Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an old-model snooper gracing the front screen of my 156, but after a very very close call last night driving back from the airport (Police V70, window open, laser gun out, 300m, 10pm, lit street :eek: !!!!) I have decided that a new detector is to be purchased this weekend.

So you guys, which one do I get and why? Experiences, recommendations, in fact anything.

I'm looking at the Road Angel 2, the new Snooper and any others that will work from GPS technology as well as real-time protection.

Thanks,

Alfa20v :cool:

BTW anyone want to buy my old snooper? Open to offers! PM me! ;)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
MicroRoad pilot & a couple of Snooper SLD 920x Laser Jammers on the front seem to do just fine on my GT :D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Naah forget the micro roadpilot go for the roadpilot pro with touch screen lcd display, laser and radar detection. Works a treat in my 145 QV and my work car.
Roadpilot

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GTLeigh said:
MicroRoad pilot & a couple of Snooper SLD 920x Laser Jammers on the front seem to do just fine on my GT :D

Laser jammers!?!?! :eek: :eek: A little naughty if ever caught by the fuzz me thinks! How much is the micro road pilot? :confused: Easy to fit/use?

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crit71 said:
Naah forget the micro roadpilot go for the roadpilot pro with touch screen lcd display, laser and radar detection. Works a treat in my 145 QV and my work car.
Roadpilot

Looks interesting! will have a peek and let you know. How long have you used it crit?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Alfa20V said:
Looks interesting! will have a peek and let you know. How long have you used it crit?
Ooh about a year and a half...little bit pricey but it works and in that time it has never let me down!! EVER!!

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crit71 said:
Ooh about a year and a half...little bit pricey but it works and in that time it has never let me down!! EVER!!

Yeah £500 is a little steep! :eek: What about updates? How much?

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Alfa20V said:
BTW anyone want to buy my old snooper? Open to offers! PM me! ;)
10€ and we have a deal. :D

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
crit71 said:
Roadpilot
Naah forget the roadpilot pro its too BIG, the Mirco is small and works a treat
:D

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Alfa20V said:
Laser jammers!?!?! :eek: :eek: A little naughty if ever caught by the fuzz me thinks! How much is the micro road pilot? :confused: Easy to fit/use?
Once got caught by the fuzz....really painful & sore :cheese: :cheese:

Paid around £600 fully fitted (hard wired) along with the laser jammers which are really discreet

Just leave it to get on with it, dont really have to "use" it it just happens!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Laser Jammers, their is a loud warning if laser'd, and a small rocker switch under the steering column to switch them off, once hit, hit the switch whilst they're targeting, their display shows error so it gives you enough time to slow down,

Let me make it clear that i do not condone speeding and do not race around breaking the speed limits as much as possible , my job requires driving on a daily basis and i could not operate my business without a license, so early warning i believe is an advantage

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
As you can see by the pics the screen is very informative and gives you clear speach warnings, ie. slow down (if your over the speed limit aproaching a camera) speed limit 30 etc.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I use an Origin B2, not let me down yet - never spotted a camera which it hasn't. It doesn't do mobile spots though :(

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Fast car and fake license plates is all you need... :p

;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Welcome to Portugal, Pasi. :rolleyes: Then you get a ticket in your maisl box and you have to prove you weren't there...

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey GT and Crit,

Thank you to both of you for the photos and the efforts made :cool: Spot on!!

I am really unsure about the hard-wired thing. I drive the 156 most of the time (80%), but also the 166, Landy and mondeo, so i need it to be 100% adaptable.

For me, the laser jammer is a no no Im afraid GT. The coppers up this neck of the woods have been cracking down on those types of things and I read in the paper a few weeks back that someone was done using a jammer. "obstructing police" or something like that..... :(

I like the idea of both systems, but I was only looking to spend £400ish on a system that I can take from car to car.

mmmmm, decisions decisions.....

Will have a look at both systems over the weekend and see.

Anyone else got any pearls of wisdom they'll like to share with me??

;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
What about a pda with gps. Won't tell you where radar or laser mobile detectors are but will certainly tell you all the fixed ones.

A

·
0 Posts
Where does the law stand at present here in the UK..As I understand it the Parliamentary Bill that would have outlawed radar/laser detectors was sidelined through lack of time before the general election BUT they have said it will be reintroduced. GPS based info will remain legal, but only because the Government intends to use this technology itself for road charging.

So how long have we got before snoopers etc become illegal..Does anyone know? It might make sense to buy a GPS one with fixed sites, and have a seperate snooper type you can dispose of when the law changes. As I understand it all the Road Angel 2 types that are laser capable as well as GPS will be illegal even if the laser attachment is not in use.

I have been thinking about a TomTom Go Navigator with additional Camera Update option...kind of dual use.

Jammers are definitely illegal, and you are in very hot water if found in posession of one.

Does anyone know better than this summary. Am I right or wrong here??? I'm not entirely sure either way.

AlfaLincs (caught by mobile camera near Swaffham in april..72 in 60 zone..hardly cruising!!!)

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Alfalincs,

Think I may have seen you down there in Boston.....I've got a customer down there - Finnforest....

Anyways, not sure about the law in the future. Although I did hear that the bill to ban laser/radar detectors was overuled, but thats not to say they wont try and pass it again in the future.

This subject is really in the 'grey areas' right now.

I have a Tomtom navigator, but as I understood it it will only show you fixed sites. Not much use when they're already painted yellow.

I need a jobby to find those pesky little mobile ones - like the one I nearly got done by today just outside Rockingham Raceway in Northants....... :mad: Not a peep from my snooper as I cruised by at 40mph (thank god I had seen him in time!!! :mad: )

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
crit71 said:
What about a pda with gps. Won't tell you where radar or laser mobile detectors are but will certainly tell you all the fixed ones.

As i say in my previous post matey, I need the mobile detector more than the fixed use..... :rolleyes: Too many coppers in their vans for my liking ATM. I cannot afford to be off the road for 45 in a 40 zone..... :tut: Very easily done Im afraid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts