Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reckon it's time for a new battery. I've not had any problems with it in the year I've had the 166, but I flattened it by accidentally leaving the interior lights on for 24 hours :( After charging it, the voltage is dropping back from 12.7 to about 12.3 volts over night. Not knowing the age of the battery, I reckon it's it might be time to look at replacing it.

But I've just looked on the Halfords website and the batteries are £96-£126! :wow: Wish I had a trade card!

Can anyone suggest somewhere that I can get a new battery for a more reasonable price?

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I and a friend have had batteries from a breaker. He paid £20 for his, and I've previously visited that scrappie with him (in Norfolk) and the guy has come out and fitted the light he'd bought and had a look and suggested where the oil leak was (Car was a Ford).

I bought my car over 5 years ago, and I think most of that time it's been happily using one I got for £10 from another scrappy and they took the old one. It's gone flat at least twice where I've left the lights on and charged up OK in the car after jumping it from another battery. Like my friend they tried giving me one size too big, I took mine back and asked for a smaller one, but my friend has his in/on the battery tray securely clamped down.

I assume with the prospect of a cold winter you want you know it's spot on. A few weeks ago having a look under the bonnet of a colleagues car I spotted a battery caddy, padded plastic material cover enclosing the battery from above. I'd never come across one before. May help a battery take less of hit when temperatures drop.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
A Renault dealers 96Ah ...not sure what they cost now.(Yoost to bee aroon 40 squids.)..jist dont do as yeeve dun...agree wie Eshy tho...wait till it gives up rah ghost.

Pomeo

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
Worth comparing prices inc delivery.
via my link a Bosch S5005 is £59.95, the same spec Varta D15 from Tanya is £81.55

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ivor Biggun.

Had mine replaced this year. The original (6 yrs old) was getting feeble.

I've got the biggest (Yuasa) specified. About £100. Big car, big engine & two horrible winters, I don't want to be caught out.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I have always got a good deal and a good specification battery from my local motor factors.

In my 164s and 166s I typically found that a battery change was required as previous owners had scrimped hiding an inadequate battery away in the boot that was only fit for starting a fiat panda!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Embarrassingly small one.

The battery in My S4 Spider was tiny. Smaller even than the one in my 499cc FIAT 500.

It failed after a year in my ownership.

That's the trouble with hidden batteries (S4 Spiders have them in the boot too), they get ignored.

I'm all for massive ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reckon it's time for a new battery. I've not had any problems with it in the year I've had the 166, but I flattened it by accidentally leaving the interior lights on for 24 hours :( After charging it, the voltage is dropping back from 12.7 to about 12.3 volts over night. Not knowing the age of the battery, I reckon it's it might be time to look at replacing it.

But I've just looked on the Halfords website and the batteries are £96-£126! :wow: Wish I had a trade card!

Can anyone suggest somewhere that I can get a new battery for a more reasonable price?
Glad I'm not the only one! My 156 was deader that a dodo this morning courtesy of my 5 year old son and a rear courtesy light! I called the RAC as I have no charger and found that the existing battery was dropping its charge anyway and was in need of replacement. Fitted a new Bosch battery for £106.99, which was £13 cheaper than Halfords were charging for the same battery (plus the £4.99 fitting charge which was included with RAC). At least I can legitimately claim that I was let down by my son rather than by my Alfa!:lol:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Local autofactors are more than happy with cash sales so you dont need a trade card, some do give a better discount for account holders but you need letterhead and vat number, just phone a couple up and give them the reg/ask for a price, knocks about a third off halford prices usually.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I put a second hand one in from auto lusso about two years ago, and its still absolutely fine. £15 well spent!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well with Eurocarparts having a 25% offer at the moment, it seemed rude not take advantage! So I've reserved a Bosch S4, for £62.

Existing battery is still doing the job, yet I've seen it as low as 11.9V and still starting fine (makes me wonder if my multimeter is working OK!). I'm sure it was around the same when I'd run it flat and it wouldn't turn over.

So even though it may well have kept going OK, it's not often yuo can get a 25% discount on an expensive item like this so I decided I just had to get it while the opportunity is there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts