Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: hi,driving along when grinding sound and injector light came on .car stopped and would not restart.looked under hood and saw belt with teeth on both sides sticking out of cam cover but cambelt is still attached what is damage done from this belt.i have dropped it at garage thanks to aa tow.what does this belt do?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Not good news I'm afraid. The cam belt turns the cam shafts which open and close the valves at the correct time as the pistons go up and down. The TS engine is an interference engine meaning that if any valves are open when a piston reaches the top then the piston will hit the valves and bend them (under normal running conditions with the belt fitted, no valves will ever be open when a piston reaches the top). With no cam belt and the engine continuing to turn it is inevitable that some valves will have been bent.

With a snapped belt if you've been trying to restart the car (turning the engine over on the starter motor) then you can probably expect to find 16 bent valves. This will require the head to be taken off and rebuilt with new valves (and possibly new valve guides as well). Alternatively you could try and source a secondhand head which is in good condition.

Cost wise you are probably looking in the region of £500+ to get it fixed using a secondhand replacement head and if you go the reconditioned head route (new parts to your own head or an already reconditioned head on an exchange basis) then £800+.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so even if cam belt is okay still major damage done by balance belt snap.still 800 is not as bad as ithought

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cam belt was okay but toothed on both side belt was snapped are we still in high repair with this

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If a balance belt snaps it usually gets caught up in the cam belt and causes that to either snap as well or to slip round on it's pulleys which will also result in valve damage.

Without a balance belt fitted an engine will start and run without problems so that fact that you say the engine will no longer start suggests that the cam belt has slipped round and caused some bent valves.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Even with bent valves and engine will run, but if the cambelt sliped 2 or more teeth then the ECU will stop the signal to the coils because you have a difference in the signal from the cam and crank sensors.

But alas this sounds terminal, the fact you heard grinding confirms it's the cambelt tensioner that's exploded (get a pic if you can, I bet it's the plastic type), turning the engine over again on the key will only have worsened the damage, but you will need AT LEAST, Big end shells, 4 valves, 4 tappets, head gasket, tube of liquid gasket, oil, antifreeze, full cambelt kit, full balance belt kit, full Aux belt kit, Tools - M6, M8 & M10 Ribe, T20 T30 & T40 Trox, 7mm, 9/32", 10mm, 13mm, 14mm DD, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm spannrs or sockets, cam locks 1.8/2.0, torque wrench, plug pliers, valve remover, stanley blade, philips, flat blade screwdrivers, piston ring compressor and finally a micrometer to check the crank big ends.

To strip the engine would be 3 hours with it in the car, and if the list above was all it required then the same again to rebuild it, the trouble is that you don't know what's needed till it's open.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha ha ha ,so really not too bad......where is nearest bank i feel a rob coming on.will keep you posted..i hope you are all wrong...denial is my only comfort tonight dont ruin the moment..luv ya all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts