Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to change the cat, but just not got the strength and rusty nuts.

I've not got rusty nuts, the car. :D

Anyone recommend an impact wrench or similar tool?

I don't want to blow hard earned cash to find out I've shopped one with not enough power or doesn't fit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got one of those (Clarke CEW1000), does the job and has certainly saved many strained arms and backs.

Easily copes with seized wheels nuts and the like, just watch the bolts are in good nick otherwise it will just snap then off, been there done that :rolleyes:

My only complaint would be its quite big and you can't always get in to where you need to use it. For the price though it was the best I could find.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Will probably snap off, grind the remains flat then buy a good colbalt drill bit to drill through then fit nuts and bolts.In the long run its probably the quickest and cheapest option.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got one of those (Clarke CEW1000), does the job and has certainly saved many strained arms and backs.

Easily copes with seized wheels nuts and the like, just watch the bolts are in good nick otherwise it will just snap then off, been there done that :rolleyes:

My only complaint would be its quite big and you can't always get in to where you need to use it. For the price though it was the best I could find.
Are you okay to use normal sockets with it or does it have to be the impact ones?

K

·
0 Posts
you really want impact sockets with an impact gun, the chromed ones can shatter and cause you grief or injury!

but as davealfa says, heat is your best friend to get the rusted exhaust nuts off. simply putting a gun on may end up in sheared nuts.

if you can get a grinder in then slicing down the side of the nut then chiselling it open will release the old nut. then you can clean up the threads on the remaining stud to accept a new nut.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Dont think impact is the way forward here.

Soak in WD.......HEAT (I Know with WD, itll be fine :p)....and just a long spanner.......and the first thing id buy is a drill and new bolts (you WILL need them lol).

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Standard impact will not help with rusty nuts. If they started life as 13mm, they will now be a corroded 12 mm and no normal socket will grip them. You might be able to get them to turn with an impact and nut extractors, but it will be quicker to drill them out or cut them off with a die grinder....

That is the problem with big impact guns. You don't need whopping torque for a 13 mm nut. A 1/4" impact is the size of your fist, and will work fine.

K

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
you need nut cherry red in colour ,then wind it off,as it cools it transfers heat to stud ,thats when they tend to shear off

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts