)
shot ArthurB will give it a go this weekend

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
A Durban car wash is offering high gloss machine polish - Meguiars - for R220 incl wash. Is it worth it? Imo, meguiars is not the best.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts