0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... not the best developed country
to be growing up in, according to
UNESCO.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6359363.stm

Shameful

Is it just me (looking through rose glasses) thinking
it wasn't that bad in the 70s/80s when I was young?

France is pretty low too. (Likely due to the
ridged schooling system.)

:( :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Blame the parents!! Some people shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

I think you are right Nev it was better when we were kids(although i'm a bit older than you.)

:(

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well... if the government invested money IN the country instead of in Iraq (had to have a pop), improved the NHS instead by paying more doctors and nurses instead of p_ssing millions away on supersonic and not-so-value-for-money IT programs... and funded the educational system... likewise, Ken could stop fu__ing about with numberplate recognition technologies and use the money to build a few schools and hire some teachers instead of parking attendants... should I go on? It's a sad reflection of where the priorities have not been... the basics!

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I also (as a resident Brit) feel ashamed.

Can the UK regain these key social values?
Are role models or the traditional family unit/life so different in other countries?
What happend to the "innocence of childhood"?
How did "we" get so dysfunctional? So disrespectful?

I'm sure there is more of a collective responsibility required, but it's difficult not to try and pinpoint specific causes (too long working hours, child poverty, crass media/advertising, proximity to American culture etc).

And STOP BLAMING THE GOVERNMENT for this!!! Jeez - that's just way too easy!

I want to be a good parent - but maybe the society I live in has broken down (in comparison to other countries) to such a level that family life, as I'd like to see it, will be all but impossible.

Isn't it the most difficult job in the world already god dammit!!

Maybe I should have stayed in Holland

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't help to see 15 year olds
running around "putting a cap"
in each others ass.

WTF is that all about!?

·
Registered
507 Posts
As long as the main focus in society is material wealth it will never get better. The idea of doing anything for anyone else simply because you want to help is gone, replaced by 'what's in it for me'. Sad.

·
Registered
11,735 Posts
I also (as a resident Brit) feel ashamed.

Can the UK regain these key social values?
Are role models or the traditional family unit/life so different in other countries?
What happend to the "innocence of childhood"?
How did "we" get so dysfunctional? So disrespectful?

I'm sure there is more of a collective responsibility required, but it's difficult not to try and pinpoint specific causes (too long working hours, child poverty, crass media/advertising, proximity to American culture etc).

And STOP BLAMING THE GOVERNMENT for this!!! Jeez - that's just way too easy!
I want to be a good parent - but maybe the society I live in has broken down (in comparison to other countries) to such a level that family life, as I'd like to see it, will be all but impossible.

Isn't it the most difficult job in the world already god dammit!!

Maybe I should have stayed in Holland
I'll second that - it's a parents responsibility to bring up there children not the governments, a friend of mine works as a part time helper in a jnr school - she is amazed at how many kids get to her at 4-5yrs old who can't read or even know how to play with toys without smashing them to bits.

My mum and dad taught me how to behave and what was/wasn't acceptable not their local MP.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
As long as the main focus in society is material wealth it will never get better. The idea of doing anything for anyone else simply because you want to help is gone, replaced by 'what's in it for me'. Sad.

images.jpg

...You're welcome.

:mad:

Doh! Blamin the government! :rolleyes:
Our society changed irrevocably during her dictatorship. God bless ya' Thatch...

.... and no, I'm not Ben Elton ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I worked in education for a long time and can say I really do blame the parents.

A clip round the earhole worked wonders and yes too many come into school not knowing enough. And I was amazed at how many parents blamed the school for little johnny screwing up their coursework or exams or taking the kids side every time they got into any trouble. I hung up on a fair few.

When I was at school and did anything wrong... no way was my family going to side with me over the school or teachers. And rightfully so, I was a *****!!

There is such a lack of respect in society as a whole.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I dont think it's as black & white as to just blame it all on the parents! Ok there are alot of people who shouldnt have kids. But lets face it, the goverment is'nt helping...

There's alot of different reasons why things are so messed up! I mean the majority of problem kids will be from poorer area's, where parents cant get descent jobs, so have to work long hours, and dont have time/energy needed to parent properly...

Sure theres alot of them who just dont care, and cant be bothered to get a job, but i think there in the minority.

My brother in-law is a social worker, and works with troubled kids, there'll not all bad, just messed up, problem is, once you've hit the social rock bottom it's not that easy to get off it again!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd agree with the lack of respect now. I flashed up a little chav in a Corsa on the way home tonight while in a queue of traffic because he had no lights on (trying to be helpful). So he winds down the window and in a voice full of attitooood, says 'my lights aren't working, alriiight?!' I was so stunned, I didn't have the presence of mind to say 'well don't drive the car in the dark, you little f*ckwit!!!' Doh!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Interesting discussion: my country is at the # 1 spot :wow:
If you see what is wrong here in guiding children with problems etc. I can hardly believe we deserve that spot...

Government to blaim ? Or parents ? Or both ? Fact is that with the ever increasing (finacial) ressure more and more (read: too many) people have to work to keep their heads above the waterline; this means often both parents must be working full-time and this results in less attention to their children. (even a VU (free University of Amdeterdam; a very progressive University) study shows: children where both parents work full-time have 70% more chance of getting into criminality/drugs etc)

Safe playing grounds is an other issue: in the Netherlands most playing gardens are dangerous ! If every playing garden was closed that does not fit the criteria, nearly all would close immediately... But: no money spent (shame on the government for that)

But: the main issue (imo), plain and simple: respect (read: the lack of). In that area the governemt plays a large role too. As an example: Look at the TV not even politicians (people who have a role model) can listen to what their opponent has to say: utter and complete lack of respect.

Then: what to do ? Difficult. I can only judge for myself and my daughter: I live by the principal of circles of influence. In the direct influence circle: you have to do it your-self. The influence circle: try what you can do. The outer circle (ie larger circle: Government HAS to take up the role). No matter what the Governemnt does not do, thaty is no excuse imo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts