Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it would appear that I didn't do the best job in the world sealing the bell housing to the gearbox (have a feeling it was not cleaning the old sealant off well enough). Anyhow there are definitely a few drops of oil on the garage floor below this interface. When looking under the car it actually looks like the leak is from the large bolt that holds the two half casings together (the one that runs between the two shafts - circled in picture) but i don't see how this would be possible so maybe this could just be where the oil is collecting after seeping through the joint.

So the question is do I need to pull the gearbox and disconnect the bell housing and do a better job at sealing it? or could I clean up the joint on the outside and apply some sort of sealant there?

Thanks for the help in advance (just once I thought it had gone so well)

Picture taken from this thread on alfabb: Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums - View Single Post - Adventures in Transmission Rebuilding or Transmissions for Dummies!!
DSC03457circled.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just been under the car again... this time with an inspection light. It actually appears the bell housing/gearbox seal is good.... not a trace of oil there. The leak does seam to be coming out of that bolt.

Any solutions for that? Being quite a low torque I don't want to just crank it up at the risk of damaging anything....

Is it feasible for a leak here? I would have thought with the cast tunnel on both halves of the casing (what the bolt joins through) this would be unlikely.

Cheers again,

Stephen

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
PTFE tape on the thread or a proprietary thread sealer?

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
if the sealant originally used to put the 2 halves of the tranny casing together, is deteriorating at that 'cast tunnel' where it joins together, oil could find its way down and out through that nut.

Like Squadrone, I would think if you took off the nut, cleaned up the threads with brake cleaner spray, dried it off and used some oil resistant sealant, it might do the trick......for a while at least.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help.... looking closely it's seeping under the washers to so maybe some sort of seelent needed there to...... I've just loosened the bolt and a nice stream of oil came out. Considering the gearbox has just been rebuilt I presume the half casings should be sealed properly and this area should be oil free. Is that correct?

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
yes, the casing halves would have been (as in 'should have been'!) meticulously cleaned and then torqued together using sealant......AR recommended Diring Heldite jointing compound, which is a UK manufacturer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts