Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just rebuilt the head after slamming all 16 valves because of a timing belt slip, and obviously I used a new timing belt. However, I didn't change the counter rotation belt or the auxilliary belt and now i've got what I can only describe as a "whining" belt type noise, a bit like you get on supercharged cars. Whilst it actually sounds quite good, it obviously isn't right. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas if it is actually likely to be a belt and if so why? Or is it more likely to be an induction "whistle"??

I reckon I'll change the other two belts anyway just to make sure. Could it make this noise if the counter rotation is slightly out??

Just a bit puzzled.

·
Registered
171 Posts
:( Have you checked the tension of the belt, it may too tight, this causes the belt to put more pressure on the various bearings, and will make a whining sound.

Also check that the cover is not touching the belt, easy mistake to make

·
Registered
38,298 Posts
You should really change all of the belts as they don't like being re-tensioned.

The noise may be the result of a failing tensioner (the usual cause of belt issues), the water pump or one of the belts may have been overtightened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts