Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i have written before i'm looking to replace my exhaust, initally thought about a cat back system, but what are the pros and cons of replacing the rear cat with a silenced pipe?

sorry if this has been discuss ad infinitum but i dont think im too good at the search function as again nothing showed up.

Peace
Vis

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
The pros are you might get marginally more power, the cons are you mightfail the MOT on emmissions.

Have you thought about buying a sports cat - I know Alfaholics do one for the GTV?

·
Vendor
46,595 Posts
I don't think the last cat is actually a cat - a replacement from Alfa costs very little in comparison to a cat from other models, and if you take it off and look through it there is no ceramic monolith inside. I think it is simply a silencer which has been labelled as a 'silenced catalyser' on eper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I replaced mine with a pipe when i put a silenced ragazzon mid section on, as the mid section came with a pipe to replace the so called 'cat'.
This 'cat' is a straight through perforated pipe, i have no idea what it is meant to do as i was expecting to see a monolith type structure.
There is no increase in noise with it off.
If your replacement exhaust bolts on to it just leave it be, if not take it off, but keep it just in case as they are expensive to replace.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts