Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say? Looking for an alternative to RAC. Is Adrian Flux any good?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I expect it is a complete lottery and depends entirely on who comes out when you need them. Just go with whichever one offers the best value policy at the time.

Having said that, I had a good experience with Green Flag with a bloke who spent nearly an hour systematically diagnosing a very complex problem. I'd have just called for the relay long before!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I've had two occasions to call out Green Flag. They were quick to arrive (they use a network of local garages rather than their own fleet) and pretty helpful both times. Whenever I've compared prices, they've always been cheaper than AA and especially RAC too.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Used the AA & Green Flag. Both superb. Currently with the RAC :lol:

Actually it was Autoaid I was with when I used Green Flag. As above it can be pot luck.

·
Registered
15,806 Posts
Britannia Rescue arranged through Asda. Like Green Flag they use a network of local garages. Never had any issues. As suggested above, I just go with a combination of price and reviews. They are all capable of dropping a massive b0ll0ck now and then.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
998 Posts
Maybe try asking friends and family, nothing better than personal recommendation

Then again it could depend on which roadside personnel comes out to you

·
Registered
38,680 Posts
I have only had to call breakdown services once and they were pretty good.

I am with the RAC... The only issue is that they keep trying to put my premium up every year. When I phone to cancel they put the price down again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use GEM. Much cheaper than all the others and they cover 2 drivers (me and the missus) driving any car. Which is especially important if you have an older car in your fleet as the AA and RAC won't cover cars over 15 years (I think).

As they don't use their own vehicles they search for the nearest garage/recovery agent to where you break down and send them so waiting times are usually a bit shorter.

Downside is you have to cover the bill yourself and claim back from GEM. However on the 2 occasions I have had to resort to them, both over 20 yrs ago, they repaid before my credit card bill came through

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We did indeed sign up with GEM, just the one car though,we have cover on the others. There are two types of cover, the one, you pay then reclaim, or as we have bought, they cover the cost.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I use GEM. Much cheaper than all the others and they cover 2 drivers (me and the missus) driving any car. Which is especially important if you have an older car in your fleet as the AA and RAC won't cover cars over 15 years (I think).

As they don't use their own vehicles they search for the nearest garage/recovery agent to where you break down and send them so waiting times are usually a bit shorter.

Downside is you have to cover the bill yourself and claim back from GEM. However on the 2 occasions I have had to resort to them, both over 20 yrs ago, they repaid before my credit card bill came through
https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/ are similar. My intention is to go back to these or to this GEM (thanks) next time around as £120+ I'm paying with the RAC is too much.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Don't know about the AA but the RAC will cover any age according to their website. This comment sent me checking as I am with the RAC and the Saxo is 16 years old.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re Tony GR

Interesting you say that (about your Saxo) 'cos the RAC didn't want to cover the Stag, but that is 38 yrs old! I'm sure at the time they wouldn,t cover cars over 15. Maybe it was 20. But they could have changed their policy.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
CarlR , My membership is personal not car related so they have, in theory, no idea what cars I am driving. But your comment did send me checking and I found this
Breakdown Vehicle Eligibilty Frequently Asked Questions | RAC 9th question on the list gives the following information. I have highlighted in BOLD the relevant bit of the answer.
Q. Can you provide breakdown cover a classic car?
Yes - for UK Breakdown Cover, there is no age limit on the vehicles we cover. Please bear in mind though - if your car is over 10 years old and you would like a vehicle-based breakdown cover, you must choose a higher level of vehicle cover than basic Roadside, such as:

Roadside and Recovery (Onward Travel optional)
Roadside and At Home
Roadside, Recovery and At Home
Roadside, Recovery, At Home and Onward Travel.
There is no car age limit if you are choosing personal-based breakdown cover.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Been with both the AA and RAC, and after having used both. RAC customer service is diabolical compared to AA, but RAC are more logical in their recovery etc.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've been with Green Flag, RAC and currently (last 4yrs) AA. There will always be good & bad reviews for all. I could write some horrendous ones over the last 46 yrs of driving, but it's "belts & braces" for me these days with a well known & well established organisation. (Cost is immaterial, I have to haggle every year with them)!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts