Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is what I have been quoted to straighten out the GTA after the bonnet let go on me :(

That includes, new bonnet, new wing, new scuttle trim, bonnet hinges/struts, plus repainting the bumper/sideskirts and blending in.

My folks have said they want to help pay as they have had to help my Sister a lot and I just get on with things.

But work is taking a turn for the worse, so to be honest I am not sure now and wondering whether I should just cut my losses, and sell it :(

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That is what I have been quoted to straighten out the GTA after the bonnet let go on me :(

That includes, new bonnet, new wing, new scuttle trim, bonnet hinges/struts, plus repainting the bumper/sideskirts and blending in.

My folks have said they want to help pay as they have had to help my Sister a lot and I just get on with things.

But work is taking a turn for the worse, so to be honest I am not sure now and wondering whether I should just cut my losses, and sell it :(
Sounds like a lot, sure you could get the bonnet, wing (as I think it is just a stick on side skirt than changes the bottom?) scuttle trim, hinges/struts second hand for peanuts from any 156 and then its just a matter of getting it sprayed up with the bumper and side skirts.

Can't imagine the paint would be more than £500 (inc labour), plus used bits at say 200-250 max and labour for the rest. Surely under £1k?

Bonnet http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-156-1-8-TS-98-REG-BONNET-SILVER-/230724792957?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b844f27d

Wing (assuming drivers and that the GTA isnt different) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-156-O-S-Front-Wing-Alfa-Red-130-B-B-/220927741384?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337051cdc8

Scuttle http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-156-SCUTTLE-COVERS-97-2-0L-TS-RHD-/280792524401?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416089e671

Struts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/alfa-romeo-156-2-0-16v-veloce-PAIR-bonnet-damper-struts-BREAKING-ALL-PARTS-/220924492653?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3370203b6d

(Less than £100 for parts!)

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
I'd agree - I wouldn't charge more than about £100 for the second-hand parts - why does a bonnet letting go involve bumper and sideskirts?

Shouldn't be morew than a grand all-in, I'd have thought....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming a body shop has put this quote together for you, and they have priced up brand new, Alfa sourced parts. If you go down this route, why not claim on your insurance....I assume you're fully comp. Otherwise, take your time and source the parts second hand, then present them to a bodyshop to prep, paint and fit.

·
Registered
30,082 Posts
Sounds like a lot, sure you could get the bonnet, wing (as I think it is just a stick on side skirt than changes the bottom?) scuttle trim, hinges/struts second hand for peanuts from any 156 and then its just a matter of getting it sprayed up with the bumper and side skirts.
Wing (assuming drivers and that the GTA isnt different) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-156-O-S-Front-Wing-Alfa-Red-130-B-B-/220927741384?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337051cdc8
GTA wings are different (wider arches).

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I'm assuming a body shop has put this quote together for you, and they have priced up brand new, Alfa sourced parts. If you go down this route, why not claim on your insurance....I assume you're fully comp. Otherwise, take your time and source the parts second hand, then present them to a bodyshop to prep, paint and fit.
You do risk writing the car off for this though.... which at that cost, I am sure it would be written off.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That is quite alot I agree - however that is inc vat which would be almost £600 alone then all the new parts from Alfa, I'm sure that whilst some of the parts prices listed above are not compariable for a GTA e.g. wings, the more common parts could be second hand - however those wings will have to be new.

I little bit of work I could expect that the bill will end up half that amount or less. I also know the bodyshop and he is 1st class in what he does and from what I've also seen where he has quoted against other places - has always been the most competitive on price.

The same reaction happened with my nephew and his girlfriends Puma, he got a quote from the same body shop and thought "how much" and then got quotes through other repair places inc via his insurance approved place. The insurance company are now allowing him to use this place as it was the best quote.

It might be worth getting other quotes for the exact same work, using new parts etc...so that you can get a fair balance

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Adam,

I take it the 3K was all-in, or were you going to do anything yourself?

You might be better off sourcing the parts yourself and getting a bodyshop to fit them and do the paint.

For what it's worth I was advised against 2nd hand wings as they are all going to be rusty.

3K seems a bit high based on what I paid for getting the wings & bonnet done in December. Considering the knock-on effect on your insurance it might be best if (if nothing else) you get an interest free loan from the Bank of Parents.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Ur wings r gonna be around 200 plus vat each at a minimum from somewhere like autolusso think 350 plus vat each from dealer, the rest can be second hand so probably looking at 1500plus. That price is probably ok taking into account all new dealer sourced prices with vat on top.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Hi Adam

I used to look after your Integrale;If you would like to give me a ring on Monday on 01474 879210 we can have a look ,we have an Alfa Romeo approved body shop at very good rates:)

cheers

John

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You do risk writing the car off for this though.... which at that cost, I am sure it would be written off.
I think it would be a close call!

That is quite alot I agree - however that is inc vat which would be almost £600 alone then all the new parts from Alfa, I'm sure that whilst some of the parts prices listed above are not compariable for a GTA e.g. wings, the more common parts could be second hand - however those wings will have to be new.

I little bit of work I could expect that the bill will end up half that amount or less. I also know the bodyshop and he is 1st class in what he does and from what I've also seen where he has quoted against other places - has always been the most competitive on price.

The same reaction happened with my nephew and his girlfriends Puma, he got a quote from the same body shop and thought "how much" and then got quotes through other repair places inc via his insurance approved place. The insurance company are now allowing him to use this place as it was the best quote.

It might be worth getting other quotes for the exact same work, using new parts etc...so that you can get a fair balance
For the work they had outlined I don't think it was too bad, the killer was the parts. From their source the total was just over £800 parts alone. Labour was about £1200 which given at least a few days work I don't think much worse than a lot of places.

Adam,

I take it the 3K was all-in, or were you going to do anything yourself?

You might be better off sourcing the parts yourself and getting a bodyshop to fit them and do the paint.

For what it's worth I was advised against 2nd hand wings as they are all going to be rusty.

3K seems a bit high based on what I paid for getting the wings & bonnet done in December. Considering the knock-on effect on your insurance it might be best if (if nothing else) you get an interest free loan from the Bank of Parents.
Yeah, as I say my folks want to help out so this is not going through insurance. I know it seems a bit daft, but as no other cars are involved I would rather not screw up the no claims etc.

Hi Adam

I used to look after your Integrale;If you would like to give me a ring on Monday on 01474 879210 we can have a look ,we have an Alfa Romeo approved body shop at very good rates:)

cheers

John
Thanks for the offer John, looks like it would have been the same place :lol: Hope all is well, do you still have your Lancias?

Anyway, as a turn of events the car is being collected on Wednesday by Autolusso as they have all the parts to hand and a second hand bonnet. So once again thanks Ned :thumbs: Got a lot on at the moment so its nice to have the car going somewhere I know. Plus it means I will have to take the day off/work from home and can sort my CV out :D

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Yeah, as I say my folks want to help out so this is not going through insurance. I know it seems a bit daft, but as no other cars are involved I would rather not screw up the no claims etc.
Nothing daft about it. You'll probably be washing the ould fella's car for a while.. ;)

Good to know she's in good hands now.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Mine is lovely :thumbs:

I would have brought it round the day I picked it up but the traffic was a mare and I had a gig to get to.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
Got it, thanks for your help today Adam, these now emission rules are going to be a nightmare

The car is up at Harris Coach Works and it does not look too bad, with parts and VAT I think it will be half the cost you have been quoted (not confirmed yet)

Still don't really understand why you are not putting it through the insurance but that is up to you

Ned

1 - 20 of 29 Posts