Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after more than 7 years of being the happy owner (with some ups and downs :sneaky:) of a GT, I finally traded her in a for a 2010 159 TI, 1750 tbi. With a little baby boy the GT didn't cut it in terms of practicality and space. ;)
The car is still in fantastic nick! Bodywork still looks great after all those years and engine runs smooth as silk. Engine got a chiptune to push it just a tad. Obviously I want to keep it running as good. First thing I want to do is to give it a good service, starting with an oil change. But what oil does it take?
Searching around, I'm getting very mixed results. Some say I should definitely stick to the recommended Selenia Sport power 5w40 (expensive and hard to come by). My regular Alfa parts supplier recommends Selenia Quadrifoglio 5w40 (even more expensive). And some say any premium brand 5w40 should be fine.
What oil should I give her?

·
Registered
214 Posts
When the TBI came out, the recommended oil for this engine had to comply to the Fiat 9.55535-S2 norm (namely Selenia Star PE). Later the recommandation had been updated to Fiat 9.55535-GH2 (or Selenia Sport Power 5W40). Recently the Selenia Sport Power has been replaced by the Selenia Quadrifoglio, which is still Fiat 9.55535-GH2.

So, when I searched for oil for service earlier this year, I found several other brands which comply to the GH2 standard. I chose the "Total Quartz INEO C3 5W40" (note there's also a 5W30 with the same name). And there also is one oil made by Ravenol which has the GH2.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. So pretty much any oil that conforms to the Fiat 9.55535-GH2 spec should do?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Normally it should, these standards are here for this, as long as it is 5W40.

Maybe other oils won't do any harm, but I didn't want to try on MY engine. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts