Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new Mito owner and am wondering what are recommended the recommended tyres? I am currently running Dunlop sports on the back and Hankooks on the front. Being a new Mito owner I am driving the car rather quickly and these seem to be holding the road well even in the wet. Anyone got any recommendations? ( Also any tyres that might be a little cheaper than the most expensive ones but are still good to use in dry and wet)

Cheers Joe

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi and welcome.We need to know your tyre size. One tyre make/model is not made in all Mito sizes. Use search on here to see previous threads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been using Landsail on mine for the past two years, getting such a good reputation that BMW have started fitting them to their vehicles from new, Mine are 18" @ £57 each.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you can afford them, you can't go far wrong with Michelins. They may cost a bit more but tend to last longer than other makes

Or fit whatever are the OEM fit

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
I've been using Landsail on mine for the past two years, getting such a good reputation that BMW have started fitting them to their vehicles from new, Mine are 18" @ £57 each.
Who told you this?

Landsail are chinese budget tyres, I cannot see that being true especially when you have the likes of Dunlop, Goodyear and Continental being made in Germany just down the road from the factory.

Personally I like Michelins and Goodyears. They are worth the extra, although some mid range brands are also very close to the premium stuff.

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
Landsail on bmw is true, my company car is a 320d and it came direct from Germany with Landsail run flats!
I would have taken it back and asked for some better rubber.

Budget tyres on a supposedly new premium car is a definite no-no IMO. I would think twice about sticking them on an old banger.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just put some new goodyear eagle f1s on mine. I've yet to come across a tyre that's as good all round whilst being as cheap. Got the front pair done for £157 (17" wheels). I tend to find the mid-range tyres really show their weaknesses in the wet (unless they're uniroyal rainsports).

·
Registered
164 Posts
+1 for the Goodyear Eagle F1's. I fitted a set to mine a couple of years ago and not had any issues. Also had the benefit of slightly improving the ride (IMO)

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Landsail on bmw is true, my company car is a 320d and it came direct from Germany with Landsail run flats!
The new BMW 3-series also comes with cheap gooseneck boot hinges instead of the previous model's "foldaway" struts.
They have obviously been cutting corners on the car.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
And another shout for GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2. They have treated me well on all the cars I have used them on. Good grip in the dry, with predictable and progressive break-away when testing the limits. Great grip in the wet, and also never had them break grip suddenly in the wet.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Dunlop Sportmaxx RTs were excellent on my Brera, and the GQV came with the Sportmaxx TTs, not quite the same spec - probably a cheaper version made for Alfa. I'll be sticking to the Sportmaxx RTs in future.
They are generally well reviewed and are also quiet.

I did try Vredestein's on the Brera but although they had about 25% more tread depth, I was underwhelmed and they were not much cheaper than the Dunlops.

I would not skimp on tyres, especially if you drive with verve!

Sportmaxx RT:
Roll resistance B, Wet grip A, Noise emissions 69 dB

Sportmaxx TT - not much cheaper than the RTs.
Roll resistance E, Wet grip B, Noise emissions 71 dB

·
Registered
38,290 Posts
Another vote here for the Assymetric 2 Goodyears, I have them on my Giulietta.

When I bought the car it had a Mix of Dunlop SportMaxx RT and Michelin PS-2

The Michelins were very similar to the Goodyears, perhaps a bit harder riding. The Dunlops were not as good in the wet as the other two and wore out faster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have Goodyear Assymetric 2 all round now. Had the backs replaced 6 months ago from Pirelli Zero Nero and the car felt much more grounded. But now I've changed the fronts from Avon to Goodyear, although cornering has improved, I have found that in wet and even in dry sometimes if I floor it in 2nd gear the tyres just don't grip well and my car losses power. Pretty embarrassing. Maybe I just need to caress the gas a bit more instead of pounding it down?! :furious:

Also, since changing the fronts I can hear more noise under the car. I can only describe it as little pebbles bouncing around (especially at low speed 10mph and over bumpy road). I thought the Goodyear's were pretty quiet.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I have found that in wet and even in dry sometimes if I floor it in 2nd gear the tyres just don't grip well and my car losses power. Pretty embarrassing. Maybe I just need to caress the gas a bit more instead of pounding it down?! :furious:

Also, since changing the fronts I can hear more noise under the car. I can only describe it as little pebbles bouncing around (especially at low speed 10mph and over bumpy road). I thought the Goodyear's were pretty quiet.
Maybe the reason you hear more noise is exactly because the tyres themselves are quieter, so you hear other noises like bits of dirt being sucked up against the car more clearly. I certainly have had this experience when I changed tyres from noisy and not very good Yokohama "mid-range" tyres to the GoodYears. Suddenly I heard a lot more of the noises from the engine bay and elsewhere.

In terms of putting the power down in second gear, it surprises me that the GoodYears on the MiTo wouldn't do it well. What size tyres are they?
For me it was just the opposite, with the Yokohamas I could (with some effort and snap changing) get the front tyres to spin briefly when changing from first to second under hard acceleration. With the GoodYears this does not happen.
Another change was that with the Yokohamas the car did not put power down very well at all in the wet - accelerating at anything more than half throttle in first or second on a wet road just led to spinning wheels. With the GoodYears this does not happen unless at full throttle and then only sometimes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe the reason you hear more noise is exactly because the tyres themselves are quieter, so you hear other noises like bits of dirt being sucked up against the car more clearly. I certainly have had this experience when I changed tyres from noisy and not very good Yokohama "mid-range" tyres to the GoodYears. Suddenly I heard a lot more of the noises from the engine bay and elsewhere.
Hmm never thought of that. It probably is that then, seems like i can hear the components of the suspension etc. I was going crazy the other week testing it on road surfaces and then i went round tightening my wheel nuts thinking it could be them jostling around!

In terms of putting the power down in second gear, it surprises me that the GoodYears on the MiTo wouldn't do it well. What size tyres are they?
For me it was just the opposite, with the Yokohamas I could (with some effort and snap changing) get the front tyres to spin briefly when changing from first to second under hard acceleration. With the GoodYears this does not happen.
Another change was that with the Yokohamas the car did not put power down very well at all in the wet - accelerating at anything more than half throttle in first or second on a wet road just led to spinning wheels. With the GoodYears this does not happen unless at full throttle and then only sometimes.
Tyre's are size 215 45 17. 1st gear I don't have a problem, just then when I change to 2nd and floor it then its pretty bad. What engine do you have in yours? mines the 155. I do need to stop accelerating so hard in 2nd because I don't have the money to waste on buying a 2nd set lol Although when I do connect with the road it feels so good! :yikes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 18" tyres on my car must be the upgraded alloys I'm guessing. Don't think you can get Goodyear Eagle F1 in that size. ( well that is black circles ,tyre leader etc)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts