Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone out there knows the answer, hope it's not too technical. My Thema turbo can be thrashed!lays rubber sometimes, bit of torque steer , not quite as bad since BWE fitted Nylatron anti torque steer bushes, different lower wishbones, Eibach progressive's on the 4 corners,Eibach anti-roll bar and so on, and apart from the very early cambelt problem already mentioned, it's never had belt/tensioner/idler problems.Obviously has similar contra-rotating balance shafts, so is basically, if not exactly the same as the Alfa's engine in my wife's 2.0l 147.- which I have to be so wary of regarding belts/stretchers/idlers etc. What's up Doc?

W

·
0 Posts
Yes, you do. It's the same engine as fitted to the 155 Q4 and I wouldn't want to push the belts too far on one of them.

Whilst not as fussy as the Twinspark engines I've heard of a few with broken belts...so beware :D

wrinx

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have been fairly cautious Wrinx over 14 yrs. of ownership. as you know, the belts on the 'Lannie' are pretty easy to get at, so frequent examinations are not difficult. Only snag was the idler bolt that rotates,when attempting to remove it, ok with an air impact tool, but had to make a tool up to lock the thing to enable me to apply 80 ft lbs or so. Borrowed a device that fitted from the local Kawasaki agent, but the jaws started to spread at about 60 ft lbs or so !! Searched the scrap box, quarter plate to engage gear slots, hacksaw, arced bits together, sits in box labelled idler toolHappy Motoring!

·
Registered
38,457 Posts
Having owned a Fiat coupe witht the same engine I would change the belts every 36,000 miles as per the Alfa TS. They don't have the same tensioner issues as the TS engine but the cambelt itself is considerably thinner (In width not section) so can be more likely to snap because of this.

Simon.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah! Simon, so were the ones on the Integrale engine more substantial,wider as well perhaps? Often wondered about this.Have to be honest though,apart from having bought belts with bits of fibre sticking out, smartly returned, no real problems,well not in the past 14 yrs. or so.Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
38,457 Posts
As far as I know the engine as well as belts is the same in the 16 valve integrale as the 16 Valve thema and 16Vt Fiat coupe.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmn' that's what puzzles me even more then, because as most of us know the 'Intes' were fabulous at Rallying way back, and seeing how they were caned, proved reliable enough to win, win, win. I started to think they must have chains with the abuse they got! Probably need to ask Viva Lancia.Whoops, sorry!!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think you would probably find the belts on a factory rally car would be of a slightly better quality and substantially higher price than the ones we can buy for our road cars...
a bit like absolutely everything else on a works car in any form of motorsport

36k or 3 years for belts, just to be on the safe side, especially as i am certain that its an engine with clearance for valves. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts