Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes on my GTV Cup are now due for a change. I have never been over impressed with the standard set-up and they have overheated a couple of times on me and severely faded. I would like to put uprated discs and pads on there to try to improve the braking and would like to know what people have found to be a good set-up?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If I was doing it I would go for braided hoses, drilled and slotted discs and the better pads.

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
DS2500 pads.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
IMO pads are more important than the discs. I'd go for the DS2500's (I use them on my Brembos and they never fade). Good quality standard discs should be ok. Complete bleed with good Dot 4 fluid.

Braided hose should give a harder pedal and better initial response.

I use slotted discs and they are noisy when really pushed and I assume they give an increased braking performance...........and they certainly look good :p

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
My mechanic recently told me that there is a recall on braided hoses (they have started breaking / leaking), so no one is fitting them. I certainly wouldn't be putting them on my car until this has been sorted out.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Funkster, you (or you're mechanic) are having a laugh aren't you?

Do a search on the internet, see if you can find anything about a recall? Does this not seem surprising that such a potentially life threatening fault has not made it on to the world wide web?...

Especially when so many of the part suppliers continue to sell braided brake lines that are known to break/leak (go online and you find plenty of places to order them from.. no one seems to have withdrawn them from their e shops).

Also which manufacturers brake lines are actually faulty... or are we to assume that the various manufacturers all use exactly the same design and processes, so having the same fault?

:confused:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I never asked what brand of lines were breaking. All I know is, the guy knows a hell of a lot more than I do and he advised very strongly against it.

Perhaps he meant under extreme condition, as he does a lot of track work. But this is the reason I am not running braided hoses. And again, perhaps it's only on TS models (the V6 has a completely different system, no? Or just different calipers?).

I would never believe the internet over a man who works on tuning / racing / fixing Alfas 9-6, 5 days a week.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Can you ask him for the recall notice details (i.e. manufacturer and affected parts) as I've got stainless steel brake lines and can't seem to find any details of any kind of recall on the internet and the supplier of my hoses has not notified me on any recall.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would never believe the internet over a man who works on tuning / racing / fixing Alfas 9-6, 5 days a week.
The opinions on the internet include those of mechanics, manufacturers, owners... billions (literally) of people across the world use it, and I'm certain that a problem as serious as this would be mentioned somewhere - especially as braided hoses are used in F1 and WRC. I'm sure we'd have heard about a failure there? Monty's point about which manufacturer is at fault is also a very good one - if there was a problem with Brembo discs, I wouldn't assume that all brake discs from all manufacturers were faulty.

Nonetheless I'm impressed by your loyalty to this mechanic, whose opinion you hold in such high regard that you're prepared to ignore any evidence to the contrary :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
And while you're replacing everything, made sure the pad guides on the Brembos allow the pads to move easily (you'll probably have a slog with needle file/dremel). Wouldn't be surprised if you cannot get the new pad in without a hammer otherwise.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
This thread reminds me I need to have a go at the rear offside, making a hell of a squealing noise after driving for a while..

·
Registered
38,251 Posts
With reference to the leaking flexi hoses...

There were problems with goodridge hoses a while back IIRC, as it was mentioned on the Fiat Coupe forum.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
There is a forum post but I can't get any detail as the page is down while they move servers. Google summary below.

V IMPORTANT - Goodridge hose recall - Fiat Coupe Forum32 posts - 9 authors
I can confirm I have been selling these ones on the Fiat Coupe for the last 6 months, sold several sets and had no reported problems on these at all ...
UBB Error - Fiat Coupe Forum - 111k -

Still not convinced that a fiat problem from a while back is a necessary reason to boycott for your Alfa now.

Also given that rubber hoses have a much shorter life expectency (circa 3 years/60,000 miles compared to lifetime guarantee (150,000 miles) for Goodridge SS hoses) staying with your existing rubber hose does not guarantee that you won't have brake leaks. Rubber hoses are more prone to failure under extreme use... here's the science (admittedly from Goodridge so you may consider biased).

http://www.goodridge.net/usa/pdf/all_markets/Goodridge_stainless_v_rubber.pdf

·
Registered
257 Posts
The opinions on the internet include those of mechanics, manufacturers, owners... billions (literally) of people across the world use it, and I'm certain that a problem as serious as this would be mentioned somewhere - especially as braided hoses are used in F1 and WRC. I'm sure we'd have heard about a failure there? Monty's point about which manufacturer is at fault is also a very good one - if there was a problem with Brembo discs, I wouldn't assume that all brake discs from all manufacturers were faulty.

Nonetheless I'm impressed by your loyalty to this mechanic, whose opinion you hold in such high regard that you're prepared to ignore any evidence to the contrary :)
There's evidence to the contrary? Opinions expressed on some internet forum are not fact, and do you really think their would be some kind of world wide outrage because braided brake lines were leaking no some old coupés?.

You seem to think I am implying that braided hoses are failing due to some kind of general design flaw. What I am saying is "I was told that the braided hoses for Spiders / GTVs were failing". The mechanic, that I was going to pay to fit these hoses, refused on this basis.

Of course, it's only common sense that the flaw would lie within one manufacturer of these hoses, but I am not sure what one. Just relax buddy, you're not on commission from these things, are you? :)

All I wanted to point out was that you have to exercise extreme caution before purchasing and fitting these things at the moment. If you need to find out more technical detials / specifics, call Angel Tuning. And you should be impressed with my loyalty to my mechanic, he's a hell of a guy ;)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Funkster... the only evidence on the internet that there is a problem is your post with a (second hand) report from your mechanic. :)

There is no substantiating information that I can find on the internet (e.g. recall order from Goodridge or posts of people experiencing problems).

Your assertion that no one is fitting them doesn't really seem borne out by the fact that suppliers are still selling them on their websites. This would imply that these suppliers are deliberately selling goods that convene the Sale of Goods Act... given we are talking about brakes that are an important safety aid this would appear extremely reckless if not criminally negligent... You know... the sort of news you might just find on the web :)

As I said, if you/your mechanic can provide more info. such as recall order then I think you are entirely justified in posting... it's just that without this it does come across a little like scaremongering.

I'm not on commission either... and I'm not having a personal attack at you but the one thing the internet allows is for unsubstantiated opinion to be dressed up as fact (which I am not saying was your intent) therefore a healthy scepticism and desire to see supporting evidence is no bad thing which is where I and I think Rob were coming from.

p.s. I have Goodridge braided brake lines fitted so I do have some vested interest in whether they are any good or not

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm not on commission either... and I'm not having a personal attack at you but the one thing the internet allows is for unsubstantiated opinion to be dressed up as fact (which I am not saying was your intent) therefore a healthy scepticism and desire to see supporting evidence is no bad thing which is where I and I think Rob were coming from.
Ah, but you see, this style of logic also voids your statement. "There's nothing about it on the internet, therefore it must be false." It would make more sense to me to be sceptical of the internet, than it would of a man who I know spends most of his life under Alfa Romeos.

Anyway, all I said was "my mechanic recently told me there has been problems with braided brake lines leaking / breaking on GTVs and Spiders." He refused to fit them on my car on this basis.

I'm not sure how we got into such a debate about the fact. I don't really see where there is room for discussion in my statement either. This is starting to thoroughly confuse me. :confused: I see you how you may doubt my mechanics advice, but I really can't answer for him or give you any technical details. I asked him about fitting them, he said no because there had been problems... Beyond that, I have nothing else to add.

How do you think I feel? I wanted them fitted! :lol:

edit: and of course I understand this is nothing personal :)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Fair play mate.. but there are a lot of trolls around so we have to be wary :)

For my own piece of mind I have emailed the retailer I bought mine from to get clarification. I'll post the answer when I get it. Assuming it's an all clear are you going to get yours done? :lol:

Hopefully the Goodridge testing convinced you of the benefits :p

·
Registered
257 Posts
I understand completely :). I would love to get mine done, as I hate the feel of the brakes at the moment (even with new discs and pads). Next time I'm at the garage I'll ask him again, see what the deal is (and I'll see if I can find out specifics of the problem). I need to get my front arms and bushes done soon, so it won't be long ;-)

Are Goodridge the best braided hoses? I've seen a few different brands, all varying in price - but it's not something I'd want to skimp on.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I'm not overly convinced they did much to improve the feel of mine... but I had new discs and pads at the same time so by the time the pads had bedded in maybe I'd forgotten just what they were like before :lol: On the plus side they'll never need to be done again (assuming they are not faulty :rolleyes: ).

Goodridge are a long established premier brand which is why I went for them. Hopefully this translates into a good quality product.

I'm getting to the point where I think the only way to get my brakes to feel a bit more like they want to stop me is to get a bigger brake master cylinder on the basis that everything else has been upgraded :(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts