Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have been on holiday I put the GTV into the role as daily driver, yes the super hard Koni's do become wearing and the uncomfortable seat does give back ache after a while but the reward of that magical V6 and handling is worth it.

Anyway stopped at a garage convenience store last week, parked and a 330 BMW pulled up next to me and as I was walking I heard to one guy in a heavy British accent "Yeh, that got the epic Busso V6, best sounding V6 ever made", felt quite good about that and as it happened we left at the same time.

"Listen to this work of art", other dude says "Nah we wont hear it".

Well you can guess what I did....nice few throttle blips which had most of the forecourt turning their heads.

I was thinking the other day how sad it is the younger generation wont be as exposed to the great V6 engines with 4 cylinder and turbo engines being the new way.

I may look at getting a GT this year as a daily driver....V6 of course!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yip... Alfas do get a bit more attention than others. Did a camping trip threw Swaziland to the coast over X-Mas and had many visitors that were more interested in my GT than the wildlife :thumbup: Even at the boarder post control, they were more interested in the car than checking the luggage.

Sidenote: talking from experience... the GT as daily driver can be pain in the :censored: with the non existing side/rear view, especially in heavy traffic and when parking. And from a cost perspective, I am glad I chose the diesel, even tho I do miss the sound of a busso.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
And this is what I'll miss when I sell the last of my Alfa's...this time last year I had 3 Alfas...if things go according to plan I'll be left with 0 come march. I've been battling trying to find a worthy replacement for my GQV...a car that garners so much attention when driving its at times unwanted.

Alfas do that, VAG's and BMW's etc don't do that, unless its a BMW i8...no one will even look twice, but the point is Alfa's are so rare it demands that second glance, that neck snap to see or hear what that was.

:smoker:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
On page 1 of this forum chat about the Squadra Corse these BMW and Golf driving people state that they would never have bought their cars if it wasn't for the tuning potential... :cheese:

GTV's are spectacular cars. I always have people admiring my car and men checking out my 4pipe :smoker:

·
Registered
343 Posts
The "rarity" of Alfas are what makes it.

I took my GMA down to Durban for the holidays and it got the attention in the forecourts (I was getting something to eat, didn't need to put in fuel until after a few days driving around DBN 16KM/L!!). The looks make it and there is just something about the paint colours, especially the Rosso Marinello red.

I took my friends Italian father for a spin. He tells me he had a Guilietta in the same colour back in the day. He loved every second of it and wants his son (my friend) to buy a Guilietta. Sadly my friend is a Honda fan.

I parked my car next to my friends Kia Rio and the looks are amazing. There is no doubt that while the Rio is a good car, its no Alfa and simply lacks the sex appeal that you get from the historic marque.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah. Get plenty of admiring comments from petrol attendants when filling up. On my road trip I stopped at Kokstad. I literally had about 10 attendants come round the car and ask me all the details of the car. Where does any other brand get attention like that. It was a big Engen with plenty BMs and Audis around. Surprised the manager did not come out and complain the guys were not attending waiting cars!

Do miss the Busso though. How their eyes lit up lifting the bonnet.

Funniest comment I got from an attendant was while he was checking my oil was Alfa Romeo, they have strong dipstcks. The Polos snap easily. I had to laugh....wondering how peeved that Polo owner was...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Funniest comment I got from an attendant was while he was checking my oil was Alfa Romeo, they have strong dipstcks. The Polos snap easily. I had to laugh....wondering how peeved that Polo owner was...
Off topic, but why would you let someone on a petrol station forecourt check your oil?
It's possible the guy doing it may be skilled and take care, but it's more likely that you'll just get oil dripped over your engine bay, plus a possible misidentification of the oil level.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I stand alongside them always and do check. Don't see any danger in them doing anything nasty to the engine bay while I am there guiding them.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Not surprising, I get positive comments and admiring glances at the Giulietta all the time. Yes, especially in the forecourts. My previous 145 attracted more attention and comments as it was so rare. It's amazing how the younger kids admire the Giulietta.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Not necessarily always a compliment, but it can be fun to watch people standing by the road's heads whip 'round when blipping the throttle of the V6. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The funniest thing that happened to me was driving through an area where residents were engaged in a tense moment with a group of people who were walking through their area, as I happened to drive up towards the scene not knowing about this. I approached and unfortunately as I realized what was going on (neighbours don't generally discuss gardening by screaming across the street while being armed with pitch forks and spades) and had to drive through the scuffle "in a hurry" so as not to get caught up and I nudged the throttle a bit closer to the floor and as I passed between the two groups on opposite sides of the road, I heard people on both sides shouting "Yoh! Maak'it! Sies jong!" which basically is Cape Town slang for "Yoh! Maak'it! Sies jong!" :cheese: I'm from Cape Town. I can't translate that without losing the context... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hahah, the closest equivalent of that in a Gauteng neighbourhood that I have experienced was while driving through an unfamiliar residential area when suddenly encountering a speed bump which I could still brake for easily. After negotiating the bump, into 1st gear and up to 60 km/h quickly again.
An old couple was walking by the side of the road, and the woman, upon witnessing the rising growl and scream of the V6, lifted a finger and angrily pointed it at me. :biglaugh: :lol: I imagine her saying to her husband: "Hulle moet hierdie jaag duiwels vasvat!"

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
for me one of the best things about having a 76mm exhaust is when some ***** is walking in the road is trying to make you slow down/go around him - full pavement to walk on but its like an arrogance thing. They know you're there and step in the road acting like they aint seen you - I call it "Playing the Game". The disbelief on their face when they hear you giving it a boot full :biglaugh: ... smiles for days.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Petrol attendants in Durban love the Guilietta, I've received quite a few compliments from them.

Probably the best compliment that I've received from a stranger was a young kid who who used to work at a local car wash. He always admired my car and one day I came back to find him taking pictures of it from every angle he could. He must have taken about 20 or so pics before he realised that I was standing there waiting for him to finish :biglaugh:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
yesterday I went to test drive a C63 AMG...I pulled up in GQV all glistening...I parked it right infront of the DP office.

I drove the C63 out and the security said that 2 people wanted to know if my car is on the lot for sale...they'd be interested. I laughed and said they should take notes.:thumbup:

Reactions: Ian Lusso

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
yesterday I went to test drive a C63 AMG...I pulled up in GQV all glistening...I parked it right infront of the DP office.
That's one more Alfa on display at that Merc dealership than is on display at the Brooklyn Alfa dealership's property... :irked: :furious:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts