Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My infamously shiny etna black mito has today been keyed by one if the countless to$$ers who reside/frequent dartford.

It is fairly deep (at least to the prime) and the runs the best of the boot between the mito logo and the other side. ( will have picture tomrrow before and after my attempts to wax it off)

I already have the touch up paint from alfaromeo (etna black as dealing with constant stone chips)

However I was wondering if anyone has any advice on reparing these things, I'm very dubious about going to a cheep repair place/ chips away as I am an proud alfa owner, combined with being a pretentious prat!

Anything like a filler putty designed for these cars, rather than sanding it down, so then I only have to paint, lacquer and the. Buff the excess away!

Sorry about ranting but as you can all probably understand I am FUMING!

Want to gut them. . .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
573 Posts
terrible news

same happened to mine before a few years back. such a c**tish thing to do

I got mine re-sprayed perfectly by crawley down group

small trek for you but worth it if you want a perfect job - they should remember how to mix etna. however also accept that it costs a bit (mine was keyed practically bumper to bumper across three panels so cost c. £800). if it is just the boot than should be half as bad cost wise

etna is a bit of a lottery, the first place i went did it basically gold, so for peace of mind i'd make the journey

·
Registered
493 Posts
****ed even more than u mate. Took my car into workshop today and under light I noticed my mito had been keyed all the way down passenger side and then spotted some 'stone chips' on side door and skirts.
I recon its the mark of a London cyclist. One did squeeze past last night but didn't hear anynoise.
Am so I recon it was the handle bars and metal foot pedals scratch it. Worse bit is it's all down to bare metal!!! :mad:
Note to self. Cut up any cyclist who try to squeeze past again....

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
a Cyclist is pretty unlikely to cause this mate, they would wallop the wing mirror.

Usual culprit....handbags in car parks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know how you feel. These people should be hung in my opinion, prison would be too good for them. I have only had mine for a month, it is covered in chips. I also bought it not noticing that the driver's & passenger door windows have been keyed - an interesting alternative to keying the paint. The scratches are quite long & annoying, but I have chosen to try to ignore them as they cannot be taken out - I would have to change the windows completely.

Going back to your keyed paint panels. Can I offer some advice? I had some paint work carried out on my last car, a Fiat Bravo (2007). It was done in my drive by a mobile chip & dent guy on a sunny & dry Saturday morning & he did a most excellent job. I am very fussy but Have to admit I was very satisfied with what he did - price £110 as opposed to £395 not including VAT. This will probably happen again. I would never throw loads of money at these types of occurances, it's just a waste & not worth it. Look round for a competent mobile repair guy, you will save a shed load of money & not notice any difference.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luckily I think on closer inspection a good polish with my machine polisher and ultra deep shine should sort it out as it hasn't gone down to the bare metal.

May take a few goes to get it looking right, but I'm hoping slowly and surely will be the right option.

As for mobile chip and paint repair companies, I got a quote from a guy at chips away, and he said it would be £150 and not guaranteeing a perfect paint match as my car is Etna black!

The work would involve stripping the paint around down to the primer and then building it up again. All seems a little excessive in my opinion but then my problem isn't as bad as first thought

Let us know how you get on pinky!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My infamously shiny etna black mito has today been keyed by one if the countless to$$ers who reside/frequent dartford.

It is fairly deep (at least to the prime) and the runs the best of the boot between the mito logo and the other side. ( will have picture tomrrow before and after my attempts to wax it off)

I already have the touch up paint from alfaromeo (etna black as dealing with constant stone chips)

However I was wondering if anyone has any advice on reparing these things, I'm very dubious about going to a cheep repair place/ chips away as I am an proud alfa owner, combined with being a pretentious prat!

Anything like a filler putty designed for these cars, rather than sanding it down, so then I only have to paint, lacquer and the. Buff the excess away!

Sorry about ranting but as you can all probably understand I am FUMING!

Want to gut them. . .

any pictures? before and after?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
any pictures? before and after?
Going to give it one more going over on my next dry day off the. Post the results. Been using t-cut carefully and the.n polishing up with ultra deep shine. Hopefully have some before pictures saved to post as well.

This method seems to be working really well, if slowly, on all the imperfections on my paint. Mild chips and scratches, as well as getting rid of the horrible chip pen repair blobs from the previous owner on the bonnet.

Would recommend for all dark cars!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts