Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I go through phones like no ones business...I just want to call/sms/whatsapp and facebook and take a few good pics that's it.

I don't want to spend more than R250pm as I get data and call plan from work.

point me in the right direction!:thumbs:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I forgot to mention. Samsung put me off smartphones for the last 4 months now. The S4 I had broke. And I would much rather not have any Samsung. I gave my Nokia Lumia 920 to my wife...I quite like them...Anybody has the 1320?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Nokia Lumia 520 at FNB cost R85pm x 24 - no contract connected
Nokia Lumia 1020 at FNB cost R279pm x 24 - no contract connected

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hhmmmm. I've seen that too Gertie. I already have an xBox with FNB...it was TOO good to pass!

Hows the BlackBerry Z10? I see its R169 at Cell C

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Care to elaborate please, because I'm leaning towards it!:cheese:

p.s it might help to add that I'm not the least interested in apps and those things, FB/Whatsapp are about the only apps I use. Then I only use music apps. Email and call are VERY important.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I've got a Z10 and I'm very happy with it. I'm also very anti Samsung because every Samsung product I've had including phones has died shortly after the warranty ran out. If you want a high end smart phone for pennies you can't go wrong with a z10. Just make sure you update to the latest OS level (10.2 I think) before you start using it. A Lot of people don't know that the BlackBerry QNX OS runs in over 200 different car makes and models, industrial control systems, medical instruments, defense, nuclear plants etc. It's very reliable and robust when updated properly and running on the right hardware. The Z10 is also physically much more Robust and solidly built than the Samsung S4 IMHO.

Get it on MTN and get yourself an Afrihost APN (R99 for 2Gb) and you'll save a ton of money. Got my bill down from R2k+ to under R500.

If you side load Snap you can download and run any app from the Android app store too.

One other thing you can buy more than one device from FNB at a time. I bought a Z10 for myself and an iPad 4 for the lady.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Care to elaborate please, because I'm leaning towards it!:cheese:

p.s it might help to add that I'm not the least interested in apps and those things, FB/Whatsapp are about the only apps I use. Then I only use music apps. Email and call are VERY important.
Ignore me. I'm not a Blackberry fan.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a Z10 and I'm very happy with it. I'm also very anti Samsung because every Samsung product I've had including phones has died shortly after the warranty ran out. If you want a high end smart phone for pennies you can't go wrong with a z10. Just make sure you update to the latest OS level (10.2 I think) before you start using it. A Lot of people don't know that the BlackBerry QNX OS runs in over 200 different car makes and models, industrial control systems, medical instruments, defense, nuclear plants etc. It's very reliable and robust when updated properly and running on the right hardware. The Z10 is also physically much more Robust and solidly built than the Samsung S4 IMHO.

Get it on MTN and get yourself an Afrihost APN (R99 for 2Gb) and you'll save a ton of money. Got my bill down from R2k+ to under R500.

If you side load Snap you can download and run any app from the Android app store too.

One other thing you can buy more than one device from FNB at a time. I bought a Z10 for myself and an iPad 4 for the lady.
great! There's a deal for R169 at vodacom I'm going to take...AND thhe phone is under R3k...i wonder must I not get it cash? But the employer is paying so who cares.

the Afrihost APN is def on the cards...but I'd like to just rent a line and then get wifi and do it the pay as you go way...no more data contracts.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Afrihost APN is month to month. So no contract. You can even order a SIM card straight from them. If I was you i'd buy the phone cash and order a SIM with APN from them. They deliver too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
How's the BlackBerry with Blue and me? When I chose my HTC some time ago a big factor was it's comparability with Blue and Me. Probably most phones these days are pretty compatible though.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How's the BlackBerry with Blue and me? When I chose my HTC some time ago a big factor was it's comparability with Blue and Me. Probably most phones these days are pretty compatible though.
I'm not going to need Blue and Me as the GQV's been traded for a blue Golf 7 R which I'm fetching this weekend in Bloem.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Blackberry? :vomit:

All mine are brand new in boxes forwarding calls to my Samsung. My work has the full BES system but with the rate of failures and broken phones they were forced to change. I'm now getting me the Note 3 from work and S5 on my own contract.

Nothing but Samsung for me. To explain my use: I have had 3 batteries in my 1 year old Galaxy Note 2. I will take a full new battery and have it hot and depleted within 4 hours. Yet my Note 2 still lasts, and is one of the few phones to work on the quayside alongside huge vessels with active radar and electronic equipment. I will have nothing else.

I wish I could take a photo of my phone so you could see how it looks after 1 year. It's messed up, cracked, paint peeling and chipping, etc. But it still works well :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Blackberry? :vomit:

All mine are brand new in boxes forwarding calls to my Samsung. My work has the full BES system but with the rate of failures and broken phones they were forced to change. I'm now getting me the Note 3 from work and S5 on my own contract.

Nothing but Samsung for me. To explain my use: I have had 3 batteries in my 1 year old Galaxy Note 2. I will take a full new battery and have it hot and depleted within 4 hours. Yet my Note 2 still lasts, and is one of the few phones to work on the quayside alongside huge vessels with active radar and electronic equipment. I will have nothing else.

I wish I could take a photo of my phone so you could see how it looks after 1 year. It's messed up, cracked, paint peeling and chipping, etc. But it still works well :thumbs:
Z10 is a totally different animal to previous generation Blackberry's. The previous generation model (8000 and 9000 series) can't even compare quality wise. I use mine in the hardened/bomb proof underground shelter that's the Vodacom datacenter in Midrand and it's one of the few that still gets signal down there. iPhones never get any signal in the 'bunker'

Each to their own but I've had VERY bad experiences with 3 Samsung phones, 2 home theatres and a Samsung mini hifi. I'm on my 3rd Blackberry (9700, 9360 and now Z10) I use mine as a 3G modem/wifi hotspot for my work Macbook, diagnostic tool for Vodacom's servers and data storage plus all the usuals (mail, web, FB) and never had a moments issues.

Seems I never agree with you Ian ;) I will concede that the Note seems a lot better made and robust than the S4 and S5.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going with the BB Z10...GQV is not traded it was a jokey...:D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Has anyone got experience with the Huawei P6 & P7? I've heard very good things and the major providers have run out of stock of these in the past due to demand.

The physical quality also looks comparable to Samsung etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts