Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After commenting on a previous thread about the 2.4JTDM(200) making strange noises on start-up from cold, for a minute or so, somebody suggested using a fuel additive (my apologies, I cannot remember who that was!)

I have just put in a bottle of Miller's Diesel Power EcoMAx One Shot boost, and filled the tank. I also have the regular additive for future tanks.

I am aware of a 'clean-up' period, whereby it takes a while to take effect (~200 miles), I was just wondering what others experiences were - is there a noticeable difference in performance/MPG?

Unfortunately there is no decent diesel around (only supermarket stuff) near me, so wanted to get the best I could by other means!

Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry, but all tests I have seen gives Snake Oil feedback on additives. Lots of promises and no facts to back any kind of benefits.

But at least its expensive so youre bound to feel a difference to justify the expenditure...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I am in the habit of regularly (2 or 3 times a year) putting system cleaner through mine, had it in the last tank and yes its difficult to really analise it but it does seem quieter when cold now and definatly smoother when its warmed up, more like a petrol, maybe im imagining it though!

I always use Shell fuel and ocassionally V stuff if doing a tank in one go, going on holiday etc...

I have used the miller too but i always forget to take it with me so cant really commment on that....

A colleague at work has a 320d and had a lot of hesitation issues, i gave him some of the ecomax stuff and he started using non supermarket fuel and within a tank of fuel the issue he had has gone and not been back.... he was quite dubious about it too to start with but it seems to have worked.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ta for the feedback so far!

Speaking to a couple of mates that both have SEAT Cupras, they swear by using the V-Power stuff in their petrol engines, claiming there's a definite power/economy benefit.

I do think there may be a certain placebo effect though.

I know what I got out of my last tank, if the next couple are better, and the engine feels smoother, I guess it's worth an extra quid per tank. Not exactly scientific but that's about the best I can do!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
A true test for a fuel or an additive would be to not be awre anything has changed. Get someone else to fill up the car and not tell you what fuel you have or if the additive has been put in. I've never been able to test either without it making me alter my driving style. As soon as you put it in you start looking for changes.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I put V Power in my petrol Brera for 6 months and it made no difference at all to either economy or performance. It did however increase the speed at which money left my bank account though.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I put V Power in my petrol Brera for 6 months and it made no difference at all to either economy or performance. It did however increase the speed at which money left my bank account though.
LOL.I run mine on super diesel and it is in rude health according to the dealer.Long may it continue.......

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I used to get quite noticeable rough running and power loss during DPF regens and this has largely gone away since I started putting a dose of diesel treatment into every tank. Of course it isn't a double-blind trial with a control, but the stuff isn't expensive and I'll keep using it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guys

I did a little experiment a few years ago. I regularly go to France and can do up to 2500 miles in a visit, my mpg is usually in the region of 43 mpg- covering all types of driving. On the first occasion I had 2 extra passengers for about 700 miles.

My next visit- in winter I added millers additive and did about 1600 miles. The results- 2 mpg less !!!

All independent surveys say don't waste your money. The only positive one I've seen was a Sunday Times (don't know how scientific this might be) which suggested Shell Fuel Save may give greater mpg.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I tried Redex Diesel additive for a few months. I was doing 2 tanks of Tesco diesel to 1 of Shell. In the Tesco fuel I added half a bottle of the Redex as a precaution to the non "premium" fuel. Didn't see a rise in economy or power, so stopped after 2 bottles worth.
Now that the Shell garage has opened 1 minute away from tesco, the 2 price match, so now stick with the Shell. Seems fine to me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You often hear people stating that there is no difference between supermarket fuel and the big brands because they recently saw the local Tesco station being filled up by a tanker with Esso written on the side.

As I understand it, being yet to purchase my own filling station, the raw fuel that is delivered from the tanker is supplimented by an "additive pack". This additive pack is a closely guarded secret and contains detergents, anti-gumming agents for diesel etc.

Whilst your local Tesco may get their fuel from an Esso distribution point, the additive pack means that the fuel from the pump is not the same as the one you get from the Esso station down the road. This explains the issue Tesco had with damaging peoples lambda sensors a while back.

If you accept that there is a difference in performance between supermarket petrol and the main brands (which there are plenty of reports to suggest), the additive pack is going to be the primary differentiator (ignoring procedures about tank draining, cleaning, RON deteroration over time, etc). If filling station additives make such a difference, it seems unfair to rule out aftermarket additives such as Millers and Redex as being Snake Oil.

Some of the aftermarket additives promise an increase in RON. Assuming this is correct, the right car will be able to advance the ignition timing and give greater power and efficiency, as is the case with V-Power.

Personally I fill up with Shell V-Power diesel. If I had to fill up from the local Tesco (which is the same price incidentally), I'd be using Millers Diesel Plus on each fill.

Ian A.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've used diesel additive for 3 years of the 4 years we've had our 159 1.9 jtdm. I always use Esso, Total or Shell V Power on long journeys. For the first year of ownership the only thing i did was get a remap, which improved fuel economy. After which we had EGR issues which eventually led to me replacing the EGR. Since then i have added Millers once a month (approx 1,000) and there is a slight improvement in mpg 1/2 and no problems with EGR etc. My once a month millers dose costs me £12 a year, i am happy to pay that princely some for a slight MPG and cleaning benefit!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Not sure about economy/performance, but running a few eco max treatments through has certainly cleared up the slight judder I had whilst idling, so it's at least cleaned something out!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Guys

I did a little experiment a few years ago. I regularly go to France and can do up to 2500 miles in a visit, my mpg is usually in the region of 43 mpg- covering all types of driving. On the first occasion I had 2 extra passengers for about 700 miles.

My next visit- in winter I added millers additive and did about 1600 miles. The results- 2 mpg less !!!

All independent surveys say don't waste your money. The only positive one I've seen was a Sunday Times (don't know how scientific this might be) which suggested Shell Fuel Save may give greater mpg.
Cold temperatures reduce fuel efficiency, so not really a fair test.

I've never put an additive in mine but religiously use v power diesel and although each tank full costs more I'm only spending the same on fuel each month compared to regular diesel so make of that what you will.

Oh and it definitely runs better on v power, quieter and more responsive at low revs. For me it costs me no more to run v power and the car runs better so it's a no brainer really.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cold temperatures reduce fuel efficiency, so not really a fair test.

I've never put an additive in mine but religiously use v power diesel and although each tank full costs more I'm only spending the same on fuel each month compared to regular diesel so make of that what you will.

Oh and it definitely runs better on v power, quieter and more responsive at low revs. For me it costs me no more to run v power and the car runs better so it's a no brainer really.
Me too,... probably get abuse for 'pointlessly' throwing money around on fuel as well as 'premium' tyres now:lol::lol:
Ran it from new on V Power so nothing to compare it too, but never had any problems or excessive noise/EGR problems etc so make of that what you will.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, a fair bit of debate. I agree, it might not make a massive difference, and any seen might be placebo, but if you're happy paying, that may not be such a bad thing.

Personally, I'll see how it runs after a couple of hundred miles - I've got 10 tanks worth now anyway so can't harm to put it in. The point made about the 'additive pack' at the pumps is quite convincing though, and if true, I might stick with it, as there is no V-Power or equivalent near me.

BTW I've heard that the ECU takes a while to work out the grade of fuel is better, and then injects less as it is running more efficiently. If this is true, wouldn't doing 1 tank 'Premium' followed by one of cheap not have any benefit and 'confuse' the ECU?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I ran the car with Vpower, system cleaner, and some eco max in once (richer mix than recommended too).... was literally like rocket fuel, its never been so quick, next tank happened to be BP Ultimate and it was like driving with the boot full of bricks, just didnt want to know after the cocktail that id fed it previously..... :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi...

I can understand adding Redex etc. to a diesel engine, my 156 SW 1.9 was always indicating, there was an engine problem!

The economy of the 1.9 was fantastic, but the constant illumination of those engine warning lights :cry:

When we bought the new car, it was one of the reasons why, we returned to a petrol engine, the new 2.0 Diesel was available (Brera II) but we decided on the petrol version.
I don't think petrol engines are so sensitive as the diesel engines are to 'Supermarket Fuel' I travel to Scotland from Hampshire on a regular basis, I was so pleased with the economy of the 1.9 Diesel.

I've tried Tesco petrol and BP Ultimate, in my new 1750 petrol engine (27300 miles) on these trips I've found no difference in economy, but, I continue to use the BP Ultimate because I 'think' it's doing my engine some good :thumbs:

Best regards,

Hamish

1 - 20 of 20 Posts