Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on way home from mums tonight I hit a pot hole. About 3 miles down the road i had to pull over I had a punture. Slipped on the space saver (luckily it was dark so no one saw me with a wheel barrow wheel on my n/s front) It would appear the impact with the pot hole had bent the wheel and broke the bead on the tyre. Man these wheels are soft. Any way when I got back I stuck the trolley jack in the middle of the wheel and jacked it back into shape with a little help from my hammer. Pummped it up and have to wait and see it it stays up now. This did cause some scuffing on the rim but it is only on the inside.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
JackPJW said:
I stuck the trolley jack in the middle of the wheel and jacked it back into shape with a little help from my hammer. .
Nice one :lol: :lol: ;)

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Ithink you will be very lucky if it fixes I did the same and a friend with a 155 ,if your dunt fixes could you enlighten exactly how you straightened it as I have about four Speedlines all the same

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the jack and hammer method...didn't work. I suspect it will look better than it was but the last 3-5mm won't budge...at least it didn't on mine.

Jack, have you measured the diameter at various points around the circumference to check its round?

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no I have not, but as long as the tyre seals and balances ok I think it will be ok. I had one wheel that looked like a fifty pence coin and that was ok.
Incidetally Mangos sell em for £83 plus vat and they have em in stock.
Also I am gonna claim off the highways authority for the damage.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dunno about your theory on oval rims begin ok when balanced. Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Blew the front o/side, and got it professially repaired, but rotated it to the rear, when I got it back. The rear o/side had also caught the pothole, and damaged the rim, but not enough to blow. Got it balanced and put on the front o/side, can now feel in about 60 on the motorway. 10 out 10 for trying though!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the tyre can accomodate a certain amount of untrueness in a rim. Any that is why I have never had one that did not balance. I reckon most speedlines are a little bent. They are made from play dough I think

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Good luck claiming anything off the local council etc. I have now bent 3 OZ SuperTs and never got anything other than "We consider our schedule of road inspection adequate" from the swine. My only revenge has been to report every single pothole I find. Once they know, they ARE liable and can't dodge the issue.

Shame these damn wheels are made out of such soft material and so little of it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers chris, actually you have given me some good info, I took a photo of the pot hole and I have now noticed that the road has yellow paint marking indicating that the hole is scheduled for repair. In my book that is an admission of liability.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
JackPJW said:
Cheers chris, actually you have given me some good info, I took a photo of the pot hole and I have now noticed that the road has yellow paint marking indicating that the hole is scheduled for repair. In my book that is an admission of liability.
I lost a wingmirror a while back to a HUGE pothole and a broken sticking out railing (pulled steering and clipped mirror) the local council wouldn't budge for 9 months! and to be honest they are banking on you giving up! :rant:

Hints.

Take lots of photos
Register every letter you send to them
Phone them and the insurers regularily
Use the highways regulations guideline to back up your claim
and whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP honestly if you're not that bothered I wouldn't start. I won and got c. £200 but it was hard work!

Good luck :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have put the wheel back on and touch wood it seems fine, no vibration and drives straight.
re my technique I simply put the trolley jack inside the back of the wheel withe the base of the jack directly opposite the dent and put a large (22mm) socket on the jack point and jacked it up against the dent and brayed it with my hammer. I have measured it and whilst it is far from perfect it was only 1mm off the other diameters. This appears to have been taken up by the tyre bead. It seems air tight and I have not even bothered to get it rebalanced.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
ALFAPAT said:
Ithink you will be very lucky if it fixes I did the same and a friend with a 155 ,if your dunt fixes could you enlighten exactly how you straightened it as I have about four Speedlines all the same
Pat, give Neil McBride a call. He's looking for dished Speedlines.

·
Registered
564 Posts
On my way home this afternoon I encountered a raised manhole, it took out 2 drivers side tyres and put a nasty ding in the DSF wheel. I contacted the local council and they are looking into it. :eek: :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
:confused:

Letters? Phone calls?

Just take the b******s to court. That livens things up a bit, sharpish.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
564 Posts
daiblack said:
On my way home this afternoon I encountered a raised manhole, it took out 2 drivers side tyres and put a nasty ding in the DSF wheel. I contacted the local council and they are looking into it. :eek: :( :( :( :( :(
Had a call from the council and they gave me the name and address of the contractor as they are responsible. Anyway I took photos and have kept all reciepts and the 2 tyres and sent the contractor a letter, I think I'll call them tomorrow just to see whats happening. ;) ;)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Funny I should find this thread today... I just took three bends out of one speedline and a single bend out of another last night! They are only going to be used to keep a car off the concrete, so I don't care about the roundness, just their ability to retain air.
Best method I found is a rounded head hammer (well not a sharp edged/cornered one) weighing about 1lb, give the bent part of the inner wheel about 30 good solid whacks in an area focused around the centre of the flat-spot. Measure and repeat with about 15 or so whacks to allign. Then bend the outside rim in using the same process, but go easy as you don't want to take too much laminate off... Sand the area down lightly, and spray with grey undercoat!

I have previously repaired two 164 alloys I put on my 145. Don't think they are speedlines, but they sure as hell take a dent easily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts