Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, I know, it makes sense to change it while the belts are off but there’s no sign of it rattling after 35,000 miles and I always keep the oil topped up to the max. level with Selenia Racing.

Can I get away with it and save £100(ish)?

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
It's one thing to keep the oil topped up, the other to keep the oil very clean and change oil/filter every 6 months/6,000 miles as an absolute minimum. Variators do not like dirty oil.

I'd change it. You'll only start crying if it plays up a few months down the line.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Had my belts done at Alfaworkshop and wanted to save some money. 2 months later, bloody thing gave up!

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
did my belts last year, noise went after 3 secs, thought that was OK, so did not bother

today? it sounds like purple's taxi service

oh, saves me talking to the mrs for a weekend :lol:

·
Registered
38,890 Posts
Change it.

I don't think it is worth risking it starting to rattle just after the belt change and I always change them as a matter of course when doing the belt. Especially with sods law and all that.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was in a similar situation a few year ago with my 156 and didn't get it done.

6 months down the line, you guessed it, cambelt snapped. Lesson learned there and then for me. Change it. :thumbs::)
The V6 doesn't have a variator does it? :confused:

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,532 Posts
£100 on a variator is cheaper than £1200 on a new engine mate :)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
depends how skint you are! It won't break anything if it does start rattling. At start up the rattle is just the variator filling with oil. It happens after the seal on the back of it goes hard with age as far as I know. The oil then drains out when the engine is off.....

It's only a problem if it rattles all the time. And even then it shouldn't break the belt - it's the tensioners that do that! You'd just be down on power. AND it'd need changing ASAP then, too.

HOWEVER, if you can afford to do it then personally I would. Get the water pump checked out while the belt is off as well. My mate's has just had to be changed at 37k cos it was leaking. Fortunately the head was off for gasket replacement anyway!

of course, alfas being alfas, it'll start rattling within 1k of belt change if you don't change it..... :D

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,532 Posts
it shouldnt but on the off chance that it lets go and takes some valves/pistons/big end bearings with it

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A variator won't 'let go'. It will just rattle.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get the water pump checked out while the belt is off as well.
I had a new water pump fitted when I had the belts (+ tensioners + variator) changed the first time @ 3 years/22,000 miles.

It's now @ 57,000 miles only 2 years and 2 months later.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
I had a new water pump fitted when I had the belts (+ tensioners + variator) changed the first time @ 3 years/22,000 miles.

It's now @ 57,000 miles only 2 years and 2 months later.
Yes it's been suggested the waterpump be changed every second belt change. They're quite robust and should be good for 72,000 miles/6 years.

·
Registered
405 Posts
im in the noisy variator club too. garage where i bought the car did a cambelt change when they first got the car and didnt change the variator. car bought and 2 months later my car sounds like a taxi. so i have the job of taking a brand new belt off and changing the variator. oh well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts