Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been using this forum for a while...unfortunately in a bad light due to a raft of unforeseen problems with my car and dealerships.....I wish it had been different as the drivabilty and looks are the main reasons that I've held on to it.......1 year to be precise but I'm going to get rid of it as soon as I can.

The posts I've written are also well documented on a blog which has been mainly shared with many work colleagues over the year...it's turned into more 'entertainment' value and I am indeed the victim. They all smugly drive reliable cars BTW.

Anyway, my well documented experience is ready to publish, so to speak, to Alfa head office and I was wondering if anyone could tell me th best place to send it to. Has anyone written to a certain place representing Alfa that has a good response? or actually got some solid feedback from Italy etc?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.....I've filled out every 2010 magasine 'Power Survey' going to express my dissapointmet but I always had it mind to take this further.
Cheers

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Mr Humberstone is the top man but check out Trouty's GT Tyres post as he feels he's been about as effective as a chocolate firegaurd!

Post here & on the Cloverleaf forum.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,712 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could tell me th best place to send [my complaint]
Sure. Straight into your bin.

(and i'm not being facetious, given AR's understanding of customer service)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
...I know what you mean Scudetto. I've tried sending my details through the website contact page.....no one has contacted me. When I do get through on the number they provide the representative (tried twice now) doesn't give out a name or address to send complaints as all information is filtered upwards from there. I know nothing will happen with that for sure as they probably have too many issues to deal with.

As for Mr Humberstone!? This guy couldn't care less about individual complaints!!!!.

I'm not sure what I'm after here exactly and some may think it OTT. But I firmly believe I need to get some sort of message out to someone or something (publication) about how disheartening my Alfa experience has been...I guess it's so that I can move on and just put it to bed and enjoy my next (not fiat/alfa) car.

I also think that the way I bought the car has something to do with it. I saved for ages having the dream of owning an Alfa. Most people it seems, especially Mito owners buy on car finance) and spending £12k of hard earned cash on an 18 month old car that has been nothing but trouble is in my view disgusting. The dealers have been OK but never have they even looked into replacing the car or offering some sort of money back.....just taken ages to fix it.

A friend of mine who works for BBC Midlands is looking into a contact at the Top Gear magasine. He reckons I could get a case document with pics together and propose they do an article my experience. I've got every single peice of documentation. Bit of a long shot.....we'll see.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
So yet again, a one off bad experiance will tell the world "Don't but Alfa, they are crap"

Well done :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I disagree Mitch. He's given them ample chance to fix the issues but still has them. Same issue with me & each of the three times I featured in Autoexpress.

The simply don't (or can't) help themselves and sadly propogate their own bad press:(

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think thats a little unfair Mitch166 and I don't think your seeing the bigger picture. I'm the first person to promote Alfa.......to drive and to look at they are by far the best in the mainstream buyers market....That's why I bought one.

There's certainly no issue of a one-off case! Surely you've been involved with this particular forum to realise that!?:confused:

Sadly, the build quality and general testing of the cars Alfa manufacture are without doubt falling way short of the new industry standards and quality benchmarks. The more Alfa owners stop hiding and brushing this simple fact away and complain more aggressively the better a potentially great brand will get...if it has a future. You only have to look at any Customer Power survey going and the Fiat Group are 'always' in the bottom 10 with all models. Take a look at all the niggles and complaints with the Mito section....It's incredible!

...and to top it all off Fiat/AR have 'the worst' UK dealership reputation going which again does not strike me as being ' a one off!'

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I don't agree.

The number of happy customers far out weigh the unhappy ones. If the product was at fault this would not be the case. There a plenty of cases of all marques quality failing customers at times, it's not a Fiat thing.

I am not so nieve I don't realise that customer care is singularly Alfa UK's biggest downfall, it really can be poor although you yourself have said the dealer was ok in your case.

My point is, I am sick of the publicity tactic used to try and force Alfas hand when a customer is disgruntled. All this does is inflame the unfair "all Alfas break down" slogan that is completely crap. Keep bloody Top Gear and Mr "I'm an Alfa fan really but I wouldn't recommend one to a friend" Clarkson out of it.

Don't bang the "I am an Alfa fan" drum and then threaten to do this. Et tu Brute??

·
Registered
294 Posts
So yet again, a one off bad experiance will tell the world "Don't but Alfa, they are crap"

Well done :rolleyes:
The JD power survey asked over 16,000 buyers of new cars to report back. The closest Marque to Alfa is Fiat which came last. As we know Fiat/Alfa shares lots of parts. I guess this is not a "one bad experience" there must be a high percentage of unhappy Alfa customers compared to other brands.

We all like the Alfa brand but it doesn't sound like they helping this man.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Mitch.

I assume that post was a shot at me so let me clarify something.

The publicity thing is & was a last resort for me:(

We had loads of dialogue, written, spoken & via email but I got lied to, several times, in front of numerous Alfisti buddies at two high profile Alfa events:mad:

They reaped what the sewed after that. I'm reasonable but I will not be taken as a mug:tut:

It wouldn't be so bad but I devote a significant proportion of my spare time to promoting the marque, here on AO, with AROC & via my visible support for the brand (cuff-links, coats, jackets, hats, calendars, brollies, model cars & so on) so if they treat loyal Alfisti like that, how do they treat the casual passing buyer:confused:

Alfa improved in last years Driver Power survey (second year in a row) and you have a time limited opportunity to put over your honest views via my thread on here.

But, and it's a BIG but, they have a long way to go until they can be second in the league, like they are in Germany.

I with they'd take a leaf out of the German book of customer support......

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Very intelligent answer, thanks for that :rolleyes:

The JD power survey asked over 16,000 buyers of new cars to report back. The closest Marque to Alfa is Fiat which came last. As we know Fiat/Alfa shares lots of parts. I guess this is not a "one bad experience" there must be a high percentage of unhappy Alfa customers compared to other brands.

We all like the Alfa brand but it doesn't sound like they helping this man.
The JD survey is a bit of a joke. it is well known that most people only take part because they have a problem. Even if this wasn't the case, it is only a small part of the car sales involved. Not really a guarenteed result.

Mitch.

I assume that post was a shot at me so let me clarify something.
No it wasn't Si, it was aimed at the OP Top Gear comment but I realise you could have seen it directed at you and I understand that. Just let me be clear, I have no problem with people who have been let down by Alfa UK, going through all the right channels to get satifaction, including trading standards etc, go for it, it's your right. My problem is with the going to the media to slagoff Alfa to get a result. The media have already made thier minds up about Alfa so they love a bit of fuel to the fire. All I am saying is, don't claim to be pure Alfisti and then ,moan when Alfa pull out of the UK.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Blimey so this guys not allowed to go to the media because he it could hurt the alfa brand:rolleyes: mitch you need reminding that alfa in the past month or so are doing great job of wrecking it themselves - mito freezing belts, fiat looking to sort out the mess that is alfa Romeo in the public arena etc. You can't blame felty for looking to sort his problems out considering he has used his hard earned cash. Lots of people are nervous at the moment cause it seems yours and OUR beloved alfa is somewhat in a fix of which there are numerous people posting about in the last week or so. Please don't tell us you have more medals than anyone else - my gt is the best car I have ever owned and I love this site but tell me what level of alfisti I am.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
If the JD survey is crap, how come Alfa came out so good in Germany then:confused:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Blimey so this guys not allowed to go to the media because he it could hurt the alfa brand:rolleyes: mitch you need reminding that alfa in the past month or so are doing great job of wrecking it themselves - mito freezing belts, fiat looking to sort out the mess that is alfa Romeo in the public arena etc. You can't blame felty for looking to sort his problems out considering he has used his hard earned cash. Lots of people are nervous at the moment cause it seems yours and OUR beloved alfa is somewhat in a fix of which there are numerous people posting about in the last week or so. Please don't tell us you have more medals than anyone else - my gt is the best car I have ever owned and I love this site but tell me what level of alfisti I am.
All new models have problems, now the MiTo one has been identified, Alfa are rectifiying this one. No, I don't blame Felty for wanting to sort his problem out, I have issue with the route he has taken. I don't know what level of Alfisti you are, I'm not banging on about medals, i do know however that slagging the marque to the motoring media is hardly "Alfisti" now is it?

If the JD survey is crap, how come Alfa came out so good in Germany then:confused:
Well that just shows you how crap the survey is, Alfa come bottom in UK but did well in Germany with the same product :confused: that makes alot of sense doesn't it?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
All new models have problems, now the MiTo one has been identified, Alfa are rectifiying this one. No, I don't blame Felty for wanting to sort his problem out, I have issue with the route he has taken. I don't know what level of Alfisti you are, I'm not banging on about medals, i do know however that slagging the marque to the motoring media is hardly "Alfisti" now is it?

Well that just shows you how crap the survey is, Alfa come bottom in UK but did well in Germany with the same product :confused: that makes alot of sense doesn't it?
It confirms what we know already Mitch.

That is that the latest products are very good but here in the UK, many dealers are dissinterested when it comes to customer service, mainly because, as I see & understand it, the Manufacturer & manufacturer backed importer is pretty dissinterested in it's dealers and the UK bases Alfisti.

Go to Germany & see for yourself (in person, through conversations with German Alfisti or via the motoring press) how highly regarded "new Alfa" is regarded!

It ****** me off that this cannot be replicated over here:mad:

·
Registered
179 Posts
sorry bit of crap post by myself I just read it this morning - i guess a bottle of pinot and an iphone don't make for good (coherent) contributions to the forum - so sorry about that guys. :eek:
I guess I just get irked when people seem to jump on people moaning about there problems with the cars - and its very distressing when you work hard to get your dream machine and then you are left in limbo when it goes on the blink. Often alfaowner acts as the only support forum because its quite easy to get nowhere with the dealers and ARUK. Although I'm not a massive poster I have enjoyed telling my GT stories in an objective manner (there have been quality issues with the car - no question). But in true alfaowner style everyone helps out and its gets sorted one way or another. I guess where we are all being let down at the moment - I for one am pretty sure I going to buy another alfa (maybe in July) although the doubts have been creeping in more in the last few weeks the more you read into the UK situation. I know you don't buy an alfa for residual value etc but the new cars (which seems light years ahead of my 08 plate GT) need better backing from the AlfaUK it is as simple as that!

Matt

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
That's among the more bizarre things I've ever read on AO (and that's saying something)
I was quoting post 14, it's not my words. If you are going to join the thread, please read all the posts.

To sum up, I don't believe there is much wrong with the product, I think we all agree the UK customer service can be very hit and miss at best, and if anyone one forks out their hard earned cash gets let down, they have an absolute right to seek satisfaction. What i don't like is using the media as a weapon. It is damaging and it really serves no purpose other than to push Alfa Romeo closer to the edge.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts