Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm sure this must be covered elsewhere on the forum, so can anybody point me in the direction for the best tyres for the above.

I currently have pirelli's and they are noisy once they are half worn, but are ok and last on the front about 15k miles.

As always I would like great grip, long life, and low noise :) with cost as the last factor (winthin reason!) as I use the car for work and do about 30k miles per year. :D

Your knowledge and opinion would be appreciated before I order with Blackcircle or Etyres. :thumbs:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
you will get a hundred differnt answers here.

Personally the Bridgestone semi-slick tyres (didn't look all that semi-slick) gave the best grip ever before getting too hardcore. Wear well also and still grippy in the wet, shame you can't get them any more.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I found the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 to be really nice, not too noisy, reasonably comfortable, good grip and so far lasting well

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I like Dunlop SP Sport Maxx but prices have recently shot up.

I think I'll try Goodyear F1 Asymmetric next if I can get them in the correct size.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have been researching tyres for 225/50R17 and the Falken 452 keeps coming up in other forums as one of the better tyres out there

The Hankook Ventus V12 Evo recently came second in a German multi tyre test and seems to be gaining a fanatical following

Don't fall into the trap of thinking either of these are second rate or cheap and cheerful, they are quality tyres at a sensible price

http://www.falkentyres.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=46&numRecordPosition=8&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b818s555p0

K

·
0 Posts
i deal day in day out with lease hire companies. most calculate the cost per tyre against expected mileage to gain the most cost effective tyre. known as ppk accounts (pence per kilometer)
majority have a contract to use michelin.
they will give you the best mileage, be reasonably quiet, grip well in all conditions and have the latest up to date technologies.
but as jasons says you will get very many different views on what is best.

just wait for the "my car went from michelin to nankang/fulda/maxxis/toyo/ etc and it gripped so much better" :tut:
you are comparing a worn out tyre to a new tyre, that is no comparison. an old tyre with around 2mm (or a lot less in most cases i see) just doesn't generate the tread block movement and thus heat to generate grip. that's why they feel better.
at the end of the day it's your money.

but ask yourself this question.
if the usual "just as good" tyres are actually just as good, then why don't the manufacturers fit them from new??? think about how many new cars they sell, then multiply that by the savings on a set of tyres and work out how much they could save each year by fittings these other "better, cheaper" tyres :rolleyes: the fact that they don't tells it's own story

you pays your money you takes your choice ;)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its all about marketing

Believe me, when Michelin sell tyres to Mercedes (or whoever) they are sold at a price and volume than Hanook of Fulda or Nokian could not compete with.(and would not want to, the replacement market is bigger and more profitable)

Pirelli P6000 have reformed badly in every group test for years, but we still buy them......

Contract hire companies have a lot of clout, are they paying retail prices for the tyres? hell no, thats left to you and me:mad:

Just checked on one online web site, the correct Michelin for my 159 is £177.00 and thats not fitted!
The Toyo is £111, the Hanook is £105

That is a huge price differential x 4 twice a year for me!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
cheap tyres = carp performance....

The Autocar Tyre Test

Chinese made ones are very poor, some still doing 28mph when a Continental have stopped.

If you drive an Alfa with the spirit and vigour it is famous for, you would not want poor tyres on it.

HTH

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
quite a few of the lesser known makes are still owned by the big names, and often use tyres that were a premium tyre a few years ago but often in a place with cheaper labour rates, so Nokian are owned by Bridgestone, Ceat by Pirelli, BF Goodridge by Michelin etc etc. Although with the invasion of really cheap tyres these once cheap tyres have effectively become mid-market.

My neighbour was senior test engineer for Dunlop, his view is anything made in Western Europe is good, the remainder, variable at best.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
But that is the point

Hanook, Fulda, Falken etc are not cheap.......
the price of tyres have shot up, what is a bit annoying is a small variation in size affects the price hugely, while my 166 has 215/55/16 and are hard to find at less than £120 for one of the big six, the wife's 147 uses 205/55/16 and the price is typically £70-80 for just 10mm difference.

Just down to economies of scale, buyiing power and having to carry stock of a slow turnover tyre.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
You could also go for 225x45x17s as they are more common (and have a closer rolling radius to the 205x55x16s) ... I've had a few different sorts on my car, I would highly recommend Hancooks, they lasted well and gave pretty good performance (wet 'n' dry) in my 2.0TS, however they aren't that cheap, so at the moment I've got toyo proxies, the grip is astounding, although I've only had them on a couple of 1000 miles so can't say about durability ...

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas get my vote, but you might not be able to get them in 215/45/17. However if you are using 7" wide wheels then 225/45/17s should fit, 156Chris has them on his 8C replica wheels which are 7" wide.

Kumho KU31 Ecstas are also good tyres, as are Goodyear Eagle F1s.

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Our messages must have crossed in the ether Chris :lol:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Toyo Proxes T1-R 215/45 R17 91W @ £77 each look like a bargain from Blackcircles.

Is that fully fitted?? I got 4 toyo proxies (225/45/17) fully fitted at my local tyre place (Bracknel Tyres and Batteries) for £305 ...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts