Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eeee, I must be getting old! I think it's time to go back to standard ride height but not sure which springs to go for - can you even get different springs for standard ride height or is it Alfa only? Currently I have Bilstein B6 Sport + 30mm lowering springs but getting sick of hitting the undertray on speedhumps and scraping the leading edge of the bumper on curbs, etc. I have Eibach ARB's so roll should still be minimal I suppose and I never track it anyway...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Most aftermarket springs will be specced to standard springs unless they mention a lowering spec. Had suplex springs in the GTV which were as good as standard

·
Vendor
46,569 Posts
Koni FSDs & genuine Alfa 147 GTA springs will probably give you what you're looking for. B6 dampers might be too stiff for OEM springs, although you could try it. Not sure where you'll get a set of OEM springs from without paying silly money from Alfa, unless you can find some on here from someone who has kept their originals after fitting lowering springs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I run Bilstein b6 with standard springs as I use the car daily and didn't want to loose ride height. I find the ride good and firm but not to crashy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks chaps, I'll be on the look out for some standard springs. Dan, on the off-chance any come your way and you want to sell them please let me know. :)

·
Vendor
46,569 Posts
Will do, if I hear of any I'll let you know.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Koni FSDs & genuine Alfa 147 GTA springs will probably give you what you're looking for. B6 dampers might be too stiff for OEM springs, although you could try it. Not sure where you'll get a set of OEM springs from without paying silly money from Alfa, unless you can find some on here from someone who has kept their originals after fitting lowering springs.
Are the 156 springs the same

·
Vendor
46,569 Posts
Are the 156 springs the same
Different part numbers. They must be reasonably similar, but they're not exactly the same. They'd swap over and fit but not sure if ride height would be exactly the same. I imagine 156 rear springs would be stiffer as they've got much more overhang past the rear axle.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have KW coilovers on my 156.
They are adjustable ride height, and mine are set to standard ride height.

They seem fine. Fairly easy to adjust too.

I put the eibach torsion bars on at the same time, so can't really compare the KWs with the standard set up.

They seem to work ok. Nice and tight, but the car isn't as "crashy" as my diesel 156 on a standard set up.

I assume you can get KWs for 147s anyway...

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Yup, FSD's and standard springs. Very nice ride

·
Vendor
46,569 Posts
I think they're discontinued now. I have a lightly used pair of fronts, but no rears.

Koni have something called the "special-active" which are about £600 for a set. They seem to be the replacement for FSDs but no reviews of them yet.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
There was something going on with them when I ordered last year. I had to wait a while as they were rebranding them, but Alfashop managed to get me a set made up as a special request with KONI as there was going to be a few months of no stock while the switch over was happening.. I guess they had some lying around.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Once I've got the alternator sorted and a fresh MOT I'm going to put my SW back to its original ride height. I've got the old springs and dampers from before I put the B12 kit on it, but the dampers are probably past it at 15 years and 60k miles. Springs will be OK, I hope. If I can't get FSDs, what's a good damper for someone who doesn't want to lose any more teeth?

·
Vendor
46,569 Posts
Once I've got the alternator sorted and a fresh MOT I'm going to put my SW back to its original ride height. I've got the old springs and dampers from before I put the B12 kit on it, but the dampers are probably past it at 15 years and 60k miles. Springs will be OK, I hope. If I can't get FSDs, what's a good damper for someone who doesn't want to lose any more teeth?
Eibach Pro dampers are very good too, I fitted a set on Baxter's 156 GTA about a year or so ago. You could use standard springs on the Eibach dampers, although I'm not sure if I can still get hold of a set. Last time I ordered a pair there were similar grumblings about being out of stock, but a set was procured from somewhere for me after a couple of week's wait :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to follow this up in case someone else is looking to buy these for their 147 GTA. I was looking to order some of the Koni Special-Active dampers but although the 147 (1.6TS, 2.0TS, 1.9JTD(M)) were listed as being supported in the catalogue, the GTA was not. I contacted Koni as to why and this was their response:

Hi Graham

Thanks for your Koni enquiry

We did used to list active dampers for the GTA model, but the sales were not enough to support production any longer ie less than 50 units per year, and they were discontinued from the range.

The front dampers are actually the same it is only the rears that are different, they are 20mm shorter. Although not recommended I know some people fit the standard ones, but there is a slim chance that on full extension that the spring could become loose, especially if the car has lowering springs.

One of our premier distributors called Alfashop, does actually get a few sets modified to suit the GTA models, not sure if they have any available at present, but the could give them a call on 01603-436277 to find out.

Regards

Trevor Leigh
General Manager
Performance Parts RFT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts