Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn by indecision. I know I want a 105 series but I am struggling to decide which path to take. I want a car to use for the occasional drive to work (1-2 times a week) and for weekends or on a track (3-4 times a year or more if it as much fun as people say it is)

Option 1 - buy a reasonable, solid example GTJ/GTV with a long term plan to stockpile cash and parts towards the goal of creating a good fast road/occasional track car with a replica GTA look but still very useable on the road (ie, no roll cage/harness, keep the back seats).

Option 2 - buy the replica already done (eg on the Classic Alfa site at the mo for 16.5K) but accept it's never a purists car but have lots of fun with the great look coupled with a more modern engineering approach.

Option 3 - buy a restored pure example of a 1750 or 2000GTV (prob the later LSD model 2000GTV if poss) and keep it unmolested but accept the limitations/reliability of 1970's technology.

I suppose I need to have a drive in the classic vs replica options to make my mind up. I have owned a 1969 BMW2002 and I loved the feel of the car on the road and the driving experience.

If this is already done to death then pls point me to the discussions but I did have a look and found no answer.

Thanks

PD

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well logically, if you really want to use it for trackdays then there is less point considering option 3. It would leave you a little frustrated and feeling strangely inadequate on trackdays. And if you bought an original car, as you say you could not really molest it.

Which leaves you with option 1 or 2. Your option 1 sounds very much like my car. No concours winner but clean, very good fun and fast enough (though it can always be faster). Handling kit, big brakes, sprint gearing, gripper diff and a few mild power tweaks. To be honest I think you'd get a car to my spec for half the price of classicalfa ad option 2.

The option 2 is a trackday or race car which can be used on the road (rather than the other way round). Upsides of that spec are that it will be very fast. The whole thing probably weighs in under 900kg and with 187bhp will be well over 200bhp/ton which puts you in lower end porsche performance territory. Downsides are that it will be very noisy and 'flimsy' feeling with all those lightweight plastic panels. Steering may be heavier than desirable on the road. Also side impact protection will be close to zero without a roll cage and GRP doors. One owner of a GRP bodied car affectionately calls it 'plastic pig' . Personally I don't find the wide arch GTaM look quite as pretty as a standard bodied car (but thats personal taste).

If you can hold on a few months there are 105 series trackdays at Castle Combe (alfaholics) and Goodwood (classicalfa). Entry is free so you would be welcome to come along and I'm sure you'd get rides in various examples if you ask around. That'd allow you to compare back to back.

Or have a look round the ads and give them test drives. Good luck, I can only admire your taste and discernment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Great advice and I'm much closer to getting the right car I think. I agree the GTAm is too OTT and prefer the more understated GTA.

I will definitely get along to one of the trackdays and see if I can get a ride. I was also going to the Stamford AROC outing in April too.

Thanks again for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts