Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a spider.

Should I start serious looking now while winter prices for convertables are still in force?, do you think that prices will go up in the Spring if we get a good long range Summer weather forecast?

Which one is the best buy, 1970cc. 4 cyl, or 3.0 V6? which one is perceived to be the most relaible? I am not really bothered by insurance or fuel costs.

Has anyone ever posted a "what to look out for" guide?

I have seen a picture of one with white or grey carpets, are they easy to clean?

Can you get two medium sized suitcases in the boot?

Thanks for any advice :)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Rob,

I'm guessing you're after a GTV (916) spider from the engine sizes you've posted ?

I'd suggest posting in the relevant section and perhaps sending a PM to CT1 and jaydh they both have lovely spiders, jay's is a 3ltr V6 and i think CT1 has a 2ltr so they should be able to help with the performance stuff

As to prices - as far as I'm aware ALL secondhand prices for convertibles are seasonal (as in lower in the winter and higher in the summer)

·
Registered
916 Posts
The boot is pretty useless; one small suitcase if you have one with a spare wheel.
Best choice: Phase 2 Twinspark Lussso with electric hood.
Actual condition and history more important than age or mileage.

·
Registered
568 Posts
"Best spider"?

A yellow one. :D

Seriously tho, I would have thought that the main thing to look out for is previous history. I paid top whack for mine but I did'nt mind as the previous 2 owners had maintained her regardless of cost.

Not so sure about getting 2 medium sized suitcases in the boot tho, maybe empty the contents in there and buy some nice new suitcases when you get to wherever you are going. ;):thumbs::D

·
Registered
37,906 Posts
3.0 will cost more to run/service. Sounds much better though. Main thing is to look for a good car with a full history. We passed up on an 18,000 mile silver example because the dealer would not do a decent service and replace the battery. Got a 9,000 mile one owner example eventually.

Be prepared to travel for the right car and don't "settle" because you are desperate.

Get it when it comes along, regardless of the time of year - plenty on here are everyday drivers and lots of owners get their tops off, even in January.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
Get it when it comes along, regardless of the time of year - plenty on here are everyday drivers and lots of owners get their tops off, even in January.
HAhahahahahaaha once got mine off in feb!

sorry...

I drove to the other end of the country to get my spider, for a good price, in late autumn...so definitely be prepared to travel and have a good look around too. saw a few before I bought mine, and a couple were hideous creatures! on the space thing...I camped in Europe for nine days with my husband. I never pack light and we managed with room to spare,we took a three man tent, all the extra crap you need for european law (And didnt use!!:mad:) a huge Ducati sports bag of clothes, tonnes of camping equipment, sleeping bags, food, water, sleeping mats (none of these things tend to roll up small) etc etc. The space is there, you just have to be clever about packing the car.

oh, also get food shopping for a family of four adults in the Spider easily too. :lol:

I got mine with no service history, but i WOULD NOT recommend this. My husbands a mechanic and owed me some cash so I had a full service done once we got the car home. ( okay a lot of cash...) Take someone with you who knows what they are looking for, or even someone who has a bit of car knowledge.

Other than that the best Spider is ...mine.... :cool:

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 2.0i TS Spider is good fun, quick not fast. Boot is OK for large soft bags enough for a long weekend away, you can use the shelf behind the seats for more storage.

Scuttle shake standard equipment, as is the steering lock of the an ocean going tanker, but lots of interior room for a roadster, I find the seating position a bit odd, try before you buy.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Luggage space isn't as bad as you'd think. You can get two soft overnight cases in the boot (even with the spare wheel in place). There's space for smaller bags in the lock-box under the shelf behind the seats. Then there's the space on the shelf itself.

If you're really desparate, and if you're prepared to not have the hood down, there's even the space where the hood gets stowed under the clamshell!

·
Registered
566 Posts
The best Spider in terms of practicality (and in my opinion looks) is the Spider S4 1990-1993. It has a large saloon style boot which is good for a suitcase and other bags, and an enormous amount of space on the rear shelf too :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Someone mention my name? (cheers seasider)

With regards to the boot, its not big but youve got to know how to use it (I am talking about the boot). I travelled with my gf round Europe in my car last summer for 2 weeks and we hardly did any washing. You need to pack smart in terms of what you are taking and how you pack. A suitcase (unless very small) is a no no, you need things like holdals that can mould to the shape of the boot. There is storage in the car too to use.

I will actually be selling my car soonish, most likely April as thats when the loan ends on the car as I will become a 'first time buyer' and can't afford both unfortnately. I would recommend paying for a good one and not going cheap and paying to repair it. I paid for a good one.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Make sure to get it checked out with a mechanic before you buy. I didn't and it cost me dearly.

Having said that I now have a fairly sorted motor, and once I had all the repairs done and niggles fixed (for the most part!) she's been pretty reliable since. It all comes down to the type of ownership and looking after it. Some of these cars are terribly neglected, and you really cant afford to skimp or ignore the problems when they arise.

If looked after they are a reliable car, its when you dont you run into problems.

As for the spec I would try for a P2 or later (with electric hood if you are brave) as they came with the updated centre console and climate control as standard.

As for the engine, if you are not worried about speed go for the 2.0TS it gives better handling around bends and can still pull 0-60 in under 9 seconds without problem. It also has a nice zingy engine note.

The 3.0V6 is a different beast, I have driven one once and its smoother through the full rev range and pulls a lot harder, with a great engine noise. The extra weight is the only downer. Some say the spider chassis doesnt take the power and weight very well but I think thats over exaggerated, Alfa made a good job in stiffening the spider chassis with extra metal work.

Be sure to check out the buyers guide as well.

Hope you find a good un. ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Should I start serious looking now while winter prices for convertables are still in force?, do you think that prices will go up in the Spring if we get a good long range Summer weather forecast?
The flip side is that only the desperate will be selling now because anyone thinking of selling also knows that prices will go up in Spring.

That a/ limits your choice and b/desperate sellers might not have kept up to date with servicing and maintenance. I

No harm in starting to look now though - go see plenty before handing over your cash.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Anjenha for re-assuring me about the space issue.
I bet you are a wonder at packing for flights as well, Do you give lessons? you should!!! charge at least £20.00 per hour!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Rob,
I was in your situation last summer and was interested by a Spider.
After investigating, taking in consideration my budget, age & no claim and needs I've gone for 2001 2.0l Lusso Spider. I agree with what has been said: you need time & money as you will travel a lot! Today, I'm loving it and use it on a daily basis :) For the space, it's good enough for 2 + bags for a weekend/hols as far as you don't bring big stuff with you.
From this experience I can share few tips:
- Don't be focused on a specific inside/outside colour as the market is already limited. I wanted it red, all the red ones I've seen were shocking. Except if you've got lot of time to buy it or if you're ready to book holidays to visit cars as soon as they are on the internet!
- I don't recommend buying from a garage specially if not history: owner who look after it will sell that on the AO Forum,...
- History is more important than anything else and you'll notice quickly which one have been looked after....!! The Spider is an Alfa + convertible so if it's not looked after that could be a bad experience.
- Keep some money for a good service when you buy it + some money if your garage discovers stuff to replace

Anyway, good luck and I wish you to find a nice one, I'm loving mine and I'm getting ready for my 1st road trip with it in France on Friday :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts